Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Cover Art Copyright

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out if the cover art is still covered under copyright? Is it best to just leave the cover image out for the MR uploads?

My understanding is that the cover art copyright could be held by the publisher or the original artist so using the country specific "death plus" rules the book itself might be out of copyright but the cover art might still be covered.

I found this that indicates that thumbnail images are considered fair use but the book covers tend to be larger then thumbnails.

http://johnmiedema.ca/2008/08/12/boo...whats-the-law/
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The US "works for hire" copyright length rules don't (I think) apply in Canada or most other countries. Copyright in the cover image is for life of the artist + 70 years. If the image isn't out of copyright (life + 50, since MobileRead servers are in Canada) don't use it. If you can't find who did the image, unless it's /very/ old, it's safest not to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out if the cover art is still covered under copyright? Is it best to just leave the cover image out for the MR uploads?

My understanding is that the cover art copyright could be held by the publisher or the original artist so using the country specific "death plus" rules the book itself might be out of copyright but the cover art might still be covered.

I found this that indicates that thumbnail images are considered fair use but the book covers tend to be larger then thumbnails.

http://johnmiedema.ca/2008/08/12/boo...whats-the-law/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert