Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Reading Timer

Look at this thread for a "Launcher" extension activating this hidden feature.

Eureka has found a disabled Kindle Touch feature which seems to be used in the latest Kindle Paperwhite model announced by Amazon (advertised as "Time to read").

He noticed that in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/reader_plugins.xml there's a commented plugin called Reading Timer (located in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReadingTimer.jar).

I uncommented the plugin and reset the framework after disabling the progress bar in Ixtab's JBPatch (edit: it works with progress bar enabled, too).

When you open a book, in the menu you find a new item "Activate reading timer" (already localized in IT, DE, FR, ES, ...).

After a first phase of "training" the timer begins to work. It seems to give a projection of how much you have already read and how much you miss to the end of the book even if I don't know how accurate it is.

You've to tap on the status line ad the bottom of the display to switch between different infos (time elapsed since beginning, time to the end of the section and of the book).

I'm attaching a few snapshot to give an idea.

Some possible issues...
  • I couldn't find how to reset and start training again.
  • It seems to indicate that most of the books on my kindle have already been read (edit: have not had enough time to verify, but it looks like that it's enough to start reading the book to see the missing time projection going on);
  • It would be nice to "forget" a book and start timing it again.

I wonder (and ask about this to Ixtab) if the infos from this plugin could be integrated in his excellent progress bar patch in JBPatch (and if the plugin itself could be enabled/disabled via jbpatch).

About the screenshots:
  • "Abilita timer di lettura" is "Activate read timer"
  • "hh:mm:ss rimanenti nel libro" is "hh:mm:ss remaining in book"
  • "libro completato" is "book completed".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-12T22_08_35-0200.gif
Views:	781
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	92250   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-12T22_09_12-0200.gif
Views:	737
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	92251   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-12T22_11_05-0200.gif
Views:	862
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	92252  

Last edited by pirl8; 09-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Top find. Good work by all.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Maybe we can use the same plugin extracted from the new paperwhite if "they" fixed it in the meanwhile...(we'll see....)!!

PS Bella scoperta!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Maybe we can use the same plugin extracted from the new paperwhite if "they" fixed it in the meanwhile...(we'll see....)!!
I wonder which kind of firmware will we find in KPW. Maybe 5.2.0?

Quote:
PS Bella scoperta!
The find is by Eureka!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I wonder which kind of firmware will we find in KPW. Maybe 5.2.0?
Does this suggest that the Paperweight is a Kindle Touch 2.0? It would make sense. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the same firmware would run on both devices (which would mean in the long run the KT getting more and more neglected).

The Java framework part will probably be compatible (because that's quite easy to do) but for more native programs we have to wait for the release and the first jail break of the Paperweight.

Last edited by bhaak; 09-13-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typos
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Does this suggests that the Paperweight is a Kindle Touch 2.0? It would make sense. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the same firmware would run on both devices (which would mean in the long run the KT getting more and more neglected).

The Java framework part will probably be compatible (because that's quite easy) but for more native program we have to wait for the release and first jail break of the Paperweight.
I agree with you but I still hope that we can get SOMETHING out of Paperwhite and use it in Touch with no efforts!
(my thoughts are based on the amount of hidden functionalities we have in our Kindles Touch)
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Does this suggest that the Paperweight is a Kindle Touch 2.0? It would make sense. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the same firmware would run on both devices (which would mean in the long run the KT getting more and more neglected).
Besides the capacitive touch screen, a greater screen resolution with a smaller framebuffer and led lights (which doesn't seem to me such a dramatic technological leap) the hardware could be even similar to Kindle 4 non-touch: same storage, no audio... And indeed the K4 non-touch has been revamped, too. It's now advertized as 15% faster in turning pages.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
elRicharD
Enthusiast
elRicharD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
This is a great find, and it will be nice to have it running on my kindle! How should I do? Is there an update package to do this á la JBPatch?
elRicharD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@elRicharD: Yep, something like 5 threads below this one? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191162
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
elRicharD
Enthusiast
elRicharD began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@elRicharD: Yep, something like 5 threads below this one? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191162
Thanks, did not see the link up there, probably wasn't there when I asked.
elRicharD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

If you want to reset the reader timer training, just remove the file in Kindle Touch called:
Code:
/var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzhao View Post
If you want to reset the reader timer training, just remove the file in Kindle Touch called:
Code:
/var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref
Thank you very much. Reading timer extension updated!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
xenon80
xenon80 began at the beginning.

hello, thanks for introducing the reading timer to the kindle touch. i have got a question according to the readability of the timer. when i use the timer to show me time to read to the end of the chapter it also shows me the time i have already read in this book. both are shown at the same time and they overlap each other so it is not readable. is there any possibility that this could be corrected? i use the reading timer in german language.
thanks for your answer.

greetz xenon80
xenon80 is offline   Reply With Quote