Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Any way to install apps from Android Market?

I tried, but because the Vox isn't an approved device, I had no luck. Here's the response I got:

"The Android operating system is open source, which means any device manufacturer is free to use Android on its devices. However, Android Market is an application created by Google that's only made available to devices that pass Google’s compatibility requirements. In addition, manufacturers must obtain a license from Google in order to install Android Market on their devices."

I don't know why Kobo hasn't done that, but if anyone knows of a way to get around this, please let me know. I have a phone that runs Android (and is an approved device), so I thought maybe I could install the app on my phone, copy the apk file to my computer, then copy it to the Vox and install it. But the apk file seems to get deleted as soon as the install process is done. Anyone know how to prevent it from being deleted?
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
I don't know why Kobo hasn't done that, but if anyone knows of a way to get around this, please let me know.
Because virtually no $200 tablets meat Google's compatability requirements.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
There's another thread about this with lots of work arounds but no one actually getting into AM itself
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Just a shot, but have you gone into Settings - Application Settings and enabled "Unknown sources"? This option is off by default, preventing you from installing from APKs you "sideload".
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
davidkettle, on your phone, try to find the folder /system/apps.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can extract apk files from rooted devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
davidkettle
Enthusiast

Thanks. I looked in that directory and saw lots of APK files, but not the one I'm looking for (Adobe Reader). Adobe Reader is free, I think I should be able to install it on the Vox without ruffling any feathers. Since the eReader software that comes pre-installed doesn't seem to support PDF files, I thought I'd install Adobe Reader. (If there's an app I want that isn't free, I'd be quite willing to pay for two licenses if I want to run it on my phone and my Vox, but it doesn't seem to be possible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
davidkettle, on your phone, try to find the folder /system/apps.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
davidkettle
Enthusiast

Can you tell me where the other thread is? I couldn't find it. Maybe I'll try the suggestions there anyway. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
There's another thread about this with lots of work arounds but no one actually getting into AM itself
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
There's an app called Repligo that does a great job on PDF's. I think I found it at apktop.com.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
Thanks. I looked in that directory and saw lots of APK files, but not the one I'm looking for (Adobe Reader). Adobe Reader is free,
You can download it directly from Adobe at the bottom of this page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/892/cpsid_89295.html
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
davidkettle
Enthusiast

Thanks, that worked. Now I can actually read PDF files on my Kobo Vox eReader! (Why did they leave that capability out anyway, or at least pre-install Adobe or something else that can read PDF files?)

I'd still like to get around this problem, though. Even if Android Market doesn't support the Vox (or Kobo doesn't want to pay the licensing fee or whatever the reason is), why shouldn't I have the choice to install apps that may or may not work on the Vox? As I said, I'd be quite happy to pay twice to run certain apps on both devices. As for the free apps, why should anyone care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You can download it directly from Adobe at the bottom of this page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/892/cpsid_89295.html
Old 11-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

We just may have to hang in there. I'm guessing that Canadians will get access to the Amazon App store sooner, rather than later. At that point, you will be able to buy and install almost everything but the proprietary google apps.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Other thread is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155802
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
We just may have to hang in there. I'm guessing that Canadians will get access to the Amazon App store sooner, rather than later. At that point, you will be able to buy and install almost everything but the proprietary google apps.

Given that it took three generations of Kindles (and almost 6 years) to get an International edition and Amazon Prime hasn't made it out of the US, I wouldn't count on Amazon App Store ever making it outside the States. It was this long lag which I credit for the existence of Kobo - if Amazon had rolled out internationally when it first started, I don't know if anyone else would have had a chance of getting established.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
davidkettle
Enthusiast

Thanks, but that thread seems to be talking about importing ebooks, not installing apps. However, I did find some other threads about installing apps. Like you said, there doesn't seem to be any workaround yet, unless you can download directly from the developer's web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post