Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Development documentation question (basic)

I've been trying to follow the instructions at:

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/develop.html

But I cannot get the "Hello world!" sample to print out after running calibredb.
It just shows calibredb help message.

I've tried both in Linux and Windows, installed the calibre binary, download the source code with bzr, set the "CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM" variable to point to the "src" directory and modify the "src/calibre/__init__.py" with the print statement.

Code:
vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src/calibre$ echo $CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM 
/home/vmplanet/calibre/src
Code:
vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src/calibre$ calibredb
Uso: calibredb orden [opciones] [argumentos]

calibredb es la interfaz de línea de órdenes para la base de datos de libros de calibre.

orden es una de:

Code:
vmplanet@kubuntu-vm:~/calibre/src/calibre$ grep -n Hello __init__.py 
24:print 'Hello world!'
Instructions look quite easy but I can't reproduce
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleccionista View Post
I cannot get the "Hello world!" sample to print out ...
I've tried both in Linux and Windows, installed the calibre binary, download the source code with bzr, set the "CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM" variable to point to the "src" directory and modify the "src/calibre/__init__.py" with the print statement.
Instructions look quite easy but I can't reproduce
I'll assume you have downloaded the source correctly. Run Calibre. It doesn't matter how you start it. Does the version number on the lower left of the GUI have an asterisk after it? It should be "0.7.47*" not "0.7.47." If it does have the asterisk, then you are running from source. If it doesn't, and I suspect it doesn't, then your "CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM" variable isn't pointing correctly.

Make sure the variable is correct (in Windows, just type "SET" at a command prompt to check.) It should point to the src folder that has a cherrypy folder inside it. Get that part working first.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Coleccionista
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'll assume you have downloaded the source correctly. Run Calibre. It doesn't matter how you start it. Does the version number on the lower left of the GUI have an asterisk after it? It should be "0.7.47*" not "0.7.47." If it does have the asterisk, then you are running from source. If it doesn't, and I suspect it doesn't, then your "CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM" variable isn't pointing correctly.

Make sure the variable is correct (in Windows, just type "SET" at a command prompt to check.) It should point to the src folder that has a cherrypy folder inside it. Get that part working first.

No, it does not. It's the calibre package from the Ubuntu distro (0.7.18)
But the folder and variable looks OK

Code:
vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src$ pwd
vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src$ ls
calibre  cherrypy  odf  pyPdf  routes  templite

vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src$ echo $CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM 
Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
It's the calibre package from the Ubuntu distro (0.7.18)
I'll let Kovid tackle this one, then, but I'd recommend installing the current version.
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

0.7.18 is ancient, and there's no reason to develop on such an old version anyway.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Coleccionista
Connoisseur

I don't know if it was because of the old version or something else but as you pointed I unistalled the calibre package, performed the manual install for calibre 0.7.47 and right after installation.

Code:
Run "calibre" to start calibre
vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src$ echo $CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM
vmplanet@kubuntu:~/calibre/src$ calibre
Hello world!
libprs500(5280)/ KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-vmplanet/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
Ok, that was the easy part. Now to do something useful.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Coleccionista; 03-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know if it was because of the old version or something else but as you pointed I unistalled the calibre package, performed the manual install for calibre 0.7.47 and right after installation.
If the source you were running was current and the package was too old, then Calibre won't run from source. Every now and then Calibre introduces dependencies that only get installed with the full package.

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. There's lots to do.