Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #1231
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There is no 2.1.1 update being released in Canada as far as I know. I have no idea how someone bought a device in Canada with this as the "base" firmware--maybe they got a device that should have gone to Japan???
Makes sense to me. I just thought I'd give a sync a check just to see.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #1232
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Are you having margin problems with epubs from feedbooks.com? Because personally, I've found them to be some of the best "behaved" epubs on the internet.
Kind of. To test it I downloaded a free book from kobo (The Redeemers by Micheal Scott Miller). On opening it, I found that the text was much bigger, it was double line spaced and the margins were wider. I tweaked the settings to get it to my preferred text size and margin width (the line spacing slider was already at the lowest point, so it looked like I was stuck with that). Opening my current feedbooks book (Moby Dick), the text was tiny and there were no margins at all.

I don't know why this would be the case, it is probably due to the css on one or the other book (I suspect the kobo book has a margin set, which is then added to the margin set on the device - thus making an extra-large margin, for example).

One thing which is for sure though, is that it would be a real pain in the ass if I wanted to read the two books in parallel because every time I opened each book I would need to play with the page setup to get it how I prefer. When I noticed a similar issue the first time, it was just the margin that was different, but this time the contrast was really stark, in order to have readable sized text in Moby Dick, I had to set the font in the other book so the letters were about 10mm high. In my opinion, the device should be able to override any css in the book so the text always appears the same - rather than needing to change it for each book individually. (Actually, I am suprised that epubs set things like text sizes at all - I feel that it would be much better if the text style was all handled by the reader, and the epub just told the reader what each bit of text was - a heading, body text etc. - but I am sure someone more intelligent than me made that decision for reasons opaque to me).

Incidentally, I know I could use calibre to change the page settings for my library wholesale (though I am not sure if this works with books bought from kobo) - but I prefer not to run it, and as long as I am working through the feedbooks catalogue, it is not really a problem for me.

Last edited by scoobertron; 09-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #1233
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes, I have noticed that different books sometimes need different margin and line-spacing settings to look similar on the Kobo. I assume this is largely due to the general lack of firm standards for epubs. It's not like, say, MP3 where one MP3 file will play exactly the same on every single device.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #1234
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
In general, the margin control issues have been related to calibre formatted or user formatted books--not kepubs or ePUBs with their original style sheets (with or without DRM)
To be a little picky...

It isn't really a calibre thing. It is whether margins are set in the stylesheet of the epub. The margins are the @page margins and possible one other type.

The reason that calibre gets blamed is that its default format conversion options set them. The size of the margins could always be adjusted, but the ability to not set margins at all was added a few months ago.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #1235
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
Kind of. To test it I downloaded a free book from kobo (The Redeemers by Micheal Scott Miller). On opening it, I found that the text was much bigger, it was double line spaced and the margins were wider. I tweaked the settings to get it to my preferred text size and margin width (the line spacing slider was already at the lowest point, so it looked like I was stuck with that). Opening my current feedbooks book (Moby Dick), the text was tiny and there were no margins at all.

I don't know why this would be the case, it is probably due to the css on one or the other book (I suspect the kobo book has a margin set, which is then added to the margin set on the device - thus making an extra-large margin, for example).
Was the book from Kobo a kepub or an epub? The font, margin and other settings affect kepubs differently than epubs. Hence, when you set it nicely for kepubs, going to a epub it will look wrong.

Quote:

One thing which is for sure though, is that it would be a real pain in the ass if I wanted to read the two books in parallel because every time I opened each book I would need to play with the page setup to get it how I prefer. When I noticed a similar issue the first time, it was just the margin that was different, but this time the contrast was really stark, in order to have readable sized text in Moby Dick, I had to set the font in the other book so the letters were about 10mm high. In my opinion, the device should be able to override any css in the book so the text always appears the same - rather than needing to change it for each book individually. (Actually, I am suprised that epubs set things like text sizes at all - I feel that it would be much better if the text style was all handled by the reader, and the epub just told the reader what each bit of text was - a heading, body text etc. - but I am sure someone more intelligent than me made that decision for reasons opaque to me).
Setting all these options in the epub is up to the author or creator of the epub. If they want to achieve a particular look, they need to set them. Overriding the style from the device would be good, but might give bad results for some books.

Quote:
Incidentally, I know I could use calibre to change the page settings for my library wholesale (though I am not sure if this works with books bought from kobo) - but I prefer not to run it, and as long as I am working through the feedbooks catalogue, it is not really a problem for me.
calibre can't handle kepubs, or anything with DRM (without some extra help).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #1236
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I don't use my Kobo that often due to the ghosting.
I'm looking at the new glo and wondering if that would be better.
My friend and I bought our Kobo's at the same time and she said she's using hers more now that she upgraded the firmware to 2.0. so...

