Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Question about charging the battery

I just got my sony 505 a week ago and tonight I wanted to add a couple of new books to the reader and charge it. It showed 2 bars left on the battery icon. I plugged it in and added the books to the reader and then left it connected to charge. The little red light was on. I waited quite a while and it didn't say do not disconnect any more but the little red light was still on I thought on the quick start guide it said the light would go off if it was fully charged. Should i just plug it back in and let it sit until the red light goes off? It looks like I have full bars on the battery icon ? Am I damaging the battery by maybe not letting it get fully charged? How long does charging by connecting to a computer usually take?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Here's an interesting answer about batteries of the Sony Reader in another thread:

Quote:
At least first cycle until the message appears about a low battery. These types of batteries need to initialize their capacity. Normally three full cycles would be the best with this type of battery but because it's so long lasting I just went for one complete cycle.

After that you can charge it whenever you want but you should at least fully discharge it every 30 times or so to initialize/reset the battery. This will be better because otherwise the battery indicator on your reader screen can be wrong in the capacity that it's showing and can cause the reader to think the battery is low while in real it maybe hold 25% or so. Also it is better for the battery itself.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
ok ummmmmmmm so does the litle red light go off when it is fully charged?? And how long does it usually take??
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Mine takes about 2 hours to recharge from low battery message to full when charging through USB.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
"At least first cycle until the message appears about a low battery. These types of batteries need to initialize their capacity. "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

That is ancient history. These are not NiMH batteries but Lithium-ion. Totally different.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
From the Wikipedia article:

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

* Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%
* Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[27] This has nothing to do with the memory effect.
* Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
* Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
* Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [50] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
* Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[27]
* When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, consider removing the battery[51] and storing it in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.

DISCHARGING THESE BATTERIES FULLY ARE NOT GOOD FOR THE BATTERY AT ALL.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
"At least first cycle until the message appears about a low battery. These types of batteries need to initialize their capacity. "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

That is ancient history. These are not NiMH batteries but Lithium-ion. Totally different.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion
Thank you, I was about to post this!

So, is the red light actually supposed to come on when charging through the USB? Mine doesn't. It comes on when I put it on an AC charger, but it stays off when I put it on USB. Everything about the reader works/acts fine, and I've got great battery life, so this isn't anything I'm worried about. And, it does charge through the USB.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Without Sony software installed on your computer or when charging from a wall socket to usb charger it won't light up.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
From my experience, if the red light isn't lit, then the battery is not being charged. In fact, it may be being drained.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
Without Sony software installed on your computer or when charging from a wall socket to usb charger it won't light up.
Gotcha. That's it then. I've got the Sony software installed but generally don't have it running since I use Calibre. That explains it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
From my experience, if the red light isn't lit, then the battery is not being charged. In fact, it may be being drained.
Nope, it's definitely be charged. I end up with more bars than I had before
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
I have the sony 505 and I use a usb to charge, make sure you give it a good charge in the beginning when you first install your software , about 4 hours the red light will be on while its chargeing and when its off your done. I usually charge with usb again when I have one bar left. I haven,t had any discharging battery as some ppl have. If you want you can pick up a PSP wall charger and get a quicker charge with it..have fun with your new reader your going to love it..and make sure you ask all the questions you have about what ever There is always amazing and helpful ppl here..I should know I asked and learned.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote