Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony would ship it to you there -- the shipping might be a bear, but, there you go.

I don't care if I would have to pay $50 for the shipping because it's still cheaper than the iLiad.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Good point.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony's DRM Set Up for "Connect"

Picked this tidbit up on how the DRM is supposed to work in practical terms.

After making an account with connect store you have to register the devices you want to use with the account (including the downloading computer) -- this is supposed to be straightforward to set up and change (edit -- that is, set up and change what devices you have registered).

Apparently the store is supposed to keep a list of books each person buys something like Baen Webscriptions and Fictionwise do, so that you can download (and re-download) them whenever you want them.

It's supposed to allow registration of 6 devices (counting the downloading computer).

It looks like after that you just download the books you buy and read them on the registered device of your choice.

Not an ideal arrangement, but 6 devices ought to be sufficient for most cases. For those who don't hate the very notion of DRM, it shouldn't be too onerous. Of course, we now know that we have the option of using files from sources other than the Connect Store, so we can avoid it entirely if we so choose.

I also found some indications that Sony may support other file types in the future (they've apparently built firmware/software update capabilities into the PC side software). I'm hoping for something along the lines of the OpenBook standard, myself -- I won't hold my breath, you understand, but I can hope.

Last edited by NatCh; 07-16-2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #19
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Not an ideal arrangement, but 6 devices ought to be sufficient for most cases. For those who don't hate the very notion of DRM, it shouldn't be too onerous.
That, of course, depends.

What denotes a "device"? Can you de-register a device? Say, you decide to upgrade your PC - can you remove the old PC from the list?

And, of course, 6 devices is what it is today, but what about tomorrow? DRM-supporting companies (like Apple, for example) have already shown that they are quite willing to change the DRM terms, without notice, without concent and without compensation to the customers.

And what happens to your eBooks after Sony drops their online store because no one is buying DRMed eBooks?

All in all, like you said:
Quote:
Of course, we now know that we have the option of using files from sources other than the Connect Store, so we can avoid it entirely if we so choose.
So the DRM mess shouldn't hinder the Sony device.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
What denotes a "device"? Can you de-register a device? Say, you decide to upgrade your PC - can you remove the old PC from the list?
A device appears to be a computer, laptop, reader, another reader, etc. And yes: de-registration is what I was trying to say with the comment "this is supposed to be straightforward to set up and change" -- by change I meant unregister and register devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
And, of course, 6 devices is what it is today, but what about tomorrow? DRM-supporting companies (like Apple, for example) have already shown that they are quite willing to change the DRM terms, without notice, without concent and without compensation to the customers.

And what happens to your eBooks after Sony drops their online store because no one is buying DRMed eBooks?

All in all, like you said:

Quote:
Of course, we now know that we have the option of using files from sources other than the Connect Store, so we can avoid it entirely if we so choose.
So the DRM mess shouldn't hinder the Sony device.

Yup, they can change it whenever they like, and their store may very well not make it long-term, particularly if something like the OpenReader standard actually gets off the ground.

But as you point out, the DRM mess seems to be encouragingly unrestrictive on the device itself -- and that's primarily what I'm interested in.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #21
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
A device appears to be a computer, laptop, reader, another reader, etc.
I guess what I was getting at was how does it know I am using Device A vs. Device B?

For the readers, I would suspect that they come with a unique serial number and it would be registered using that serial number.

But what about PCs? I mean installing the reader software would generate a unique enough key, but reinstalling the software or OS would probably cause such a key to be changed.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, I see what you're asking.

