Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #106
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think the font looks crisper and has more contrast. Makes me think twice about upgrading to the touch.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #107
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think the font looks crisper and has more contrast. Makes me think twice about upgrading to the touch.
Hm. In honor of 9/11/2001 and the two fire fighters in my house here's a before & after:

(young firefighter thinks after looks better)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-39431.gif
Views:	502
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	92204   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-56256.gif
Views:	518
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	92205  
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #108
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
There's a new User's Guide in my cloud.
And here's a link to the PDF version of the new Kindle Keyboard Users Guide (5th edition).
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #109
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
3.4 seems snappy'r.....illusion?......still checking other stuff out
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #110
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Had the Touch and sent it back, just couldn't deal with the sensitivity of the screen and YES I adjusted that. For me, the Kindle Keyboard is hands down the best Kindle.

Just ordered another Kindle Keyboard from KindleBoards (used) WiFi + 3G for $90 (Yes, I like them so much I ordered a back-up Kindle).
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
There's a new User's Guide in my cloud.

I don't think the font looks any different.
When we got the update on the K4 the only real difference I noticed was on the home page listings. It looked darker but inside a book it looked the same. I went back to using my custom font. So don't expect a big difference unless you read very tiny print.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #112
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Amazon just doesn't see it that way.

It's the best device for people with some disabilities, and right now, it's the only device in key markets like the UK with 3G.

If you downloaded a KF8 book with 3.3 or earlier installed, will the KF8 features just start working when 3.4 is installed or do you have to download it again?
I believe the k3 is the only regular sized kindle left in the lineup that has TTS. That's why it's getting continued support. It's a combination of catering to die hard keyboarders and having an accessible device.

I think with 3.3, amazon just sent you the old format. You probably need to download it again to get the kf8 format. I don't know how you redownload a book, though.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #113
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Had the Touch and sent it back, just couldn't deal with the sensitivity of the screen and YES I adjusted that. For me, the Kindle Keyboard is hands down the best Kindle.

Just ordered another Kindle Keyboard from KindleBoards (used) WiFi + 3G for $90 (Yes, I like them so much I ordered a back-up Kindle).
Thanks. I do Wonder how I'd get on without any physical keys. I do like the look of x-ray but not sure if that is enough to justify the upgrade.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #114
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Thanks. I do Wonder how I'd get on without any physical keys. I do like the look of x-ray but not sure if that is enough to justify the upgrade.
I will admit when I have to use the K4's Keyboard I miss the K3's but I think a touch keyboard would be better for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #115
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
This time the 3.4 does look a little darker I think.
I took the photos of the single line of text before update:

and after:

I think the difference is clearly visible.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #116
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
XRay is nice, but as important for me is the wikipedia summary you can pop up with a couple of touches (one to select, another to get wikipedia option). 95% of the time the summary is all I want to see, and it is much quicker than having to launch the browser as on KK.

It is also very gratifying and empowering to have the 'report content error' feature.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #117
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
3.4 seems snappy'r.....illusion?......still checking other stuff out
Mine seems to have picked up. It may be related to the large archive problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
I think the difference is clearly visible.
I can't read either one. They might as well be Polish.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #118
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I can't read either one. They might as well be Polish.
Yes it's in Polish because I made these examples for the readers of my blog, but you can compare the letters anyway.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why can't Amazon fix this?
Because they want to annoy you, Jon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I will admit when I have to use the K4's Keyboard I miss the K3's but I think a touch keyboard would be better for me.
I find that the soft keyboard on the Touch is much easier (and faster) to use than the physical keyboard on the K3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote