Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
commiedic
commiedic began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Just Finished Converting Text Book and ... HUGE ISSUE

Ok, so I successfully converted my History textbook, but this happened.

Normal:
Spoiler:

After Conversion:
Spoiler:

So it went from 480 pages to 8500 pages. It made all the text huge! I do see an option for "Disable Font Size Rescaling" in the conversion "Look & Feel" tab. I was wanting to know if this would fix it. I would try it out, but it took like 750 minutes to complete the conversion last time, and I was surprised my laptop didn't die once while doing it. So I wanna make sure I know how to fix it before trying again.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-02-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: hid huge images
commiedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...verting-to-pdf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Which format have you converted to? Why not change the font size in the new format? Should certainly be less work than going back and converting that monster pdf all over again.

EDIT: Kovid saw what I didn't: You converted into pdf as well. Follow his advice and good luck...

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 02-02-2014 at 12:04 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What format are you converting FROM? Looking at the Screen shot it looks like it might be PDF, and if so calibre does not handle multiple column PDF files.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
commiedic

Sorry for not being clearer. I am converting from .azw4 to PDF.

I am currently attempting to convert from Kindle input to Nook Color output from under the Page Setup tab. Which is what I believe that link (http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...verting-to-pdf) was suggesting I did.

Last edited by commiedic; 02-02-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not a Kindle user so I don't have any azw4 books, but I believe they are already pdf format so shouldn't need converting at all. The KindleUnpack plugin may be some help.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by commiedic View Post
Sorry for not being clearer. I am converting from .azw4 to PDF.

I am currently attempting to convert from Kindle input to Nook Color output from under the Page Setup tab. Which is what I believe that link (http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...verting-to-pdf) was suggesting I did.
You don't want to do that. azw4 is PDF, just in a Amazon wrapper. Converting PDF to PDF in calibre takes it through an intermediate XHTML stage. Not what you want at all.

Get the KindleUnpack plugin. Unpack the azw4. That will extract the PDF that's in the azw4 for you, with minimal changes. (Theoretically, zero changes, but the Kindle PDF renderer might work a little bit differently to whatever one you use with the extracted PDF.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
commiedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You don't want to do that. azw4 is PDF, just in a Amazon wrapper. Converting PDF to PDF in calibre takes it through an intermediate XHTML stage. Not what you want at all.

Get the KindleUnpack plugin. Unpack the azw4. That will extract the PDF that's in the azw4 for you, with minimal changes. (Theoretically, zero changes, but the Kindle PDF renderer might work a little bit differently to whatever one you use with the extracted PDF.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not a Kindle user so I don't have any azw4 books, but I believe they are already pdf format so shouldn't need converting at all. The KindleUnpack plugin may be some help.

Ok, I will try that. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Using that Kindle Unpack Plugin worked! And it was almost instant haha. Ugh...

Last edited by commiedic; 02-02-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Eureka!