I dunno how it knows -- I'm guessing that it's part of the device registration process. I do know that hard drives and CPU's have serial numbers associated with them, perhaps it pulls those? Since this is the schema they've set up, I can only suppose Sony believes that they can tell, somehow.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
on 06-30-2006, 03:24 AM
I think this could be my reader. Too bad there is no information available yet whether Sony will support Apple Mac as well.
Sorry, Alexander, but it looks like their 'puter side software is going to require Windows XP to run (shocking I know). Of course you could still load your TXT/RTF/PDF files onto a memory card and access your files that way....
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #24
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

TXT, RTF and PDF are all very well...what about straight HTML?

yea, six devices "ought to" be enough, but Microsoft Reader has a 6 decive limit as well...and guess what everyone complains about with Microsoft Reader?
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 AM   #25
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Not an ideal arrangement, but 6 devices ought to be sufficient for most cases.
It's rarely how the system is planned to work that's the problem: it's the failure handling, and other unforeseen events. The buyer usually has to take these things entirely on trust ... and when that trust turns out to have been misplaced, the reaction sets in. How long will it take to know what those failures are?

Here is a wild guess about a possible failure ...

Licensed books are, perhaps, tied to the device by some kind of device identity. If that identity data should go away for any reason -- say, total battery failure, or some form of short-circuit (spilled coffee?) and the consequent failure of the identity storage -- existing purchases will also go away.

(Of course, if the purchases are tied to a person rather than a device, other possibilities for failure open up, as well.)

Similar problems exist with any DRM solution, and I'm sure many already have experienced them personally. Still, I think any DRM solution needs to be evaluated from the perspective of how it fails and recovers, as well as from how failure-free operation performs.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #26
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Sorry, Alexander, but it looks like their 'puter side software is going to require Windows XP to run (shocking I know). Of course you could still load your TXT/RTF/PDF files onto a memory card and access your files that way....
hmm ... what's so shocking actually? Windows XP runs on quite a good number of desktop PCs yes?

According to unscientific data from http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp ,

XP - 74.1%
Win2000 - 10.6%
Win98 - 1.6%
WinNT 0.3%
Win2003 2.0%
Linux - 4.4%
Mac - 3.6%
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

@rmeister0: it looks like HTML is not directly supported (which is interesting since the BBeB is supposed to be an XML based format). Of course you could always convert it to another format (PDF for instance) if you desparately needed something on your reader. Not a good solution for HTML, I agree, but I can only guess that since the device is aimed primarily at books, Sony just doesn't think of books as being in HTML format.

Maybe they'll be more open to the OpenReader format than we think since it is an XML based format and so is the BBeB (I'm not suggesting they're the same format -- I'm pretty sure they're not -- just pointing out that they're both XML based).

@ath: The ownership of the books is tied to an account at the Connect store. What's tied to the device is the ability to read the books on those 6 devices. The reason I think that 6 is probably sufficient for most folks, is that I figure I'm going to want to read my e-books on my e-reader (once I have one ), and will be able to resist loading them (for reading) onto every other piece of computer hardware I can lay hands on.

I've explored some extreme cases (such as what happens if my house burns down with all 6 of my devices in it, and I've put my text on all 6 of them?). It looks like that would have to be handled manually by contacting the Connect people and getting the device count totally reset. You're right that that is where the crux of the matter falls -- how sticky would they be about doing that?

That being said, I'm not too worried about it -- if I were to end up with a Sony Reader, I think I'd still try pretty hard to avoid feeding their DRM beast by getting my e-texts elsewhere. So my renewed interest in the reader is really hinged on the fact that it can read RTF/TXT/PDF files natively. It's just nice to see that Sony has apparently learned something from the Libie' DRM debacle. I'm not saying I'd never buy e-texts from them, but I'd be pretty resistant.

@Snappy!: that "shocking" was meant tongue in cheek.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #28
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
I've explored some extreme cases (such as what happens if my house burns down with all 6 of my devices in it, and I've put my text on all 6 of them?). It looks like that would have to be handled manually by contacting the Connect people and getting the device count totally reset. You're right that that is where the crux of the matter falls -- how sticky would they be about doing that?
I think in that case your electronic books would be the least of your concern. I mean; if you had real books you would have lost them also since they are made from paper and burn like hell.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

I agree, DiabloNL, but I was trying to explore the limitations, you see.