Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Spotted at DFW: Sony Reader vending machine!

One can purchase the Sony Reader from a vending machine at Dallas-Fort Worth airport. Swipe your credit card, and it's yours!

My apologies for the poor picture quality.

Related: Sony Vending Machines (Kiosks)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony1.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	13765   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony2.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	13766  
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
One can purchase the Sony Reader from a vending machine at Dallas-Fort Worth airport. Swipe your credit card, and it's yours! My apologies for the poor picture quality.
What was the price?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Now, that's a good idea. They should set up a Kindle machine too ... that way you could load up on books before your flight.

Does the Sony come with books already in memory?? Or, is the purchaser supposed to link up to their computer via wifi at the airport??

The only reason I hate to use wifi at the airport is ... it's usually so expensive.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Does the Sony come with books already in memory?? Or, is the purchaser supposed to link up to their computer via wifi at the airport??

The only reason I hate to use wifi at the airport is ... it's usually so expensive.
Unless it's free like at the Tampa (redneck) airport.

BTW: My sony came with some sample ebooks pre-loaded.

BOb
Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Unless it's free like at the Tampa (redneck) airport.

BTW: My sony came with some sample ebooks pre-loaded.

BOb
You are never going to let me live that comment down ... are you bOb??

Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Price was retail: US$299.99. All units I've seen come with samples pre-loaded. This begs the question of who would buy it from an airport vending machine. I can only guess the answer is "someone who has been hearing about these, thinking about it, has a few hours and a few hundred bucks to spend".

That said, I did see someone buy 3 PSP games, and another person buy a set of expensive headphones. So, who knows?

I use WiFi at airports, but I'm not the one paying. An increasing number of people (based only on my own personal observation) are using cell-phone network cards, so that's an option, too. EVERYONE is toting a laptop, so it's actually conceivable that someone buys a Reader, loads the software, connects to the internet, and starts downloading the 100 Free Classics, while waiting around at the airport.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Price was retail: US$299.99. All units I've seen come with samples pre-loaded. This begs the question of who would buy it from an airport vending machine. I can only guess the answer is "someone who has been hearing about these, thinking about it, has a few hours and a few hundred bucks to spend".

That said, I did see someone buy 3 PSP games, and another person buy a set of expensive headphones. So, who knows?

I use WiFi at airports, but I'm not the one paying. An increasing number of people (based only on my own personal observation) are using cell-phone network cards, so that's an option, too. EVERYONE is toting a laptop, so it's actually conceivable that someone buys a Reader, loads the software, connects to the internet, and starts downloading the 100 Free Classics, while waiting around at the airport.

Yeah .... I could see that. And, I've been thinking about getting one of those cards myself.

However ... for me at least, I think that's when the convenience of Whispernet is really going to shine. It will be nice not to have to go through all of the extra steps just to grab a book.

In fact ... I do hope they continue to put a lot of the best sellers in Kindle format. It has been my experience that the bookstores at the airport charge an arm and a leg, and part of your left butt cheek, for books. I like the idea of browsing in the bookstore, and then just popping over to the Kindle store and getting a copy.

You know .... either way, going through the computer or going straight from internet to ebook .... isn't life just grand once you've taken the leap to an ebook???
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
You are never going to let me live that comment down ... are you bOb??

Naw... never is a long time

[Jimmy, don't aim that shotgun at your sister... just at the rats.]

BOb
Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think that may just possibly be the coolest thing I've ever seen. Didn't we speculate about such a kiosk type setup only a week or so ago? I remember filing it in my head under "retirement income ideas." But the idea of a vending machine is just orders of magnitude better than a manned kiosk.

The last airport book I bought was a thin throwaway paperback for 13 euros. That was when I decided it was past time to get an electronic reader.

So PH: Are they new machines, or did they look like used ones? That seems like too good of a price to be an airport price for a new one.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think that may just possibly be the coolest thing I've ever seen. Didn't we speculate about such a kiosk type setup only a week or so ago? I remember filing it in my head under "retirement income ideas." But the idea of a vending machine is just orders of magnitude better than a manned kiosk.
I think there was talk about a kiosk to buy eBooks and plug your ebook reader into it to get them. But, this is a nice idea too. Of course, I think Sny is following Apples lead... it was several years ago when I heard about the first iPod vending machine.

BOb
Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

299.99 is the MSRP, and that's what they sold for. This was all new equipment. Whenever I say "kiosk" I always mean an un-manned, self-service, automated gizmatronic thing. This was simply a vending machine, no ebook downloads.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
[QUOTE=pilotbob;203268]Of course, I think Sny is following Apples lead... it was several years ago when I heard about the first iPod vending machine./QUOTE]

I had no idea Apple did that! I'm learning so much interesting stuff today.

Oh, and kiosk to me is a hotdog cart. Another possible "retirement income idea." Also, I picked up an idea from a man in the Bahamas who had a great business, made $100 in one hour per day, then spends the rest of the day at the beach being retired. I'm not gonna tell what it is, but it involves sand and rum. :-)

BTW, I'm thinking of retirement ideas, because in 4 more years, I'll retire at age 51. So I'm thinking of fun things to do a couple of hours per week, so that I won't turn into my dad. Early retirement made him a very depressed, unpleasant, and unfulfilled man, because he was retired for longer than he worked.

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-23-2008 at 03:04 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The vending machines are by ZoomSystems. So far as I can tell, there are two Sony Access kiosks at DFW (terminals A and D1) but no others. There are lots of iPod vending machines.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Same thing happened to my dad. He retired with no plan or anything to do. Just thought something would come along and he was miserable.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think there was talk about a kiosk to buy eBooks and plug your ebook reader into it to get them. But, this is a nice idea too. Of course, I think Sny is following Apples lead... it was several years ago when I heard about the first iPod vending machine.

BOb
That's a great idea to have vending machines you plug your reader into and buy books. Great thing to have in an airport.

Mind you, I am so paranoid about running out of books on my Sony, I always have a half dozen or so unread books in my queue.

Last edited by MickeyC; 06-23-2008 at 03:29 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote