Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Entourage eDGe - Things I want!

All new devices have points where they just missed the mark. These are what I wish was different about the eDGe. Here is the link to my Blog Post.

Things I wish was different with the Entourage eDGe

What do you think should be added, changed etc. ?
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
Does the edge charge off mini-usb?

If it does, what's the point of the separate power connector you mentioned.

If it doesn't, it probably should, and then you can nix the separate power connector you mentioned entirely.
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

It requires a 12 volt 2.5 amp power connection. The USB connections can only supply 5 volts at 0.5 amps.

When open, the power connector is at the left-hand side an inch from the bottom of the eDGe. It would just be out of the way if it was at the top of the unit since the natural position to hold the edge in is flat in your lap.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
It requires a 12 volt 2.5 amp power connection. The USB connections can only supply 5 volts at 0.5 amps.

When open, the power connector is at the left-hand side an inch from the bottom of the eDGe. It would just be out of the way if it was at the top of the unit since the natural position to hold the edge in is flat in your lap.
Ahh.. Then for me, I'd say "The Edge should charge off usb, and then remove the other power jack entirely"

I tend to be surprised (and annoyed) when new gadgets with rechargable batteries and a usb connection can't charge off USB.

Oh well.. I just want everything my way.
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
I agree with the power port thing...should be USB, and could be placed in a better position...but I was absolutely floored at how thing they got that lith-poly battery, so I guess we traded off some there.

Also, NEED Android Market...and the eInk lock - not sure why/how they overlooked this, I'm constantly hitting buttons on the eInk side when I'm using the LCD in tablet mode - its a PITA. Hoping they apply a software patch for that one - shouldn't be too hard.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
All new devices have points where they just missed the mark. These are what I wish was different about the eDGe. Here is the link to my Blog Post.

Things I wish was different with the Entourage eDGe

What do you think should be added, changed etc. ?
My three most immediate desires are: 1) Handwriting recognition support; 2) Ability to view the e-ink side in landscape orientation; 3) Ability to project from the LCD side via VGA. All of these would make my use of the eDGe for academic research and teaching purposes much more efficient, and according to communications from the enTourage officers are all either in the works or "under consideration" for future upgrades. Here's hoping!
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
paulckennedy
Addict

I know they are working on a usb to vga dongle. I asked for a vga to hdmi dongle.

It is fun to wish!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
My wish list is pretty much the same as yours, guys. My biggest request, though, would be the ability to detach the eInk side from the eDGe. Using this approach, you can simply carry an all functional grab and go e-reader and still keep the LCD side functional. You could choose which one to carry. I think that would be an excellent enhancement.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
...My biggest request, though, would be the ability to detach the eInk side from the eDGe...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
paulckennedy
Addict

I don't see the split happening simply because it is essentially a souped up nook. It has one processor with two screens. It is its common processor which makes the two screens work great.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I can think of a way to do it (requires increased production costs). A second processor subsystem can be added to the eInk side to allow it to work isolated. When you detach it, the processor goes into a full working state. Of course, this requires a partial redesign of the device.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I can think of a way to do it (requires increased production costs). A second processor subsystem can be added to the eInk side to allow it to work isolated. When you detach it, the processor goes into a full working state. Of course, this requires a partial redesign of the device.

zetareticuli,

You may likely be already aware of this new (currently non-existent) product by Lenovo:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/33202...w-form-factors

but if not, is this kind of what you're getting at in terms of the split processor system?
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict

Exactly. That is it. The production costs of a split system like that are probably higher but not significantly higher. It would certainly not double the price. Maybe 20 or 30% more.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
I could see the benefits of breaking the two screens apart...but they designed this device solely around the functionality of the two sides working together, that it'd be more than redesigning the device itself - it'd require a culture change within enTourage.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Here is what I would like to see:

1. Mini USB connectivity to Windows PC resolution. I hear they are working on it, but sometimes got to keep the pressure...
2. Android Market (or other app market) access. Again, I hear they are working on it, but pressure...
3. Removal of the "e-Books, Library, Browser, eMail, Home" bar. Valuable screen real-estate can be reclaimed if those tools simply become widgets on the home screen.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entourage edge