Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
How do you check a book for errors?

I know this has been discussed here in the past, but I can't seem to find it... I have one book on my Pocket Pro that I put together in Sigil. It does open and I can jump around in it (go to different chapters), but it is so. slow. I mean like, leave it open and go brush my teeth and come back and it's finally ready slow. I got to wondering if maybe there are errors in the book that make it so slow to open? It is slow to open, slow to change chapters, slow to go to bookmarks.... so is there an easy way I can check the book for errors? It's an epub, somewhere between 1 and 2 MB in size. Is there any other information I should give to help you answer the question? Also, it seems slower with the LBook firmware than with Astak firmware. But this is the only book I have trouble with. Everything else works peachy.

Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I know this has been discussed here in the past, but I can't seem to find it... I have one book on my Pocket Pro that I put together in Sigil. It does open and I can jump around in it (go to different chapters), but it is so. slow. I mean like, leave it open and go brush my teeth and come back and it's finally ready slow. I got to wondering if maybe there are errors in the book that make it so slow to open? It is slow to open, slow to change chapters, slow to go to bookmarks.... so is there an easy way I can check the book for errors? It's an epub, somewhere between 1 and 2 MB in size. Is there any other information I should give to help you answer the question? Also, it seems slower with the LBook firmware than with Astak firmware. But this is the only book I have trouble with. Everything else works peachy.

Thanks!
Have you tried epubcheck http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

be aware that there are a few false alarms reported.. Calibe has a command line tool that that make a perfectly legal (rule wise) conform to epubcheck's (over-)expectations.
Other things you might consider: avoid those monster sized "splits" inside a epub when practical (yes, you can have a 260K split, but a 60K one loads faster in ADE. I hear coolreader wants to load all of the book at once.)

Power cycle yor PEz when it starts to slow after many books (or a corrupt one), I found mine, got it's speed back
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Oh, wow... thanks for the info, theducks! I just ran my book and found over 1000 errors! Hm... maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble with it! I don't know what any of these errors mean... maybe I'm better off just not using this book.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Oh, and I can't turn off my Pocket Pro. The power button doesn't work, so I can't turn it off or put it into screen lock. But I didn't want to send it back because this was my second one (sent back the first one because of peeling paint), and I didn't want to keep paying shipping. So all I can do is reset.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, and I can't turn off my Pocket Pro. The power button doesn't work, so I can't turn it off or put it into screen lock. But I didn't want to send it back because this was my second one (sent back the first one because of peeling paint), and I didn't want to keep paying shipping. So all I can do is reset.
Reset should work, just exit your book first and wait for the LED to stop flashing.

Ick! You are having bad luck.

<Technician hat on> Does the button move, or is it jammed rigid?
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Reset should work, just exit your book first and wait for the LED to stop flashing.

Ick! You are having bad luck.

<Technician hat on> Does the button move, or is it jammed rigid?
The power button moves, but it's like it's not connecting with anything. With my first one, I could feel a little 'click' when I pressed the power button, and it would turn off, or go into screen lock. With this one, it's like it's not connecting with anything. Almost like there's a little marshmallow under the power button. It presses, but it just feels soft, and doesn't do anything. Does that make sense?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The power button moves, but it's like it's not connecting with anything. With my first one, I could feel a little 'click' when I pressed the power button, and it would turn off, or go into screen lock. With this one, it's like it's not connecting with anything. Almost like there's a little marshmallow under the power button. It presses, but it just feels soft, and doesn't do anything. Does that make sense?
Unfortunately
A WAG is the switch body or actuator is broken:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...598#post622598
The switch is near the upper Left corner of the circuit board picture (the little square thingie

The plastic button actuator (pale color at the right top of the back case inside) might be damaged, but not as likely.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Interesting pictures! When I first realized the power button wasn't working I thought about taking it apart just in case something wasn't connecting properly... but decided against it for two reasons. First, I didn't want to void my warranty. But most importantly, I wouldn't really know what I was doing, and figured I'd probably break it so it wouldn't work at all.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:
Interesting pictures! When I first realized the power button wasn't working I thought about taking it apart just in case something wasn't connecting properly... but decided against it for two reasons. First, I didn't want to void my warranty. But most importantly, I wouldn't really know what I was doing, and figured I'd probably break it so it wouldn't work at all.
If you are still having an issue, please email support@astak.com, and CC your email to jenifera@ezread.com so I can make sure they receive it!
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifer.ezread View Post
If you are still having an issue, please email support@astak.com, and CC your email to jenifera@ezread.com so I can make sure they receive it!
Thanks, Jennifer. I talked with Elliot shortly after I received my Pocket Pro. I've been able to work around the issue of the power button. He helped me figure out how to change the firmware without the power switch, so it's still usable. I don't mind not being able to turn it off, although I do wish I could use the screen lock so it doesn't change pages on me when I close the cover and put it in my purse. But I've found a workaround for that too... when I'm putting it away I just exit the book, and if it changes pages in the bookshelf view, it's not a big deal. Then I just open the book when I'm ready to read, and it picks up where I left off.

Thanks, though!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks, Jennifer. I talked with Elliot shortly after I received my Pocket Pro. I've been able to work around the issue of the power button.
Glad to hear it worked out! I use the provided cover when I want to keep the reader in my purse, but I'm sure that you could find a more stylish case or cover to prevent the button from being hit on Etsy or another site.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifer.ezread View Post
Glad to hear it worked out! I use the provided cover when I want to keep the reader in my purse, but I'm sure that you could find a more stylish case or cover to prevent the button from being hit on Etsy or another site.
I really like the included cover.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member

Just as an example, here is a designer on Etsy who could probably do a homemade spec. So cute!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58162032...rder=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title