Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Can one dump the page numbers?

I'm beginning to get irritated by the indications in the right margin of where one "page" ends and another begins. They intrude on the text of the book.

Anybody discovered a way to turn them off? They're not of any significance or value, since the page number you are actually on is shown at the bottom, together with the total number of pages.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
It cannot be turned off.

What can be done though, as a workaround, if it is a non-DRM file, is to run the ebook through Calibre and change the right margin.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great, thanks, Greenapple, I'll try that.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
The page numbers on the right aren't a feature of the Story, James. They're generated by the Adobe Digital Editions software, which the Story (and many other readers) use to display ePubs on-screen.

There are many complaints about them on the Adobe forums, with many other people being strongly in favour of them. But they can't be disabled. About the only thing you can do is as Greenapple suggests -- widen the right-hand margin so the numbers don't overlap the text.

If it were me, I'd probably do it in Sigil, but that's my personal preference. I find Calibre a bit problematic, and also that it can sometimes lead to unexpected and unwanted outcomes in formatting when it takes it upon itself to adjust what it sees as mistakes.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru

Thanks, Bran. I tried Greenapple's suggestion on one book and noted an improvement, but I'll try your idea of using Sigil instead. Thing is I've started using Calibre for the management of my e-books, and it just seemed like the "nearest" place to make the change.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Thing is I've started using Calibre for the management of my e-books, and it just seemed like the "nearest" place to make the change.
Then it makes sense to stick with Calibre, so go for it!

Myself, I don't like Calibre much, and I don't like the way it controls your files, so I've found other methods.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I use 15.0 pt for my right and left margins (under preferences > page setup) when I do the conversion with calibre. Seems to do the trick so far. No overlaps.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I use 15.0 pt for my right and left margins (under preferences > page setup) when I do the conversion with calibre. Seems to do the trick so far. No overlaps.
So much? I have an idea that the default was 5 and I upped it to 7. The end of line came dangerously near to the page numbers, so I'm considering making it 8 or 9, but 15 seems a lot. And why the left margins also? Is it because the program tries to centre the text area on the screen? (Note, I don't mean centre the text)
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use a 5pt left margin, and a 13pt right margin, on all my ePub books, and that takes care of the page numbers nicely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote