Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
meera156
meera156 began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x51v
Mobipocket problems

Hi,

I have been using my dell axim x51v with windows 5 for the past 2 years to read ebooks. I have also been using Mobipocket to read the books.

Unfortunately i had to hard reset my axim due to a different problem and as a result lost mobipocket on it. Now when i try to reinstall mobipocket and open books on my axim i just get error messages, or it does not open at all. I have tried reinstalling it several times but nothing seems to work.

I have a lot of books in mobipocket format and hence while i don't mind using a similar reader that will actually work i don't want to loose all my books. Is there anything i can do to solve this problem?

Thanks
meera156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Has the Axim's MobiPocket PID changed? This is probably on a help screen somewhere within the MOBI software. Or it may be available in Windows MobiPocket Reader if you used this to transfer ebooks to the Axim.

A MOBI ebook can contain up to 4 PIDs (to authorize 4 devices), and your existing Axim MOBI files will contain the original PID of the Axim. They may also contain the PID of your Windows PC if you downloaded the MOBI ebooks via Windows. Most likely the PID on your Axim got reset during the re-install. The PID is 10 alphanumeric characters (8 active, the last 2 are a checksum).

If you can find the new PID, then it may be possible to redownload all your MOBI ebooks authorized for that PID.

In the long term, MobiPocket is a dead end. They have not released any new software updates for a couple of years, and will never have software for new device types. So I suggest stripping the DRM (encryption) from all your MOBI ebooks. The existing MOBI Reader will read DRM-free MOBIs, and you won't ever have PID issues again (and are safe when MobiPocket inevitably closes down). Or you can use Calibre (has its own forum here) to convert to another ebook format.

If you have copies that work on your Windows PC, then use the Windows MOBI PID with the mobidedrm.py script to produce DRM-free versions. If not, then you can copy the Axim MOBI files to a PC and use the original Axim PID and mobidedrm.py.

The best place to start looking for mobidedrm.py is probably Apprentice Alf's Blog. Its first post is on the the "tools" bundle which includes point and click wrappers for many DRM tools.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote