Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle? Sony PRS-505?

I had a nook on order but have decided to wait for the 2nd generation, as I want to be able to enjoy my reading experience and not let the technology get in the way.

I do have some ebooks which I read on my phone and computer, most in epub, some in pdb. I do use calibre and ADE and I do have a fondness for cabbages so I guess I'm not too concerned with formats. I have the opportunity to purchase a very reasonably priced (considering the current market) PRS-505 and also a NIB Kindle 2 locally for a substantial discount. This would be my first ebook reader. Now my question is, which one??? I've read and read and read... since I don't have a lot of criteria other than the enjoyment of reading my books it's somewhat difficult for me to pick one over the other. So... which one would you pick over the other and why?
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Since you're familiar with cabbages, you know that format removing DRM and format shifting is not that big of a deal. So the question is really about features. Are there particular features you need or want? I know you said you don't have a lot but you must have some.

I have both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 and last month added a 505 to my collection which I'm using to learn about ePub which the Kindle doesn't use. The devices have strong points and not too many weak.

I have a thread called "The Grand Experiment", where I'm documenting my 505 adventure and pointing out areas where I feel the 505 is stronger and where the Kindle is stronger (based on my reading style). Personally, I still prefer the Kindle because I like and miss the keyboard, search functions and page turn buttons when I'm using the 505. Your experience might be totally different.

Whichever you choose, get to know the ins and outs of the device and I'm sure you'll be happy.

BTW, I've hacked both devices to make fit my style more. You can do the same.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

I didn't realize that there are hacks for the Kindle; I knew there are for the Sony. I've hacked my phone (TMo G1), so I'm not afraid to do so for functionality. Layout and intuitiveness of the menu are important to me. I LOVE technology but ultimately I don't want it to get in the way of its intended purpose. A few friends who own the Kindle are always telling me how easy it was for them to use right out of the box, which I think is a big plus. I haven't seen a 505 in person but have demoed a 300 and loved the readability. I think the ability to change font size with little fuss would be a plus, also.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What makes Kindle my choice over the Sony 505 I used to have, is:
- it's a little quicker overall
- I love to be able to look up things in Wikipedia while reading
- I can add a translation dictionary (I'm trying to improve my German vocabulary)
- I like the ergonomics (esp. button placement and that there's something to hold on to - no cramped hands)
- good search possibilities
- I like the keyboard (don't use it a lot, but it's great when I need it, and I prefer it over a virtual keyboard on a screen)
- it's not made entirely in aluminium and thus not as cold to the touch like the 505 were (I like to use it without cover, makes it lighter).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven312 View Post
I didn't realize that there are hacks for the Kindle; I knew there are for the Sony. I've hacked my phone (TMo G1), so I'm not afraid to do so for functionality. Layout and intuitiveness of the menu are important to me. I LOVE technology but ultimately I don't want it to get in the way of its intended purpose. A few friends who own the Kindle are always telling me how easy it was for them to use right out of the box, which I think is a big plus. I haven't seen a 505 in person but have demoed a 300 and loved the readability. I think the ability to change font size with little fuss would be a plus, also.
The screen on the 505 is better than the Kindle 2. I haven't seen a 300 at work (just a blank screen in Target), so I don't know how similar they are. There are more hacks for the 505 than the Kindle and more organizational options. I've actually been using the 505 hacks to bring in a couple of functions I miss on my Kindle (page turn buttons on both sides in approximately the same location, screen grabs, % of book read).

If I could combine the 2, I would probably have my perfect reader.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the usability and intuitiveness of the interface of the Kindle 2 and the Sony 505 is much the same.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The screen on the 505 is better than the Kindle 2. ...
You think so? When I got the Kindle, it appeared a little sharper than the 505.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
You think so? When I got the Kindle, it appeared a little sharper than the 505.
I do, it looks creamier with fewer speckles to my eye. This could be very subjective and vary from device to device and person to person. I do think K1 and the 505 have very similar screens and if the K1 used those big fonts on the home page (or vice versa), it would be harder to tell the difference.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
raven312
Enthusiast

Kindle wins!

Well, the owner of the Kindle made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He sold me his brand new Kindle 2 (he also has the DX, which he prefers) and case for $220, which I thought was reasonable. It's charging now but I have played with it a bit and I can see that ergonomically it fits me very well. The screen is easy for me to read and the buttons were easy to figure out without reading the manual first (reading it now...) I've downloaded a few books from Amazon and will send some over from calibre.
I actually think I made a good choice, though part of me wishes I had waited for the nook - but I'll get the next generation (or at least wait until they've fixed more of the bugs...)
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Well, the owner of the Kindle made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He sold me his brand new Kindle 2 (he also has the DX, which he prefers) and case for $220, which I thought was reasonable. It's charging now but I have played with it a bit and I can see that ergonomically it fits me very well. The screen is easy for me to read and the buttons were easy to figure out without reading the manual first (reading it now...) I've downloaded a few books from Amazon and will send some over from calibre.
I actually think I made a good choice, though part of me wishes I had waited for the nook - but I'll get the next generation (or at least wait until they've fixed more of the bugs...)
Congratulations! When you're all charged up, follow the links in my sig for fun things you can do with your new Kindle.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
raven312
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Congratulations! When you're all charged up, follow the links in my sig for fun things you can do with your new Kindle.
Thanks! I've been looking through your links (and have them bookmarked!) I'm looking forward to many happy hours of reading (and some tweaking...)