Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Book
Book began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
How do I convert before adding to library.

I did search. Maybe I used the wrong search terms.

I want to add only epub files to my library.

I want to convert lit files without lit files being added to my library.

How do I set the option to convert books to epub without adding other formats to the library first?
Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the command line and the command line program ebook-convert.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Book

ROFL

I can not believe a program with all these options does not have a simple option - Add all books as: (format).

Where is the command line?

I hit the tilde key but the console won't come up.

I am sitting here laughing.

Last edited by Book; 08-30-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Firedb
Enthusiast
Firedb began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 8 rooted
just add the books, then convert afterwards, it's easier isn't it?
Firedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 3 simple steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book View Post
I did search. Maybe I used the wrong search terms.

I want to add only epub files to my library.

I want to convert lit files without lit files being added to my library.

How do I set the option to convert books to epub without adding other formats to the library first?
1. add .lit to calibre
2. convert .lit to .epub
3. delete .lit
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Where is the command line?
Depends on what your OS is. On Windows it's the command prompt in accessories (or 'cmd' in start menu -> run), on *nix systems it's most often called something like terminal or shell. I don't know what it's called on OSX.

You start that, use ebook-convert to convert your book and add the resultant ePub to the library.

The better idea, though, would be to add whatever original format you have and convert when the book is added to the library. Sometimes, it takes multiple tries to get all the conversion options right- should you have deleted the original file after discovering you want to reconvert, you're stuck with whatever conversion you did.

Quote:
I hit the tilde key but the console won't come up.
Played a few games, have we?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Book

By command line I thought you meant some command feature within Calibre. Freakin programmers, from another planet. This is the future. We are using Graphical Interfaces now. Yes us regular folks know you are programmers. You do not have to keep using command lines to prove it.

I will go with the add the book format I do not want into the program, convert the book format I do not want into the format I do want, then delete the format I do not want featured method from the database. I am still laughing. All these options, people making a bunch of plugins, but for an option that would be used much more than some of the other options we are using command line.

Not that I do not appreciate the prog and all the work that has gone into Calibre. Seems some things that have not been improved are more about stubborn adamant arrogance than common sense and user friendly empathic features.

Have a great day.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I will go with the add the book format I do not want into the program, convert the book format I do not want into the format I do want, then delete the format I do not want featured method from the database. I am still laughing. All these options, people making a bunch of plugins, but for an option that would be used much more than some of the other options we are using command line.
Most people (that have expressed an opinion on this) actually prefer having the original formats around, see my previous post for the reason. You could make a feature request using the bug tracker, if you like, or do the work yourself and submit a patch.

Quote:
Not that I do not appreciate the prog and all the work that has gone into Calibre. Seems some things that have not been improved are more about stubborn adamant arrogance than common sense and user friendly empathic features.
If you have suggestions on how to improve the UI, I'm sure the developers will be glad to hear them (or accept patches if you were to implement them yourself). I remember Kovid saying in earlier threads suggesting UI improvements that patches would be welcome, if the changes wouldn't dumb down the UI by making (more advanced) features inaccessible.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Book

The other formats would still be on a drive but not in the Calibre folder or database.

As far as improvement suggestions go I want to work with Calibre more first though I have seen others that I agree with about the naming set up. After being used to opening a folder, see all the books lined up in the folder:

{authorlastname, authorfirstname - seriesnumber -booktitle}

and hitting F3 if I want to search there is an adjustment for me also.

I am used to not wanting or needing all those extra files or folders in my Ebooks folder. Only the epub ebooks in alphabetical order with the cover embedded in the ebook.

Like I said I guess I have an adjustment to make also.

Last edited by Book; 08-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I cannot believe you are not laughing at your own stubborn adamant arrogance.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

I am used to not wanting or needing all those extra files or folders in my Ebooks folder. Only the epub ebooks in alphabetical order with the cover embedded in the ebook.
As has been said MANY times; consider the entire directory structure / file structure created by Calibre and referred to as a library as a black-box; something not to be poked at or manipulated outside of Calibre's control.

I almost wish that Kovid would mangle the file and directory names to drive that point home to people!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
By command line I thought you meant some command feature within Calibre. Freakin programmers, from another planet. This is the future. We are using Graphical Interfaces now. Yes us regular folks know you are programmers. You do not have to keep using command lines to prove it.
You really shouldn't write off the utility of command line tools; for the experienced user, they can be much quicker to use than a GUI interface, especially for a repetitive task. If you want to convert a whole directory full of books it's much, much easier to do it with a command like:

for %a in *.epub do ebook-convert %a ....

than to have to laboriously convert each file in a GUI.

Learn to use the tools at your disposal - you'll be a lot more productive as a result.

Calibre gives you the choice of either a command line OR a GUI; which you decide to use is entirely your choice, but please don't denigrate those who appreciate the power and flexibility of command line interfaces.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote