Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Two Nooks, One account

As I try to decide whether or not to purchase a second Nook for my family, I have a question about the accounts.

Obviously, I could create a second account for the second Nook, but I already have many books on the account that other family members read. I know I can have two (or more) Nooks on the same account, but then do they get the same books? If my daughter is reading the Hunger Games Series, will it show up on my Nook as well? Will she end up with my eclectic collection including romance, microbiology, Sherlock Holmes and medical thrillers?

(the books that need to be shared are not LendMe books, so that wouldn't work. And it's not really "sharing" just some books on this nook and others on this other Nook)

Thans!

Susie
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Seems to me if you have the same account on more than one Nook, all Nooks will stay in synch, not just regarding what books are there, but also the last page read, etc. This is actually supposed to be a feature. I don't think there is any way around this, except to establish a new account for any additional Nooks. Of course, then the new account would not have access to the books from the old account. I don't think you can have it both ways.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
As I try to decide whether or not to purchase a second Nook for my family, I have a question about the accounts.

Obviously, I could create a second account for the second Nook, but I already have many books on the account that other family members read. I know I can have two (or more) Nooks on the same account, but then do they get the same books? If my daughter is reading the Hunger Games Series, will it show up on my Nook as well? Will she end up with my eclectic collection including romance, microbiology, Sherlock Holmes and medical thrillers?

(the books that need to be shared are not LendMe books, so that wouldn't work. And it's not really "sharing" just some books on this nook and others on this other Nook)

Thans!

Susie
B&N's DRM allows you to share books by just copying (sideloading) them to another Nook (just as you would with non-B&N books).
For the first book you share this way you will be asked for the credit card number and name the book was downloaded with. The Nook remembers this, so other books will open immediately.

If you register both Nooks to the same account, both Nooks will get the same books (because this was meant for one person using multiple devices to read books). Also if one person archives a books, it will be archived on both Nooks. So unless the readers of both Nooks have the same taste in books, sharing an account is usually not recommended.
Just share the books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
OH COOL! I did not know that! Awesome, thank you SO much ... I was a little worried at the thought of my 12 year old daughter reading some of my more adult books .... though the house is packed with paperbacks, so she could really, any time she wanted .... but this makes life MUCH easier! Especially since we'll use the same credit card info (mine!)

Thanks!

Susie

Last edited by Catsnkites; 07-12-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But if you do this (sideload a drm b&n book onto a nook with a different account), isnt this a regular shared book, subject to the one-time rule, and only good for 2 weeks? If not, what prevents a person from spreading a drm book all around to all their friends?
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
But if you do this (sideload a drm b&n book onto a nook with a different account), isnt this a regular shared book, subject to the one-time rule, and only good for 2 weeks? If not, what prevents a person from spreading a drm book all around to all their friends?
No, you are not lending the book, you are copying the book.
The reason B&N's DRM is called a social DRM is that to open a book you need the credit card number and name the book was downloaded with. This is information you probably do not mind sharing with close family or friends, but you will not give it to strangers or put it on the Internet. The fact that your credit card number and name are needed to share, limits the sharing of books.
(In spite of that B&N does not promote this biggest advantage of their DRM, probably because of the publishers).
It is a social limitation, not a technical limitation (Kindle books are tied to the hardware ID of the reader, Adobe books are tied to your Adobe ID).
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
RAH
Guru

Well, that is interesting then. I realized that the credit card requirement would stop people from wholesale distribution, but I never knew about this social drm aspect with close friends and family. Thanks for the tip! Is there any limit to how many people you can do this with for a particular title?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
DrLaurenceBrown
DrLaurenceBrown began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is something I have found myself wondering recently while looking into purchasing another Nook for a family members. Thanks for posting and all the info!
DrLaurenceBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
No, you are not lending the book, you are copying the book.
The reason B&N's DRM is called a social DRM is that to open a book you need the credit card number and name the book was downloaded with. This is information you probably do not mind sharing with close family or friends, but you will not give it to strangers or put it on the Internet. The fact that your credit card number and name are needed to share, limits the sharing of books.
(In spite of that B&N does not promote this biggest advantage of their DRM, probably because of the publishers).
It is a social limitation, not a technical limitation (Kindle books are tied to the hardware ID of the reader, Adobe books are tied to your Adobe ID).
This is something that I've been reconsidering on my anti-DRM stance. I think I may be willing to buy B&N ebooks since the DRM this way is a little less onerous.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Well, that is interesting then. I realized that the credit card requirement would stop people from wholesale distribution, but I never knew about this social drm aspect with close friends and family. Thanks for the tip! Is there any limit to how many people you can do this with for a particular title?
There is no limit.
The whole encryption is contained within the e-book file. The file is not tied to any DRM server. There is no internet connection or DRM server needed. There is no central registration of what happens with the file.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I do this with my sister and niece. We can share our books then, but yet my niece doesn't get the racey urban fantasy or pnr books. The nice thing is you only need to enter your name and credit card number once and it will be remembered on the device.

Also, you can do this with the Aldiko app for Android. Just go to open a B&N book on your phone or tablet with Aldiko and it will ask you for the name and credit card number you used to purchase the B&N ebook. This way I only use one app for all of my books, B&N and other non drm epub books.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
wymore
Enthusiast
wymore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
B&N's DRM allows you to share books by just copying (sideloading) them to another Nook (just as you would with non-B&N books).
For the first book you share this way you will be asked for the credit card number and name the book was downloaded with. The Nook remembers this, so other books will open immediately.

If you register both Nooks to the same account, both Nooks will get the same books (because this was meant for one person using multiple devices to read books). Also if one person archives a books, it will be archived on both Nooks. So unless the readers of both Nooks have the same taste in books, sharing an account is usually not recommended.
Just share the books.
One caveat to add to this. This works OK with books (although sometimes you can't see the covers of the copied books). It does not, however, work with apps you purchase from B&N. There is no way to sideload them from one Nook to another. If you plan on purchasing apps, then it is better to share the same account.
wymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Is it true you only need the last 8 digits of the credit card?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Is it true you only need the last 8 digits of the credit card?
No, you need the full credit card number. The credit card number is not stored on the Nook, but used to generate a key that is stored on the Nook. This is a one-way process. The key cannot be used to generate your credit card number.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
No, you need the full credit card number. The credit card number is not stored on the Nook, but used to generate a key that is stored on the Nook. This is a one-way process. The key cannot be used to generate your credit card number.
Thanks, it was something I read and wondered if it was accurate.

Seems reasonable otherwise people can post their ebooks along with name and partial card number on the internet for anyone to download.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote