Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #31
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I got hooked on quickly looking up a word on a dictionary using the Rocketbook. I continued to enjoy this using the MS Reader on an iPaq and Treo.

I didn't realize their was a way to unlock a mobi book. I still have a lot to learn. I understand your desire to have DRM free books.

Which ever way you choose to go both the 505 and Cybook are a pleasure to use. The technology gets better with each generation.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #32
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
macro shots

shots of cybook and sony grayscale with daylight lamp.
same conditions and same actions to make it available for website (from raw into png small size).

Attachment 7187

Attachment 7188

Last edited by julia; 01-04-2009 at 02:35 PM.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #33
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
sorry, here's a question for those pondering the difference of Gen 3 and 505.

Do these differences come out for graphics/illustrations that appear within an ebook?

Also, I'm still confused about mobipocket's support of jpgs. Their forum said that 64K is the maximum size, and that jpeg support must be manually checked on the Creator program for it to work. the cybook people said that they did support the hirsc attribute.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post
sorry, here's a question for those pondering the difference of Gen 3 and 505.

Do these differences come out for graphics/illustrations that appear within an ebook?
In the "real world" there is little - if any - practical difference. Both devices "dither" images so effectively that you really wouldn't know how many grey scales they support. Think of newspaper pictures; they are made up of only black dots and white space, and yet dithering gives the effect of multiple shades of grey. These readers display images the same way.

Quote:
Also, I'm still confused about mobipocket's support of jpgs. Their forum said that 64K is the maximum size, and that jpeg support must be manually checked on the Creator program for it to work. the cybook people said that they did support the hirsc attribute.
Again you really don't have to worry about it. Let the book creation software do it all for you. There's certainly no size limit on the how large an image can be displayed in a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
shots of cybook and sony grayscale with daylight lamp.
same conditions and same actions to make it available for website (from raw into png small size).

Attachment 7187

Attachment 7188
From the two photos, th Sony does show less dithering to get the different shades. It doe smake a slight difference as far as I can see.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But that's a highly artificial test case. I'm talking about "real world" pictures. As I've said before, I really don't see any practical difference in picture quality between my 4 grey-scale Sony Reader and my 16 grey-scale iRex iLiad!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll have to have a compare of my wife's 500 with my 505 to see what's up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #38
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I'm with HarryT. I have a 505 and a Gen3. The displays are very similar to me. In natural light the Gen3 looks "whiter". Pictures look great on both. I'm no expert - this is just my impressions/feelings. Nothing scientific <g>.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Sorry the picture didn't come out very good, I'll try to take better pictures if the sun is out tomorrow. I only have the CyBOOK so can't do side by side comparison.

I tried to get two different lighting conditions.
That would answer the question of quality. It seems that the image really has only 4 levels of gray instead of the 16 that I thought it had. There is another image with 16 distinct levels that may tell us more. I will find it and post it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I need to give html2lrf a go next time I convert a mobi book. I have a few library downloads I need to give a conversion go to before they expire.
This seems to imply that DRM'd Mobi books can be converted. Any more info on that?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This seems to imply that DRM'd Mobi books can be converted. Any more info on that?
It is MobileRead policy not to provide detailed information on how to break DRM. I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research.

Thanks,

Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is MobileRead policy not to provide detailed information on how to break DRM. I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research.

Thanks,

That's fine, no problem, I won't ask again, your playground, your rules.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-11-2007 at 01:35 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #43
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post

See Images in MobiPocket. Post #16 is the most relevant, and includes a link to a previous thread on a similar topic.

The vast majority of existing MOBI books have GIF images, and the typical color image reaches 64KB using GIF at a very small size (perhaps 300x300). So MOBI books have small images (smaller than other formats). This has nothing to do with the "hisrc" tag, which is still limited to 64KB per image. If you produce your own MOBI books using JPEG images, this problem largely goes away. For example, rather than using the original MOBI version, I download the DRM-free LIT version of multi-format e-books that include illustrations and then convert them to MOBI using ConvertLIT and mobigen.exe (-jpeg) to get larger images.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That would answer the question of quality. It seems that the image really has only 4 levels of gray instead of the 16 that I thought it had. There is another image with 16 distinct levels that may tell us more. I will find it and post it.

Dale
Here is the 16 level gray sheet for use in checking picture quality difference. How many come through and how to they look?

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16_shades_of_gray.png
Views:	404
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	7196  
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #45
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If this is like an earlier 16-level version, it will only show 15 levels on the iLiad - presumably because one of the near-white levels is different in its table than in this image. I found that a continuous grey shade image (from a post by IceHand) provided a better indication of the available gray levels.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote