Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
waynn
waynn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Outputting EPUB for iBooks with multiple authors

I've been using Calibre for a year now with awesome results when converting from MOBI to EPUB. I recently ran into an issue that I can't figure out how to fix, however. We have a book that's written by two authors (Jack and Jill). When I create the MOBI, I set the <dc:creator> attribute in the story.opf file to "Jack Smith and Jill Lee". Calibre imports it, but when it exports the EPUB file and I upload it to iBooks, it only gets one of the authors. I unzipped the EPUB file and it looks like there are two <dc:creator> fields created (one for each author).

I saw another thread where Kovid specifically said this was how the EPUB file format defines authors, so my question is, am I doing something wrong with uploading it to iBooks? How do I get iBooks to put both authors on one line, versus having one marked as the primary author?
waynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Multiple authors in EPUB should be represented with multiple <dc:creator> tags. It is up to the reading system to decide how to display the authors. If you really want to force it to display both you can put both into a single dc:creator tag using the Tweak Book feature, however, that may have other unwanted side effects.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
waynn
waynn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey Kovid,

Ah, I see -- so I guess Apple is just buggy with their implementation of EPUB then. Thanks for the quick response! (I actually was just in the process of posting another question, but while I'm responding here, thanks again for an awesome piece of software.)
waynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ibooks