Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Katie,

Are you ready to try something different? Internet Explorer 9 allows to configure what should happen when content is delivered without expiration information. Let's see if we can use this to fix the problem.

Please go inside Tools > Internet Options > Browsing history > Settings. See the screenshots for help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	430
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	84883

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	445
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	84884

Under "Check for newer versions of stored pages" choose "Every time I visit the website". Then click on OK to close the dialog button and restart Internet Explorer. Now go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php and see if it worked.

Either way, afterwards you can go back to Tools > Internet Options > Browsing history > Settings and change "Check for newer versions of stored pages" back to "Automatically".
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #32
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Nope! Your website Hates me LOL

Maybe you need to go back Before the last update then try reupdate again. Esp since there was a failure when you updated.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nope! Your website Hates me LOL

Maybe you need to go back Before the last update then try reupdate again. Esp since there was a failure when you updated.
Internet Explorer hates you. Give Firefox a go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope I not changing just because this site changed! I cant even see what the New updates did beside mess up members.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope I not changing just because this site changed! I cant even see what the New updates did beside mess up members.
Katie, I have no idea why neither of the methods to clear a browser's cache worked in your case, as it did for others, but I'll look for more solutions and will post back here.

The update included the migration to faster hardware.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Let me see if I understand You went to a faster processor speed from a slower one & in the middle of this you blew a fuse! Now there are problems! ugh

Maybe you need to reboot LOL No problem Let me know when its fixed & I let you know IF I ever get to view my CP pg lol
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Let me see if I understand You went to a faster processor speed from a slower one & in the middle of this you blew a fuse! Now there are problems! ugh
No, we went from several older servers to several newer servers, and no fuse got blown. What happened is that we used the wrong redirect code to the temporary "we are upgrading" page which is now still cached by your browser.

Quote:
Maybe you need to reboot LOL
That wouldn't fix anything in regard to the browsing issue your are experiencing. Essentially, your browser still thinks that the temporary upgrade page, which no longer exists, is the new page for the user CP. There is no mechanism for us to tell your browser to empty its cache of this redirect. That's why I have been trying to give you tips which worked for others but for some reason not for you.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #38
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

My Cach browser Never been on LOL

You gave me an idea to try BUT that created another problem ugh!

I typed in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php/katie1 And it Took me to my CP page BUT when I click in the threads it goes No where hahahaha so guess it didnt work either!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 04-05-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: update information
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #39
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Katie, here we go. So apparently at one point there was a bug causing IE not to remove redirects from its cache even when it is told to clear its cache.

However, at least as of the latest version of IE 9 (i.e. you have IE 9 and all Windows updates installed), which is IE 9.0.8112.16421, this bug has been fixed.

Please check if you have the latest version with all updates installed. Afterwards, go to Internet Options -> General -> Browsing history -> Delete and make sure that the items are ticket as shown in below screenshots. Edit: The first check that says, "Preserve Favorites website data", prevents the cache to be cleared for any website that is in your favorites. If MobileRead is in your favorites, you need to either uncheck that item or temporarily remove MobileRead from your favorite list first before clearing your cache.

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	483
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	84904

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	483
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	84905

Afterwards click on OK and restart Internet Explorer. I have tried this various times, and it always worked - the redirected address was removed.

---

FWIW, IE stores the cached redirects in the following file:

Code:
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\index.dat
So in my case:

Code:
C:\Users\Alexander\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\index.dat
Deleting that file while IE is not running would also solve the issue.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 04-06-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #40
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Seems I have the latest update 9.0.5 The one you mention is for 34 bit systems & mine is 64 bit.

I did the 2nd suggestion & the only thing it did was wipe ALL my Passwords to All My Wed Sites EXCEPT Mobile Reads LOL

I also tried to log out & back in several times.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #41
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Seems I have the latest update 9.0.5 The one you mention is for 34 bit systems & mine is 64 bit.
No, the one I mentioned is the current version for both architectures, 32bit and 64bit. 9.0.8112.16421 is the build number versus 9.0.5 is the update version. You need to go to About Internet Explorer and see if the builds match.

Quote:
I did the 2nd suggestion & the only thing it did was wipe ALL my Passwords to All My Wed Sites EXCEPT Mobile Reads LOL
That is not possible if you followed the instruction closely. In the screenshot, it shows that "Passwords" is not to be checked.

All I can tell you is that I have tested this procedure myself and I can guarantee that with the version of IE that I have installed (the latest current version), deleting the cache as shown removes the redirect.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 04-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #42
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I just tried to go on MR thru my Coby Tablet has Addroid OS I Never logged in to MR on it there for No PW have been saved! Did Not Work either. So its not me or my computer.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #43
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
I just tried to go on MR thru my Coby Tablet has Addroid OS I Never logged in to MR on it there for No PW have been saved! Did Not Work either. So its not me or my computer.
What do you mean by not working? What exactly does not work?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

When I log in on the Coby Tablet it goes to the Home page...when i try to go to CP User it stays on Home page ... other wise its fine to surf thru the forums, etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #45
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
When I log in on the Coby Tablet it goes to the Home page...when i try to go to CP User it stays on Home page ... other wise its fine to surf thru the forums, etc.
So if I understand correctly, you have never before used your Coby Tablet to visit Mobileread?