Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L01 View Post
The problem seems to be that the computer initailly sees the reader as three distinct drives but all empty.
This isn't the source of the problem, its also happen to me under WinXP, but they rename automatically (after about 1 second) when accepting data transfer on the reader.

This make me think of a plug-and-play problem, first verify that the Plug-and-Play Service is Started (see Services in Administration Tools). You can also try to delete all your USB devices in Device Manager. Delete a single one first, count how many are remaining, search for hardware modifications in the Action menu, if the device you just deleted reappear, you can try to do the same on all the USB devices (in a single operation, it's too difficult to do that one after another), this sometimes reset some ports parameters/drivers settings. You can also try to search for an update of the drivers for your USB ports (depends on your PC motherboard chipset).

Come people appeared to succeed to fix their USB port problems by deleting C:\windows\inf\infcache.1 file (just in case it's required later, I'd rather rename it to something like _infcache.1_) before restarting their PC, but I never tried that myself.

Last edited by seabee; 12-28-2011 at 12:36 PM.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Mike L01
Mike L01 doesn't litterMike L01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
OK. The culprit was a program I've used for many years called Acronis True Image. I'd recently upgraded to version 2012 and it seems this has a problem with a number of removable USB drives. Found a Knowledge Base article on their website and a downloadable driver that cured the problem. Now as soon as I enable Data Transfer the computer recognises the fact and changes the folders from "G" & "H" to "Reader" and "Settings". Now I can use my reader the way it should be!

Thanks to everybody for their help on this one.

Mike
Mike L01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #18
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Thumbs up Good diagnostic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L01 View Post
OK. The culprit was a program I've used for many years called Acronis True Image.
Thank you for reporting your findings, added that bug with a link to your diagnostic to PRST1 Rooting and Tweaks Wiki (at the bottom)
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote