Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
v1doc
v1doc began at the beginning.

Device: Imate K-JAM
Cheaper device with large display (8inch or lager)

Hello to everyone, this is my first post, I’m searching for a device with a large display (8” or lager) with e-ink technology.

The only device with this display that I know is the iRex iLiad, but it’s too expansive for me

Do you have some suggestions?

Many Thanks
v1doc
v1doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
none at the moment. The iLiad is the only device with an 8inch eink display on the market as of now. Jinke is planning on releasing larger eink display devices, but they are not available yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
none at the moment. The iLiad is the only device with an 8inch eink display on the market as of now. Jinke is planning on releasing larger eink display devices, but they are not available yet.
The main problem with Jinke as I see it now is that they don't have any DRM formats that are popular enough so if you wanted to purchase that latest besseller from some ebook shop to read on a V3, you would be unable to unless you broke the DRM and converted it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason the iLiad is expensive is precisely BECAUSE it has a large screen. The majority of the cost of these machines (probably over 80%) is the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Several companies will have devices with 8" (and 10") E-Ink screens next year. They will presumably be cheaper than the current iLiad and more expensive than devices with 6" screens. This is a wide price range ($300-$700), and I don't know where the "cheapest" 8" device will end up. I'm sure there will be some device at about $700 (10" screen, wifi, touch screen), since iRex has demonstrated that some of us are crazy enough to pay this much.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
v1doc

Thank you to everyone for the quick answers, so I think that I should wait the new cheaper device.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1doc View Post
Hello to everyone, this is my first post, I’m searching for a device with a large display (8” or lager) with e-ink technology.

The only device with this display that I know is the iRex iLiad, but it’s too expansive for me

Do you have some suggestions?

Many Thanks
v1doc
If you can squeeze your requirement down to 7.5" then there are choices. For example check OLPC http://laptop.org/ however it is not eink. You can't talk about e-ink and cheap in the same sentence yet. (If you click on the link then click hardware and then specs for some pictures.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
v1doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you can squeeze your requirement down to 7.5" then there are choices. For example check OLPC http://laptop.org/ however it is not eink. You can't talk about e-ink and cheap in the same sentence yet. (If you click on the link then click hardware and then specs for some pictures.

Dale
Ok, but I think that OLPC monitor doesn’t use e-ink technology, it should use a normal LCD.

Regards
Mrco
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is an LCD display, but not a "normal" one. It operates in two modes - as a conventional, backlit colour display OR in a direct-sunlight-readable, non-backlit, very low-power greyscale mode. This later would be excellent for a bookreader.

The main problems with the OLPC are that:

1. Most people can't buy them.
2. I don't know what, if any, book reading software exists for them.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is an LCD display, but not a "normal" one. It operates in two modes - as a conventional, backlit colour display OR in a direct-sunlight-readable, non-backlit, very low-power greyscale mode. This later would be excellent for a bookreader.

The main problems with the OLPC are that:

1. Most people can't buy them.
2. I don't know what, if any, book reading software exists for them.
Yea, it defines a new standard for LCD, certainly is not normal and it provides some of the power advantages of E-ink. Unfortunately the minute you turn the backlight on you lose the high resolution display. Hight resolution is even better than e-ink devices today hitting the 200 dpi making it more suitable for PDF documents and rivals the 8" device which is why I recommended it.

There is a reader for PDF and scanned images that ships with it, evince. It is not clear how many of the possible formats for evince are going to be available. Since it is running linux I think that, once, people have them it will not take long for more readers to show up. One of the major thrusts of the project is to provide ebooks and edocument capability.

For a short time anyone can buy them. You pay $400 and get a unit plus a
receipt for a $200 deduction that will be used to send a second unit to a child in a 3rd world country. Availability is November.

Dale
Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For a short time anyone can buy them. You pay $400 and get a unit plus a
receipt for a $200 deduction that will be used to send a second unit to a child in a 3rd world country. Availability is November.

Dale
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that only people in the US could do that? That was the reason for my comment about most people being unable to.

It looks like a very exciting product; I'm sure there'll be all sorts of "offshoots" from it, and hopefully once it's in full-scale production it will become more widely available.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that only people in the US could do that? That was the reason for my comment about most people being unable to.

It looks like a very exciting product; I'm sure there'll be all sorts of "offshoots" from it, and hopefully once it's in full-scale production it will become more widely available.
It doesn't say US but it does say North America. I suspect this is only to control the shipping costs but I would suggest that you contact them and see if there is a way to increase the area for this effort. The guy behind this effort is up against some competition with Intel and others who think this is a way to make money so it is not clear he can prevail but I think he needs support from the entire world to make this a reality. Check this site for more details on the offer. http://www.laptopgiving.org/