Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #31
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
My comment was in regard to the EA/BioWare boycotts, and why those don't work.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #32
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is not what is proposed.
What is on the table is more like "don't buy candy in march" (but you can gorge in april).

It's overly broad, for one thing.
(Sugarless candy is fine; any form of candy in moderation is fine.)
Plus, in the current economy the message is going to be muted anyway.
(Marginally slower sales? Well, with current gas prices a lot of people have less disposable income.)
And, as pointed out: March is Read an E-Book Month and has been for years.

Context matters.
What happens outside the message board world matters.
This particular boycott, at this particular time, probably won't matter much.
(shrug)
The whole idea of the message was to not buy anything in March as it is the last quarter of the fiscal year for those companies. If the same people that took a stand against SOPA/PIPA actually did not buy any media related goods in the month of March and the sales for the last quarter of the year showed a big ZERO, I suspect SOMEONE would take notice and wonder what was going on, regardless of gas prices or any other economic activities.

I really don't think gas prices and less disposable income is going to have any effect on The Hunger Games when it opens on the 23rd. I suspect we will see some records broken for most sales or some such nonsense...

People get all warm and fuzzy when it comes to signing online petitions, however, when it actually comes to voicing their opinion and there may be some discomfort involved i.e. giving up something, very few people will follow through, then it just becomes lip service.
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
The whole idea of the message was to not buy anything in March as it is the last quarter of the fiscal year for those companies. If the same people that took a stand against SOPA/PIPA actually did not buy any media related goods in the month of March and the sales for the last quarter of the year showed a big ZERO, I suspect SOMEONE would take notice and wonder what was going on, regardless of gas prices or any other economic activities.
March is not a fiscal quarter, it's just one month.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If the same people that took a stand against SOPA/PIPA actually did not buy any media related goods in the month of March and the sales for the last quarter of the year showed a big ZERO, I suspect SOMEONE would take notice and wonder what was going on, regardless of gas prices or any other economic activities.
How do you reckon that to be the case? What proportion of people who buy media have heard of, or care about, these laws, do you think? Let's be generous and say that it's 1% (I doubt that it is that high, myself). How will 1% of people not buying media result in sales "showing a big ZERO"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I have a couple of friends with books coming out March 6th. The first week a book is out is its main chance to climb up a bestseller list with the accompanying jump in attention that works as free publicity. I will be buying those books, and I will be buying them in that first week.

Furthermore books from the big publishers are the principal earners for small independent bookstores, and getting none of that revenue for a month might finish some of them off. I enjoy big stores with lots of books but I have to admit I also like the idea of competition.

However one acquaintance has been pushing Black March as the month to try sampling indie books and music. I could certainly get behind that.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #36
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
March is not a fiscal quarter, it's just one month.
It's the last month of the QUARTER and the last month of the fiscal YEAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How do you reckon that to be the case? What proportion of people who buy media have heard of, or care about, these laws, do you think? Let's be generous and say that it's 1% (I doubt that it is that high, myself). How will 1% of people not buying media result in sales "showing a big ZERO"?
Well here in the good o' USA there is a group of people that seem to think that 1% of the people control the 99%...maybe that is the logic...?

You are right no one gives a $hit until it affects them directly...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #37
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
It's the last month of the QUARTER and the last month of the fiscal YEAR.
Yes, I know that, but you said "sales for the last quarter of the year showed a big ZERO", and even with no sales in March the sales from January and February would still be part of the last quarter sales, so you can't have ZERO.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #38
jmaejr
Banned

Yep should have said 'sales for March'...
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Don't buy any magazine, newspaper, DON'T download ANY song [Legally or illegally] DON'T watch any movie at the cinema, DON'T buy ANY DVD or videogame and DON'T buy any book.
Magazines... Don't buy them, but I do have a subscription. And with that subscription comes a paper and a pdf format.

Songs downloading... I might be able to go without Spotify for a month, but I doubt it. Besides, I think they're doing the right thing.

Movies and cinemas... That one isn't difficult, the last time we went must have been somewhere in 2011. Wouldn't even know exactly when.

DVD's. Don't download them nor do I buy them.

Videogames. The game I want won't come out for at least another 6 months, so also no problems there.

Books. Got plenty to read so, also no problems there.

Beside that, I'm out of money so only the subscriptions stay
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #40
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'd be all behind something like 'no mainstream march' where consumers spend their entertainment dollars on something besides mainstream entertainment product. it wasn't bob smith and his 50 cent book of cat limericks on Smashwords pushing for SOPA.

i think a clear rise in indie goods and a dip in mainstream product would send a bigger "we really don't need you" message than punishing both hollywood types who just want a new ivory back scratcher AND poor bob smith who is just trying to make a couple bucks to put towards this months rent.

voting with my wallet has become second nature for me. not purchasing agency books new or in ebook form is as easy as breathing. i'll buy mass effect 3 used, i can wait. i'll enjoy the $30-$40 i save more than the bragging rights i'd have buying it day 1.

frankly its become fun seeing how much money i can save by just waiting lol. oh i still play the games and read the books legally but my money goes in the hands of charities or private sellers rather than those acting against my rights as a consumer and free man.

Last edited by xg4bx; 03-05-2012 at 02:23 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #41
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't have any money to buy anything anyway, so I'm eternally boycotting companies by coincidence, haha.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I don't have any money to buy anything anyway, so I'm eternally boycotting companies by coincidence, haha.
I have lots of money and shall continue to buy my usual 3-4 eBooks a week .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I only get free ebooks or the $1 Kindle Special Offers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have lots of money and shall continue to buy my usual 3-4 eBooks a week .
Would have done that too

But all jokes aside, I'd still buy a book if I wanted it, no matter where it came from and who published it or even who wrote it. If I like it, and can afford it, why not get it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #45
jmaejr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Would have done that too

But all jokes aside, I'd still buy a book if I wanted it, no matter where it came from and who published it or even who wrote it. If I like it, and can afford it, why not get it.
Completely understandable, however, if the 'boycott' or whatever you choose to call it was for the high prices on e-books or DRM for that matter, would you have the same opinion?