Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #121
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That fact that the vast majority of ebooks currently being sold are sold through the Amazon Kindle store?
But some ebooks I have treid to find and have not beens old on amazon but more bespoke websites, thats the onla reason I atrated using others
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #122
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Question on the business side to self-publishers. As a self-publisher, do you just put your name as the publisher, or have you created your own publishing company? If you have set up a publishing company, have you registered it, or created a separate entity?
What are the pros and cons of each?
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #123
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodRing View Post
But some ebooks I have treid to find and have not beens old on amazon but more bespoke websites, thats the onla reason I atrated using others
I didn't mean number of titles (although I wouldn't be surprised to find that Amazon had more titles than anyone else), but that Amazon sold more copies of ebooks than anyone else, by a large margin.

This is obviously of interest to people wanting to sell ebooks. (Note title of this thread.)

Of course, as a reader, one buys ebooks from whichever legitimate outlet offers the book you want to buy at the best combination of price and convenience.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #124
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
I've had some success publishing my books on IvaNovella www.ivanovella.com

They are new which is not always bad, but there are no fees and they don't like DRM.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #125
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm..... I appreciate the information, but there are several strikes against ether as far as I'm concerned. iOnly is bad, I can publish myself for free without any contests etc. on many platforms including iStuff and actully get paid for it. Now there could be some good in shared publicity but not sure it would get to my target audience just as there is in giving away free ebooks and downloads, but....

Anyway, thanks but no thanks from me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #126
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've recently taken the plunge into self-publishing some of my work as eBooks. I went through Smashwords, as well as amazon, since the two aren't linked up. Although Amazon is a definite heavyweight, I dislike that you cannot put free books on amazon.

The Smashwords meatgrinder seemed to work well for me, although I think that Amazon converted my work into a slightly better looking product. I'm only a few days into this, so I'll re-post in a week or two with how it's going!
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #127
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echase View Post
I've recently taken the plunge into self-publishing some of my work as eBooks. I went through Smashwords, as well as amazon, since the two aren't linked up. Although Amazon is a definite heavyweight, I dislike that you cannot put free books on amazon.

The Smashwords meatgrinder seemed to work well for me, although I think that Amazon converted my work into a slightly better looking product. I'm only a few days into this, so I'll re-post in a week or two with how it's going!
Good luck, and I would be interested to hear how it progresses for you.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #128
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echase View Post
Update: Smashwords now accepts epubs.

http://www.smashwords.com/swdirect
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #129
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.Hagdal View Post
Update: Smashwords now accepts epubs.

http://www.smashwords.com/swdirect
The thing to remember, though is that if you start with an epub, that's the only format you get.

You're best off going through meatgrinder first and then following it up with your own epub.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #130
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The thing to remember, though is that if you start with an epub, that's the only format you get.

You're best off going through meatgrinder first and then following it up with your own epub.

Not true. I always start with an EPUB and later when I get around to it meat grind through the others. Never had a problem.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #131
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Not true. I always start with an EPUB and later when I get around to it meat grind through the others. Never had a problem.
Sorry, I was unclear.

I meant that if you upload an EPUB you don't get any of the other formats until you upload a .doc file.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #132
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Sorry, I was unclear.

I meant that if you upload an EPUB you don't get any of the other formats until you upload a .doc file.
Oh, that is correct. You also will not get a "sample" on their store until you do that. The EPUB is primarily for their distribution channels, which is 90% of the reason I am in their store to begin with.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #133
Humboldt Lake
Humboldt Lake began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Interesting site.. I listed a first novel on Smashwords.
I looked up the BBB complaints on Smashwords. I noticed complaints , such as "I was owned 11.00 and received only 4.65..."

Uhh- that is 44.00 a YEAR in sales. Perhaps at 44.00 , one should consider an alternative career..
Humboldt Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #134
Nell Harding
Nell Harding began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello! I think this is a very valuable direction to explore, but I have to admit as an emerging writer, it can be overwhelming. There are so many formats, technologies, websites and social media sites to learn about, it can become quite a full-time job just to try to keep abreast of things. So if it can be simplified for humble writers, then I am sure that most of us would be keen to try....
Nell Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #135
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Publishing is really not that hard since Amazon, BN, SW got into publishing, especially eBooks. However, to get book selling even if it is good enough to sell at its own is hard part of publishing...
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote