Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
epubli
epubli began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook611
Rescale images retrieved by GoComics recipe

Hi,

could someone help me with the builtin GoComics recipe. I a trying to download the Agnes comic (http://www.gocomics.com/agnes). I would like to rescale the images to max dimensions of 800x600 preserving the aspect ratio. The downloaded comic images are PNG with about 900x300pixels.

I have unsuccessfully tried to set
Code:
scale_news_images = (800, 600)
This resulted in distorted png images with 800x600 size.

I also tried to modify the images in postprocess_html function, but the image object used by calibre does not seem to have the .thumbnail method explained at stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...s-aspect-ratio).

My third try was the following code code for postprocess_html I found in another recipe. This code happens to create only cropped images:

Code:

def postprocess_html(self, soup, first):
        maxwidth=800
        maxheight=600
        for tag in soup.findAll(lambda tag: tag.name.lower()=='img' and tag.has_key('src')):
            iurl = tag['src']
            img = Image()
            img.open(iurl)
            left=0
            top=0
            border_color='#ffffff'
            if (width > maxwidth) :
                newheight= float(height) / width * maxwidth
                canvas = create_canvas(maxwidth, newheight,border_color)
            canvas.compose(img, left, top)
            #img = canvas
            #img.save(iurl)
            canvas.save(iurl)
            width, height = canvas.size
            print '***NEW img width is: ', width, 'height is: ', height
        return soup
Another related question. When I test my recipe with "ebook-convert testgocomics.recipe testgocomic --test -vv", it
fetches the comics using several threads which makes reading the debugging output almost impossible. How can I limit to 1 thread ?

Thanks for your help !
epubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
simultaneous_downloads = 1

And if I were you I wouldn't bother cropping the images manually, just use

extra_css = 'img { max-width: 800; max-height: 600}'

and let the display engine take care of it for you -- unless you intend to read these comics on something very primitive.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote