Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quick Question = Run exe from within

Just wanted to know if I could run a application with a link from calibre?
Either in the details window or one of the columns.
I imagine it would be possible to create a webpage to run the exe and link it that way, but looking for something along the lines of a simple file link - is that possible

transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Just wanted to know if I could run a application with a link from calibre?
Either in the details window or one of the columns.
I imagine it would be possible to create a webpage to run the exe and link it that way, but looking for something along the lines of a simple file link - is that possible

If it is related to a title: Open with Plugin is customizable down to (book) file type level.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's kind of an empty book, so no but thanks.

I think I'll have to have a locally stored webpage with some javascript to run VLC player for example, or notepad etc
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
transmitthis
Addict

Still unsure how to do this, coding really not my area.

How easy would it be to have calibre recognise a exe and open it with windows?
It can see a img, and open with viewer, or book and open with relevant viewer.

The reason I'm interested, apart from my own projects, is my wife works with people with disability's, and Calibre actually is really great for allowing easy access to books (once its set up for a nice large cover-browser view), to be able to launch other applications would be of great use.

So, if anyone has an idea of how to do this, pleas let me know - thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Still unsure how to do this, coding really not my area.

How easy would it be to have calibre recognise a exe and open it with windows?
It can see a img, and open with viewer, or book and open with relevant viewer.

The reason I'm interested, apart from my own projects, is my wife works with people with disability's, and Calibre actually is really great for allowing easy access to books (once its set up for a nice large cover-browser view), to be able to launch other applications would be of great use.

So, if anyone has an idea of how to do this, pleas let me know - thanks.
Are you trying to turn Calibre into EMACS?

I don't understand what type of program that is NOT associated with a book that would be relevant to Calibre

For External (to the Library), you can make a 1 page HTML book the has the URL
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
transmitthis
Addict

I didn't say its associated with a book, its not, as I indicated in an above post
Thanks for your reply though, appreciated.

Even just batch file support would be fine, as I could write them individually then when a image in cover view is clicked it would run the batch file, that would be awesome.

Really don't want to have to learn python, to see if this is possible, just looking for some direction or advice as to if it is.
Then if no one can help here, I can go find someone who is able to.

In case I didn't make it clear (ducks) I'm trying to use calibre as an application launcher, to click on a image, link, or entry and have it open a separate windows program

Last edited by transmitthis; 02-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You might have better luck with the responses if you said *exactly* what it is you want to do, not just "run an exe". calibre is not a replacement for the Windows start menu .

If there is some context to the selected row in calibre, explain exactly what it is and maybe we can suggest something. For instance it is possible to do http post/get requests passing metadata from a book using the search the internet plugin. The Open With plugin has the ability to launch based around an attachment or jpg for a book record. If your requirement made sense I could potentially enhance Open With to be slightly less constrained and pass metadata like search the internet does. But I or anyone else is not going to do that unless you say what it is you are trying to achieve to figure out whether it is interesting enough to justify the effort.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
transmitthis
Addict

I thought I had explained it clearly. Kiwidude.

Have a library of games. or Applications, or Video's. Then when clicking on the image, have that application, game or video open in windows. (I can't dumb it down any further

I know I shouldn't be using Calibre for things not related to books, but meh... I use a toothbrush to clean my motorbike, and a sieve as an impromptu steamer, and once blew my nose on toilet paper.

Appreciate your reply. and help though thanks

Anyway with the help of a really nice guy from Russia, I managed to do exactly what I wanted.

.game_record

Actually, that may not have been necessary, only just discovered shortcuts can be added, I was trying to add them via metadata window, where they don't add, but they do via dragging to main window.
It's all gravy now though.
Can have a portable calibre, with a list of portable applications, which will be a great help to me.
and can have an installed calibre with list of videos, and nice coverflow view.
Then my mate can have her game library, with one click play for installed games, and entrys for games to buy etc
Game one works works really well, with publisher > publisher and author > developer

Last edited by transmitthis; 02-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Glad you got something working for you. However if you look back at this thread you can see that the very first time you have mentioned the context for this feature of a library of games or videos or apps was in your latest post. That was why we were all scratching our heads wondering what it was you were trying to do. Anyways, you sound sorted, which means I don't need to make any plugin changes, so I shall go back under my rock now.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exe, link, run