Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club June 2011 Run-Off Vote
On The Beach by Nevil Shute 12 35.29%
The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #61
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So...is it a good book? I read the Kindle sample and was not overly impressed so I didn't buy it. If I had a coupon code, I might have, but with so much else in my TBR pile right now, I could not justify full price for a book I was meh on...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #62
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So...is it a good book? I read the Kindle sample and was not overly impressed so I didn't buy it. If I had a coupon code, I might have, but with so much else in my TBR pile right now, I could not justify full price for a book I was meh on...
Is it a good book? Well, everybody's tastes are different, but I'm enjoying the book. It's taken a lot of looking at footnotes and trying to understand where the author is taking me, but Mikhail Bulgakov has hooked me and I'll finish it (just started Book 2).

I'm *very* curious about other readers impressions.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #63
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
The devil knows if I will like it or not.;o) I can't wait to find out..... chapter 16
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm only in middle of chapter 6 yet, and so far it's entertaining, and very good writing. Reading foot notes and other commentary helps to understand it better - but I try not to let it interrupt the flow of reading too much.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #65
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I had doubts about it but bought it anyway. I am well into Book 2 and I'm thinking of abandoning it. I will never again trust a long string of 5-star reviews.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #66
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'm only in middle of chapter 6 yet, and so far it's entertaining, and very good writing. Reading foot notes and other commentary helps to understand it better - but I try not to let it interrupt the flow of reading too much.
That is the challenge. I've been reading until I come to a comfortable resting point, then going back to look at the foot notes.

It certainly is interesting. I've just now finished chapter one and am wondering if the stranger is the devil, or playing devil's advocate. I'm hoping to have some quality, uninterrupted, reading time tomorrow, so that I can dive in. Reading 10 minutes here and there is not working for this material. My concern, is that I won't have another truly "free' moment until the week after next.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #67
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I had doubts about it but bought it anyway. I am well into Book 2 and I'm thinking of abandoning it. I will never again trust a long string of 5-star reviews.
Maybe this is just not a book for you. I still haven't gotten further than the middle of ch. 6, but I think it's safe to say that the author is brilliant at his craft and that five star reviews are probably well deserved. We can't all have the same taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
That is the challenge. I've been reading until I come to a comfortable resting point, then going back to look at the foot notes.
I read a handful of footnotes ahead, and then I've made notes at the end of a chapter if something stuck in my mind.

Quote:
It certainly is interesting. I've just now finished chapter one and am wondering if the stranger is the devil, or playing devil's advocate. ...
just wait...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #68
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Chapter 2 is a literary masterpiece. I am rereading it after 37 years, and the old marvel is coming back to me. Chapter 3 puts the reader in the middle of it. Great dramatist!

this is not a discussion, just a reading chronicle.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #69
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Is it a deep intellectual thing or just a "hoot"? ......I think both ... on to Book 2 (laughing all the way)
Old 06-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #70
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

It certainly is interesting. I've just now finished chapter one and am wondering if the stranger is the devil, or playing devil's advocate. I'm hoping to have some quality, uninterrupted, reading time tomorrow, so that I can dive in. Reading 10 minutes here and there is not working for this material. My concern, is that I won't have another truly "free' moment until the week after next.
The introduction talks too much about this subject, since i've read before the book.. the mystery is kinda lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Chapter 2 is a literary masterpiece. I am rereading it after 37 years, and the old marvel is coming back to me. Chapter 3 puts the reader in the middle of it. Great dramatist!

this is not a discussion, just a reading chronicle.
Indeed, i loved the second chapter! But ill leave rest to the discussion
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #71
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
So far I find the notes extremely useful as they give a great deal of contextual information.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #72
arkietech
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
So far I find the notes extremely useful as they give a great deal of contextual information.
When you go back and forth in a pbook the book becomes "worn and comfortable". This doesn't happen in a ebook. I miss that.

Finished -- at last -- a wild journey!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #73
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
Finished -- at last -- a wild journey!
Did you work out where you were by the end of it? I'm about 30% through and wondering where I'm going to end up.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #74
arkietech
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Did you work out where you were by the end of it? I'm about 30% through and wondering where I'm going to end up.
We'll discuss that. But keep going...it gets good!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #75
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Loved the chapter when the hero enters the story.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, run-off