I just upgraded to 2.0 the other day and I find my touch screen is very UNresponsive now. Does anyone else have this problem?

Where would I find the version before 2.0 so I can try that again.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #1237
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
I don't use my Kobo that often due to the ghosting.
I'm looking at the new glo and wondering if that would be better.
My friend and I bought our Kobo's at the same time and she said she's using hers more now that she upgraded the firmware to 2.0. so...

I just upgraded to 2.0 the other day and I find my touch screen is very UNresponsive now. Does anyone else have this problem?

Where would I find the version before 2.0 so I can try that again.
Ghosting? If you mean what I think you mean, have you tried setting the page refresh rate to a lower number, I have mine to refresh every 3 pages, default is 6, and I don't have any noticeable ghosting.

v1.9.17 can be found here, it's not recommended to upgrade to 2.1.1 although most have found it much better than 2.0 but some have had troubles with it. Better to downgrade to 1.9.17 and wait for the next official firmware upgrade.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1238
spiritanointed
spiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura aboutspiritanointed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Clicking "attempt to support newer firmware" worked for me too, but only kind of.

I after adding a new book to my KT, disconnecting KT, 75% of the time it doesn't process the content, and when it doesn't, the new book I added doesn't really show up on my KT.
It will look like it's there, the cover will be on my homepage, but then when I click to read the book, KT will smile at me and think and think and think, then go back to home and the recently added book will have disappeared.

Now, 25% of the time, KT *will* process content after I disconnect, but I'd really rather that be 100%! Sometimes I'm in a hurry, peeps ;D

Anyway, will there ever be a calibre fix for this I wonder???? It would be super!
spiritanointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #1239
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritanointed View Post
Clicking "attempt to support newer firmware" worked for me too, but only kind of.

I after adding a new book to my KT, disconnecting KT, 75% of the time it doesn't process the content, and when it doesn't, the new book I added doesn't really show up on my KT.
It will look like it's there, the cover will be on my homepage, but then when I click to read the book, KT will smile at me and think and think and think, then go back to home and the recently added book will have disappeared.

Now, 25% of the time, KT *will* process content after I disconnect, but I'd really rather that be 100%! Sometimes I'm in a hurry, peeps ;D

Anyway, will there ever be a calibre fix for this I wonder???? It would be super!
I wonder, is this Calibre's fault, or the KT not handling certain books properly? I ticked the same option, and I get 100% success with adding books using Calibre, but then, I probably get my books from different places to you.

Have you tried some of the well formatted books available from Feedbooks? http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain I downloaded 6 or so from them the other day and the 4 I have read so far work very well on the KT.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #1240
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritanointed View Post

I'm not convinced this is calibre's fault. I've seen similar behaviour using file manager to copy books across.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #1241
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not convinced this is calibre's fault. I've seen similar behaviour using file manager to copy books across.
Yes, I had a problem with a copied across book not appearing, and I never connect my Touch with Calibre running. I used Adobe Digital Editions to copy the file.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #1242
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Still no sight of land!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1243
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
Last night I upgraded from 1.9.x to 2.0.0, and then saw the 2.1.1 version, so manually updated to that.

[...]

Is anyone else seing the message "Network Error. Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we couldn't finish your update."? I do normally run with WiFi turned off for battery life, turning WiFi on stops the message popping up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
I tried re-connecting to my WiFi, that didn't help, but a quick power off/on rather than just using sleep seems to have stopped it doing it, perhaps it didn't think it had finished the firmware update?
Agh, I just got this too! I never use kepubs, but I just bought one and started reading it... as soon as I put my Touch to sleep, I got the same error message. I switched Wifi back on (I always keep it off), and then noticed that when I put the Touch to sleep the book synced its bookmark before actually going to sleep. How rude! Apparently having Wifi off doesn't stop it from wanting to do that.

Thanks for mentioning your fix: turning the device off (which gave the same error btw) and then back on again does indeed seem to have 'fixed' this for me too. I can now put the Touch to sleep with Wifi off without it wanting to sync.

(I'm on the unofficial 2.1.1 as well.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1244
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
... when I put the Touch to sleep the book synced its bookmark before actually going to sleep. How rude!
From the company that pushes firmware updates to you whether you want them or not, that seems quite tame
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1245
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Strange, my kobo touch connects to a wifi network a first time and then doesn't want to...
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote