Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #181
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
I think this is important:

Kindle DX will be released this summer. Pre-order Kindle DX now to RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN LINE. We prioritize orders on a first come, first served basis, and we will notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date

first come, first served ... I hate that sound.
I just love how they do everything to increase desire for the thing, yet we still have no sales figures even for the original.

OK... after mocking their self-generated interest, I have to admit that I may get one. My Rocket needs a new battery pack... I may retire it.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #182
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Sale figures for the original are ~500,000 for the Kindle 1 and 300,000+ so far for the Kindle 2.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #183
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
The KDX appears wonderful for reading PDFs, newspapers and so forth...but I question how useful it will be as an academic solution. $500 will purchase a netbook - I read (fiction) ebooks using my Eee 4G 7" with the backlight turned very low, for hours (I am in my 50s and wear glasses for reading) with no eyestrain problem. A netbook has much additional functionality, and a 10" size with a 6-8 hrs battery would provide a student with day-long use.

Also, most universitys use some sort of internet-based course management system to provide notes, interaction and other electronic content to/from students - the Kindle would not address this requirement - so the student would have to purchase 2 devices? Ouch.

A dual-display (eink + backlight) tablet/netbook/laptop would be ideal in an academic environment. It doesn't seem that the Kindle DX will provide enough functionality for that particular market segment.

I will find it very interesting to see what happens as the university trials roll-out this coming year.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #184
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
CNet article:
Quote:
The Kindle DX runs you $489 as an upfront investment, and the average student spends $488 on new and used course materials a year. In a nutshell, Amazon is asking the average student to fork over more money for the Kindle and then buy the textbooks too.

Add it up and the average student is losing money on the Kindle DX in that first year. Let's say Amazon can halve your textbook costs to $250 a year--you'll still be shelling out nearly $750 in year one.

Over two years, a student will still be behind on the Kindle DX return. Going the paper route on textbooks yields a two-year cost of $976. But the Kindle still runs you $13 more over two years.

In year three, that student will start saving money via the Kindle ($1,464 on paper textbooks vs. $1,239). The big caveat here: I didn't include the used-book market and assumed that the Kindle DX still functions well. Another big assumption: All the textbooks you'll need will be available on the Kindle (not likely). If Amazon can cut a student's textbook costs to $100 a year, the case for the Kindle DX would obviously look better.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #185
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
CNet article:

Quote:
The Kindle DX runs you $489 as an upfront investment, and the average student spends $488 on new and used course materials a year. In a nutshell, Amazon is asking the average student to fork over more money for the Kindle and then buy the textbooks too.
Wow, that's cheap! I had to pay about fl.500 for my books (which would translate to about 400$, I think...) and I did one of the cheapest courses you could get (only a few books required).

Anyway, if Amazon would really be smart, they'd make the reader cheaper for students. Buy all your books at Amazon and get the reader for half-price (or something like that...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #186
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Anyway, if Amazon would really be smart, they'd make the reader cheaper for students. Buy all your books at Amazon and get the reader for half-price (or something like that...)
They'd probably be more interested in an "extended" (2-3y) warranty, in stead of the silly 90-day one that comes with most purchases in the US.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #187
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc View Post
I'm terribly disappointed they didn't find a way to use all that extra screen real estate to display newspapers in a more newsprint kind of way. Perhaps an exact replica of newsprint isn't possible on the DX, but it would have been much more interesting to do something approaching it. The DX presents newspaper content in the same uninspired way the Kindle 1 and 2 does-- a way that looks like an MS Word document with a picture inserted at the top. Hopefully, Plastic Logic's trial with the Detroit papers will take a different approach.

On a more positive note, I do love the native PDF support, as it would allow me to finally read all the academic journal articles I need to that come in PDF, which I cannot read on my Sony Reader. Still, I think I'll wait to see what Plastic Logics has to offer
You can still go to the online newspaper areas and see them that way.
Right now the K2 fits an entire webpage of complicated columns (well, 3 or 4) onto the little 6" screen portrait-mode of course, using TINY letters but the font is actually readable for a nearsighted person like me. But the grayshades substituting for website colors is pretty bad when the letters are so small. Seeing it in the landscape mode of the 9.7" will be quite good. In the meantime, for just quick reading I have that NYTimes Latest News 3x a day, and the pure text with very good navigation is fine by me, on the K2.

Here's a multi column pdf to show what the DX can do -
http://images.pcworld.com/news/graph...0112_slide.jpg

There are a lot of good examples in the article it came from.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #188
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
The only occasions before this, that I have heard such a furore of interest at something new coming up, are when a Harry Potter book is released and when the first IPhone was released 2yrs ago.
Hats off to Amazon at successfully launching a surprise, much wanted option..

I guess this is just about enough to keep Kindle DX off the shelf for quite some time..
after a few lazy weeks in the flea market, this week I see a sudden spurt in sell notices..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #189
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Perceptual Shift

When I switched from a Sony 505 to the Kindle 2, one of the cons was that the K2 is larger than the 505. Despite that, I've found that for me, the K2 is easier to hold and page through. But still, the K2 is larger.

But now, with the Kindle DX out there, my K2 all of a sudden seems small indeed. In fact, it now seems to be the paperback form of the Kindle lineup, easily transportable, and cheaper than the hardback version!

Funny how perceptions shift...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #190
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Sale figures for the original are ~500,000 for the Kindle 1 and 300,000+ so far for the Kindle 2.
So... are those actual sales figures, or guestimates made by people who haven't got the hard numbers?
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #191
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
They are guesstimates based on hard numbers by respected analysts who are usually right about such things. You may disagree with them, but if you disagree with them by more than 50% you are very probably wrong.

One reason I suspect they haven't reached the million mark yet is because that's often a number to crow about ("Over 1 million Kindles sold!"). We'll see if Amazon makes such an announcement in the next 2-6 months.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #192
R o d
R o d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook Simple Touch
It says native pdf support, but not free pdf support. You still have to email your pdfs to Amazon for them to get loaded on your DX. And they charge for that, right?
R o d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #193
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post
You still have to email your pdfs to Amazon for them to get loaded on your DX.
Only if you want them delivered via Whispernet, and the $0.15 per MB could then get expensive since some PDFs are large. Otherwise, copy them over USB from your PC for free.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #194
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post
It says native pdf support, but not free pdf support. You still have to email your pdfs to Amazon for them to get loaded on your DX. And they charge for that, right?
In the manual (on page 107), it is mentioned that you can copy the un-DRMed files (mobi/azw/txt/pdf/mp3/audible) directly to Kindle and read them.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #195
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
almost every post not on this website says its too much, but still, right now. it's a great price comparitivly.
There's a lot of rumbling about Apple getting ready to issue a media player that will be something on the order of a kingsized iPod Touch - an iPad.

If Apple issues an iPad at about the dimensions of the KDX screen, it seems to me that the KDX will die a quick death at any price short of free.

Even now, I can't see any reason that a student would buy it, unless it's subsidized by the university. And there's the answer, I think - this thing's going to be free for students. I don't think that Amazon really thinks that very many ordinary readers are going to buy one.

I think that the ordinary reader is going to get a K2, and the nominal price of the KDX might have been set to make the ordinary reader regard the K2 price as relatively reasonable.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote