Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
The Iliad's size is about 8" which makes it quite portable, I'd like it a little thinner and lighter... and colo(u)r.
The iLiad is lighter than the Sony Reader, even though it's bigger. For me, it's about the ideal size. An iLiad with "instant on" would, I think, be close to my perfect machine.

I'm really not bothered about a colour screen. Few of my books are in colour.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iLiad is lighter than the Sony Reader, even though it's bigger. For me, it's about the ideal size. An iLiad with "instant on" would, I think, be close to my perfect machine.
Is the matrix at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix wrong then? It says Sony 9 oz, iLiad 13.7 oz.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iLiad feels lighter than the Reader to me. Perhaps it's the weight of the leather cover I have on my Reader. Neither machine is exactly what you'd call "heavy".
Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #19
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
An 11" screen is too clunky to be easily portable, and the current 6" screens are too small for technical manuals and pdfs. Perhaps a good compromise would be a double 6" or 8" e-ink screen in a clamshell design. Use it in landscape mode for full-page pdfs and in portrait mode for reading novels. (As a bonus, the double page would more closely mimic reading a paper book).

The extra battery power to operate two screens would be offset by requiring fewer page turns. As to the weight and thickness of such a unit, all I can say is that each new generation of e-readers is getting thinner and lighter. The downside would be the cost of 2 e-ink screens if I'm correctly assuming that the display is the most expensive part of an e-reading device.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
The downside would be the cost of 2 e-ink screens if I'm correctly assuming that the display is the most expensive part of an e-reading device.
We've estimated previously that the screen probably accounts for about 85% of the cost of the current generation of reading devices. Certainly, if you need to have the screen replaced, the price of the screen + labour charges can not uncommonly be more than the price of buying a replacement machine.
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
An 11" screen is too clunky to be easily portable, and the current 6" screens are too small for technical manuals and pdfs.
To my mind, the A4 device wouldn't be something that I'd want to casually carry about -- that's what the 6" device is for. I see the larger one as more of a professional tool, like for your tech manuals. I'd use it in my office, or carry it in my briefcase, but not really wanting to mess with it for recreational purposes would inherently limit the amount of carrying around I'd want to do.

Tech manuals are a bit different, of course, because they typically get carried to the place where the work is to be done. But even the A4 device would at least be a lot lighter than a stack of paper manuals, so even managing the larger size would be a massive improvement.

But perhaps the rigid A4 would be better for purely office settings (teachers, professors, doctors, lawyers, "business" offices and the like), and some sort of ... resizable device (dual screened like you describe, or rollable or foldable or something totally new we haven't seen yet) will emerge for the more mobile large format need. I don't see why it shouldn't

The displays are currently quite pricey, but that shouldn't stay the case, and professional needs always accept higher prices than personal or hobby needs do. Witness my $20 home multimeter, compared to something like a Fluke that goes for upwards of $300.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If reader manufacturers shrank the bezels around the devices they could put in a bigger screen for the same size.

@HarryT
What is the readability of an A4 PDF on the Iliad? Is it comfy enough?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If reader manufacturers shrank the bezels around the devices they could put in a bigger screen for the same size.
True. I guess I wonder if the extra footprint isn't important from a structural integrity or display protection point of view ....
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

@HarryT
What is the readability of an A4 PDF on the Iliad? Is it comfy enough?
Generally speaking, the iLiad will display A4 PDFs pretty well. If you switch to landscape orientation, set a "crop area" to exclude the margins, and set it to show the document as continuous, rather than as separate pages, it works very well. Cropping is a built-in facility of the iLiad's PDF viewer - no need to "process" the file first as on the Reader.

If reading PDFs is important for you, the iLiad is a clear winner over the Reader.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If reading PDFs is important for you, the iLiad is a clear winner over the Reader.
Absolutely. No question.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Would be fine to read DIN A4 magazines and books =) ...

Iliad Max

go for it
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You pay a hefty price for it, though - over double the price of the Reader.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #28
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
What is described is basically an eink tablet computer isn't it?
I could go for that! But more towards a colo(u)r, 1/2pound, Iliad sized eink, full speed processing, flash based computer type. It would be more portable and I think that is where the market will point soon.
I'm not asking for much am I?
Actually, it's not like a tablet computer imo. A computer requires a display that refreshes quickly. It can display animation, etc. E-ink is a *static* display. You won't be seeing scrolling displays, or moving *anything* with an e-ink display. It is best for simply displaying static images, like, for reading. A computer generally uses a dynamic display as I see it.

WRT to the iliad, a screen that size would be great (together with an easy-to-use universal converter) for displaying common pdf files. I agree it provides a good compromise between being big enough but more portable than a full 11" display. A Sony-type Reader with an 8" (or maybe 9") screen would be hard to resist.

OTOH, I have zero interest in an iliad. The lack of an instant-on and horrible battery life make it a non-option. I simply want a device to read books. The Sony fits that bill perfectly for me--it is almost like carrying a paperback around (OK, maybe a huge stack of paperbacks!). But, I open it and flick a switch an d it is on. And recharging is a rare event. It is always available, quickly, like a paper book. Daily charging requirements and slow start-up are deal-killers for me.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #29
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Actually Harry It's more than double. The reader is $299 and the iLiad is $699, but I think the extra functionality and hackabiility more than make up for it. I have a sony reader, just because of the price but, I would love to have an iLiad.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I did say "over double"

Yes, I agree it's expensive, but for me personally it's well worth the price.