Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
scasey77
scasey77 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR350
Trouble downloading from both Kobo and Borders

I will start by saying that I have downloaded from Borders previously from this computer with no problems at all so I know it works.

Today I have tried downloading books from both Borders and Kobo to no avail. I click on the download link and it goes straight to an internet explorer error page with the following message:

Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to acs4.shortcovers.com:8080

It doesn't even get to the open/save screen.

Funnily enough this is only happening with my Epub format books. I was able to download a PDF book no problems at all.

I have tried turning off my Windows Firewall and still the same problem.

I have also tried using Firefox and same issue.

Any ideas? I phoned Borders/Kobo support and they have no idea and have forwarded it to their technical team but who knows how long it will take them to get back to me.
scasey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
It certainly sounds like your computer is blocking access to the web site for some reason.
I can log into my Kobo account and download an ebook in my library. I can also go to http://acs4.shortcovers.com:8080 in firefox without a problem. Though it is a blank page.

Have you tried clearing your cache in the web browser. Sounds like a firewall problem. Do you have any other firewalls apart from Windows Firewall installed ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
scasey77

Thanks for your reply.

I have just cleared my cache and tried downloading again - no luck.

I don't think I have any other Firewalls other than the Windows one but I am not fully versed on that side of things really.

I have downloaded my books in the past so I don't understand why my computer would suddenly be blocking them now. I can also download the PDF format books just not the ePub ones.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Could this be some kind of Geo Restriction? I'm at work so I cannot try that link at this time.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
scasey77

Shouldn't be geo restriction I don't think - although don't know a lot about it. I am buying from Borders Australian website and live in Australia so should be OK.

Borders are saying my computer must be blocking access but I have disabled firewalls and other security features and tried to download and still didn't work.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sometimes websites have glitches as well that come and go. Yesterday evening, for example, I wanted to view my Kindle orders at Amazon but when I clicked on the management link the page just wouldn't complete going over to where I wanted to go. This morning I tried it again and it went there with no problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
scasey77

I am hoping that is the case as I think Borders has had these types of problems in the past from a few threads I have found. I have been trying for 3 days now and it's still happening. Just hoping Borders comes up with a resolution soon.

If anyone else has ideas please jump in
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You may want to see if a mod would move this thread to the Kobo forum, where a Kobo staff person may see it, or ask the same question on the Kobo (official) support board at www.getsatisfaction.com/kobo
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
If anyone else has ideas please jump in
How many books are involved? Are they all books you just bought on the same day or are they books you already had in your library, mixed or what? Are they all the same publisher or which publishers?
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
scasey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You may want to see if a mod would move this thread to the Kobo forum, where a Kobo staff person may see it, or ask the same question on the Kobo (official) support board at www.getsatisfaction.com/kobo
I already have an ongoing support "call" logged with Borders (which is Kobo these days anyway) but they haven't been able to solve my problem yet. Unfortunately being in Aust means a big time difference so it has taken 3 days just to have emails go back and forward with no resolution.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
scasey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
How many books are involved? Are they all books you just bought on the same day or are they books you already had in your library, mixed or what? Are they all the same publisher or which publishers?
It is only about 4 or 5 books in total (I don't want to purchase anymore until the problem is resolved). All purchased at different times - 1 on the day the problem started and the others already in my library. A couple from the same publisher but the others are different publishers. The only thing they all have in common is that they are ePub format. The one PDF format book I have purchased downloads fine.

It is also just a problem specific to Borders/Kobo. The other websites I download from are fine.

I even tried uninstalling my Sony Reader software as that is the only new thing on my computer and thought it could be causing problems. Made sure all my defaults for ePub and ascm files were set to ADE. Still couldn't download.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey77 View Post
It is only about 4 or 5 books in total (I don't want to purchase anymore until the problem is resolved). All purchased at different times - 1 on the day the problem started and the others already in my library. A couple from the same publisher but the others are different publishers. The only thing they all have in common is that they are ePub format.
Ah sorry. No help there, then. Sometimes it is a problem with a particular publisher or book. I hope you get it straightened out.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Are you able to install another browser such as firefox or chrome? Might work, or may have no effect.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
scasey77

Have tried Firefox already - made no difference. Have also tried Safari.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Alastair
Alastair began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi, I would allow port 8080 in your anti-virus program. If you don't know how to do this simply type "allow port insert name of anti virus program" in to a search engine. Remember to check if your modem or router has a firewall as well. A search engine can tell you this if you type in the brand, model number and "firewall".

Sometimes updates to anti-virus programs can change some of the settings you had selected so that a process that worked well last week will no longer work. I hope this is helpful.
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote