Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
rodhull
rodhull began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Google Reader crashing Kindle?

Just got my Kindle 3 a week or two ago, and I've been playing with the full version of the Google Reader pages which up until today was working fine. It's running the latest 3.1 software

Now, however it consistently crashes the browser and the rest of the Kindle it seems - it loads some of the page, and then the circular loading symbol stays spinning and all button-presses are ignored - you can't go back to the Home screen, or access the menu. Putting the Kindle to sleep then waking it makes no difference, and a hard reset is required.

I've tried on two Google accounts - one with ~25 subscriptions and another with none at all, and the results are the same.

Has anyone else experienced this? Sure it was working OK the other day, and have only just found out about the full-screen/keyboard shortcut tricks so was hoping to try it out
rodhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
sashagregor
sashagregor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, this has happened to me several times, as well. I have about 6 blogs on my google reader, but it does the same thing.
sashagregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
NoBull_Steve
Author
NoBull_Steve began at the beginning.

Yep. It didn't seem to do this when I first got it but I've had it freeze up the same way you describe on Facebook and on newspaper articles. It's gotten bad and I talked to customer service a few days ago. He suggested trying it a few days without the cover attached. He didn't think that would help but figured it would be worth at least trying it out. It hasn't helped and I'm at the point of probably asking them to ship me another one...unless this is a problem EVERYONE is dealing with.

Anyone with a Kindle 3 never have issues with their browser crashing?
NoBull_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
rodhull
rodhull began at the beginning.

Google have obviously made a slight change as to what is being delivered via that page, and the Kindle's browser can obviously not handle it anymore - it's likely something to do with Javascript (hence why Facebook suffers too).

The mobile version of Reader, and the "touch" version of Facebook seem fine, however - the mobile Reader pages are not as nice as the full, and also miss out on the "Fullscreen" option etc.

Shame
rodhull is offline   Reply With Quote