Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
watchintv
watchintv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Norton 360 reports Calibre 0.7.31 as behaving suspiciously

Just updated to 0.7.31 and when I restarted calibre norton 360 immediately popped up and announced that calibre was behaving suspiciously.

Unfortuantleyly Norton didn't say what calibre was doing to casue it to show such an alert.

It rated calibre as high risk, report below

Any idea why this would be the case?

Not Available

11/27/2010 at 4:26:22 PM
Last Used:
11/27/2010 at 4:27:56 PM
Startup Item: No
Launched: Yes
Threat Details
SONAR Protection monitors for suspicious program activity on your computer.

Downloaded from Not Available

Source
calibre.exe
watchintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
norton 360 is an ass

Seriously, see http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...a-virus-trojan
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
watchintv

Quite possibly (Norton 360 is an ass), however, it is not saying that there is a virus, but that this new version of Calibre seems to be doing something "suspicious" that the previous version (0.7.29) I had was not. So it would seem that something changed since 0.7.29 that has casued Norton 360 to be conncerned.

Perhaps the switch to python 2.7 has casued some behaviour change at startup ?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The point is that whatever the behavior change is, it is benign, so norton 360 shouldn't be flagging it.

The number of times that various anti-virus *cough*money spinning*cough* programs have flagged calibre over the years is not funny. Just search for antivirus in this forum.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
My Avast antivirus has absolutely no issue with Calibre whatsoever.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
norton 360 is an ass

Seriously, see http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...a-virus-trojan
no, seriously, kovid, tell us how you feel about Norton..

Oh.....and welcome to MobileRead, watchintv........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
watchintv

Your point is well taken, however I don't think you should just write off such products, after all there is allways the possibility that software is contaminated after writing the code (e.g. the compiler, malware on build system, or the webserver, or on my PC, etc.)

Sometimes it does make sense to check out the smoke to see if there is realy a fire.
A number of big software names have managed to release software that was infected post build, it is unfortunate, but it happens.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
watchintv

Desertgrandma, Thanks for the welcome !
Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Mayhap Kovid needed to supplement his income? (Just kidding!)

I would tell you all how I feel about Norton 360 (or any other Symantec product with the possible exception of Norton Ghost) but Mama told me not to use those words (and I wouldn't want to give the MR censors a field day).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I would tell you all how I feel about Norton 360 (or any other Symantec product with the possible exception of Norton Ghost) but Mama told me not to use those words (and I wouldn't want to give the MR censors a field day).
I agree completely, the OP should avoid Norton like the plague.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I agree completely, the OP should avoid Norton like the plague.
Actually, methinks the plague would be preferable.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I would have put a lot more credence into Norton's report if it had identified an actual virus/trojan rather than "suspicious behavior". To me anti-virus programs flagging "suspicious behavior" is like the teachers in my grade school who would always assume I was up to no good because I much preferred sitting in the last row.

And then if it does find what it considers to suspicious behavior, it doesn't even bother to tell you what that behavior is/why it is considered suspicious.

The mere fact that norton 360 dislikes 0.7.31 is not nearly enough to get me to take it seriously.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay lets clarify something here.

Does paying for a antivirus program such as Norton or McAfee, give you anymore protection than say Avg or Avast which are free?

Or should I start a new thread?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Norton is not an ass. It's not that good. Norton tries to do things it thinks are what should be done and gets it wrong too many times. So you ed up with stuff not working or false positives.

And one problem is that if you do not uninstall Norton properly then you may botch your system. You have to find out how to remove it before you do so your system will work after you uninstall Norton. It gets in an digs in rather well.

I use Comodo and while it pops up for thing it doesn't understand, once I tell it what it's asking about is ok, it doesn't bother me again.

Avoid Norton like you would Windows ME. Norton also is heavy on system resources. It take too much memory and can noticeably slow down the system.

As for AVG Free, it works well sort of. It works well except for the fact that when they went to version 8, they slowed it down too much to be useful. I noticed the system slow down when I went from version 7 to version 8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

AVG free used to be good but recently, as JSWolf pointed out, it is now a resource hog. Avast free is still good and a lot of people like MSE (Microsnot Security Essentials). Team either of those with some good free antimalware programs, like Malawarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, etc. and do regular scans, you will be fine.

Tags
calibre malware report