Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Which of the Populare E-Book Stores Allow You to Direct Download the File to Your PC?

That is the question. Maybe I'm old fashioned but if that's important to me, which of the popular e-book stores offer just that?

I'm interested in legal direct downloading the DRM-free file to my PC then to able to read it on whichever 3rd party reader I feel like, or smartphone or PC with whichever software I like.

Thanks.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting: http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/23/kindle-drm/
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I believe all of them do. I have always downloaded my books to my pc and then sideloaded them over to my reader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I know, all ebook stores, except possibly the Apple store, allow downloading to a PC.

The majority of ebooks still have DRM, although there are significant exceptions such as Baen and TOR for science fiction. Stripping the DRM is possible, typically via a 3rd party Calibre plugin, see Apprentice Alf's Blog for more information.

For the Kindle, you have to use Kindle for PC unless you have a Kindle device (in which case you can select "Transfer via Computer").

For Kobo, you must explicitly download "Adobe DRM EPUB" and the transaction requires opening the .acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions (or some other compatible Windows Reader app) in order to get the ePub. Other sites that support Adobe ePub (i.e. most of them) are similar.

For B&N, you can download an ePub directly but if it has DRM it is only readable by entering your credit card number into a compatible Reader app (which now includes Adobe Digital Editions under Windows). Previous CC numbers are remembered as a secure 1-way hash, so you typically enter each number just once.

The B&N approach has the fewest steps going from DRM-ridden download to DRM free ePub, but all store's downloads are relatively straightforward.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
So far as I know, all ebook stores, except possibly the Apple store, allow downloading to a PC.
You can download DRM-free Apple ebooks directly to your computer, the epub files will be in your iTunes folder.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Baen is the best for DRM free downloads to your computer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
There are a bunch of romance publishers such as Carina Press, Samhain, All Romance, etc. that allow you to do this. If you are looking in that genre.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
avid01
Addict

Thanks for all your info.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Don't forget Smashwords.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
I've bought about half a dozen books from BooksOnBoard.com The first time I was mystified. Via credit card I paid for the epub books, clicked on the link, and downloaded to my computer, to a place I could find it, a tiny file. Hey! I yelled at BOB (at my computer screen) as though they could hear -- what's going on here???? You've got my money and I've got this tiny file?!?! Well, as a last resort (since they didn't reply) I double clicked on the file they sent, thinking that would open it and all would -- better be revealed -- and suddenly my copy of Adobe Digital Editions opened, launched Superman-like out into cyberspace and downloaded my book! Whee!

I know where books fall when they come that way (in the ADE subdirectory) so I copy them out of there and back them up to CD/thumbdrive/external hard drive (I'm obsessive about getting and keeping what I paid for).

So while one cannot directly download a, say, epub from BooksOnBoard, it's just a few mystery steps more and then you have them.

For Kindle books they go to... someplace on Amazon in your account and from there you can download them to (in my case) Kindle for PC. Unless I've actually paid $ for something from Amazon, I download the freebies I've accumulated about once a month. Then I copy them from the K4PC cache and run them through Calibre to turn them into epubs so I can read them on my JetBook Lite (which might be able to read the native Kindle format, but i haven't tried). That's a few more steps than getting books from BOB, but it all works for me and maybe this will help you, too.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
...So while one cannot directly download a, say, epub from BooksOnBoard, it's just a few mystery steps more and then you have them.
Actually, BoB has different formats. It sounds like you bought a Secure Epub (that requires ADE to open). They do also have plain vanilla Epub that will download to wherever you want it to and does not require ADE to open.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
You can download DRM-free Apple ebooks directly to your computer, the epub files will be in your iTunes folder.
DRM laden ebooks can be downloaded too, they're just useless on anything but iBooks on iOS
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote