Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
ADE Epub books from library

I got the PRS-300 strictly for the purpose of checking out books from my library.

I have ADE installed, as well as Calibre. Is it mandatory for me to have the Sony Library software installed before I can put the book on my reader? So far I don't seem to be able to make it happen.

I was really hoping not to install the Sony software; I've worked with it a bit on a friend's computer and am really not fond of it, but if I must have it to be able to read the library offerings that's what I'll do.

Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Just a reminder that unfortunately, with the 300 you cannot have both an Epub and a PDF library book (non-DRM are fine) at the same time on your device - like kosher meat vs. dairy, one or the other.

This was fixed in later Sony models (900 and after), but if you try to open a book of another format, you'll get a nasty error message.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
You may need the Sony software installed as it may have certain drivers needed to ADE to work properly. I thought I saw that hint in another post but don't remember exactly where. Even in you have Sony software installed, you can still use ADE as the default program for library books.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think you do need to install the Sony Library. But you don't have to use it.

But ADE alone won't work.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
After some looking around the library's help section, I finally had success in getting the book onto the reader - I did have to install the Sony software; then I was able to transfer the book using ADE.

Thanks for the heads up on the pdf +epub issue - what a dopey deal. Seems a firmware update could have fixed that rather than needing to move to a whole different model

Thanks to all for the help.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khintul View Post
Seems a firmware update could have fixed that rather than needing to move to a whole different model.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Sony.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote