Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@NiLuJe twobob mentioned to me that the 3.4 update does not like his custom kernel.
Can you imagine that? lab126 did not allow for users who have installed their own kernel?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: (Nearly) every update has at least a patch to apply to the kernel, so they all do a checksum verification on the current kernel as a sanity check. That of course means it'll fail with a custom kernel .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
For those of us with custom kernels installed, what would be the path to upgrading to 3.4? I'm currently at 3.3 with seaniko7's custom kernel.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
For those of us with custom kernels installed, what would be the path to upgrading to 3.4? I'm currently at 3.3 with seaniko7's custom kernel.
Three choices:

Open the update, remove any kernel related changes, re-pack the update.

Remove the custom kernel from the machine.

Wait until someone builds a custom kernel with 3.4 system files.
(Or build it yourself and donate it here.)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, I can't/don't know how to do options 1 or 3. How would I go about removing the custom kernel? Is there some kind of installer with the stock kernel?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Three choices:

Open the update, remove any kernel related changes, re-pack the update.

Remove the custom kernel from the machine.

Wait until someone builds a custom kernel with 3.4 system files.
(Or build it yourself and donate it here.)
Of your "three choices", I like #4 the best (build it yourself and donate).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that #4 would still mean hacking a custom rebuilt 3.4 update, or flashing a full partition via ATK/k3flasher.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that #4 would still mean hacking a custom rebuilt 3.4 update, or flashing a full partition via ATK/k3flasher.
K3Flasher can "dump" the full contents of a 3.4 firmware image without a working jailbreak or password(s).

I sort-of expect the same to be true for the Kpw. Should know in a few weeks.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Looking at the FW 3.x updates that do a *full* kernel flash (not a patch), like 3.3 / 3.4, the kernel checksums seems to be checked post-flash only, so, unless you installed custom *modules* too (those will have a pre-patch check), you should be good to go with a custom kernel. You'll just lose it during the update.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #40
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
KF8! Hell yeah! But... I'm too lazy to reinstall all those hacks, maybe next time...
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #41
AZImmortal
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwndrd View Post
KF8! Hell yeah! But... I'm too lazy to reinstall all those hacks, maybe next time...
NiLuJe mentioned earlier that it seems to leave the jailbreak intact, but I guess I haven't seen anyone who has actually confirmed this after updating. Does anyone have any comments regarding the preservation of the jailbreak and any hacks?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #42
ganburigan
ganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle3KB
I set my K3 into Factory-Mode before updating. All hacks were gone.
Now the update works fine, but i can't jailbreak it (with the correct file) any more .....

Last edited by ganburigan; 09-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.
ganburigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #43
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I updated from 3.3 to 3.4, jailbreak was still intact! I could install my german localization (which does not work properly on 3.4) which indicates clearly an installed jb.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #44
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Had no problems with the JB after completely clean install -> Upgrade -> JB.

(err other than I applied the wrong one once.... it's been a while, *when* I applied the **right one** worked fine...)

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added my shame
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, all my stuff is update proof .

On the other hand, doing a factory reset *without* uninstalling stuff before is *never* a good idea (unless you don't have any other choices), and may lead to head-scratching issues like ganburigan is experiencing... (That you'll have to fix by manually restoring the wiped parts of the hacks in the userstore: in the case on my stuff, pull the link* folders from the zip files and plop them in the userstore, then reboot).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-13-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Tags
3.4, kindle 3, ota, updates