Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Kindle books outselling print 2:1 for top 10 bestsellers

According to engadget.

This is an odd statistic:
Quote:
During the past 30 days, Amazon.com customers purchased more Kindle books than print books--hardcover and paperback combined--for the top 10, 25, 100, and 1,000 bestselling books on Amazon.com.
I wonder whether DTB sales are flatter - i.e. the top 1000 isn't the lion's share of book sales because people buy a very wide variety of books. That would explain why they don't just say "customers purchased more Kindle books than print books".

This seems like good news to me in several ways. (1) it suggests that people are buying a lot more ebooks, and (2) it suggests that people aren't just buying the most popular stuff, but a wide range.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Actually it is according to Amazon. The link is further down in the Engadget article.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....648&highlight=

Once you go to the source you realize that in terms of set analysis all we are talking about here is the set of customers who are already Amazon.com customers (like you quoted), and so I could not decide if that is really telling us anything.

Last edited by BWhite; 10-25-2010 at 07:58 PM.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yaay, yet more squishy numbers from Amazon
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
Actually it is according to Amazon. The link is further down in the Engadget article.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....648&highlight=

Once you go to the source you realize that in terms of set analysis all we are talking about here is the set of customers who are already Amazon.com customers (like you quoted), and so I could not decide if that is really telling us anything.
I suppose that depends. I don't buy dead tree books from Amazon (because they cost too much) but will buy ebooks as they sell they most and actually sell to us.

I would think in terms of dead tree customers, Amazon will be losing Australians to the Book Depository, but gaining ebook buyers as one of the few places that still sell to us.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
mopping five
Enthusiast
mopping five doesn't littermopping five doesn't litter

Device: nook
How much does this have to do with new Kindle 3 owners? I know I went hog-wild buying new books when i got my nook.
mopping five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There may be some lift in Sep with new Kindle 3 owners. But there is likely also a dip in sales during Aug when Amazon wasn't selling any new Kindle 2s ... more than 30 days in the quarter without any "new" customers in the full honeymoon phase. To some degree, at least, these two events would cancel each other out.

What's happening is that the base of Amazon Kindle owners is growing month over month; very few Kindles are being retired yet. Plus, I've yet to hear of any backlash of disgruntled Kindle owners -- on the whole, they seem pretty enthused and likely to continue using and buying new content for their device.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I bought Bill Bryson's new book as soon as I got my Kindle.

I loved it. I loved the price. I loved not having to go to the store a or wait for it to arrive.

There's nothing about it I don't like.
markuskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Argh. If these numbers are even halfway true, I may have to bite the bullet, shelve my hatred of Amazon for a bit, and allow my book to be put into Kindle format. It goes totally against my grain, but hey, if that's where my readers are going, I guess I'll have to go there too. Well, at least until I can convince them to go to better sources for their ebooks.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It's worth a try, Steven. And see where you get the greatest sales six months from now. If you do, please let us know your experience.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
tbrookside
Connoisseur
tbrookside has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
I don't know if the DTB sales curve is necessarily flatter - ebooks in the long run are probably a much better long tail venue than print.

But Amazon does offer 4 to 5 as many print books as Kindle books. There are still only 700,000 books in the Kindle Store, and the print database runs into the millions. That makes it a little more difficult to compare the sales performance of the different media without picking a set of books to look at side to side.
tbrookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Jeri Patrick
I like to watch
Jeri Patrick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
The Kindle locks you into buying books from Amazon. Anyone's guess if the stats quoted are accurate or just a marketing ploy.

We never buy paper books but haunt our local library. We bought a Sony PRS-650 because it uses ePUB format and our library has these available for lending.
Jeri Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You can load any book without DRM onto the Kindle once it's converted to mobi, prc, or AZW (which are basically the same format). There are many places to acquire Kindle content including right here at Mobileread.

If you're willing to strip DRM then you can buy anywhere!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri Patrick View Post
The Kindle locks you into buying books from Amazon. Anyone's guess if the stats quoted are accurate or just a marketing ploy.
Yeah, Amazon is out to create a new culture of vendor lock-in to ensure their sales. They know they won't be on top forever, but if they can force end users to remain with them, they can stay up there longer than they otherwise would have. I myself hate it, and think that it's a dirty, evil, anti-customer tactic. If you have to force people to stay with you, then you're doing something wrong, or else you're just flat out lazy and don't even want to try and keep people in your camp. You just force them to stay at gunpoint. Now on the other side of things, if you can make a product and/or service that's so awesome that they can't stay away from you, then you're doing something right. Most companies though chose the lazy way out, and I hate that, because they're more or less pooping all over their customers and insulting them at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
You can load any book without DRM onto the Kindle once it's converted to mobi, prc, or AZW (which are basically the same format). There are many places to acquire Kindle content including right here at Mobileread.

If you're willing to strip DRM then you can buy anywhere!
Exactly! Too bad there's not enough people willing to do that.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
That the only reason you wouldnt bother with Amazon so far Steven? I ask because I know an author who seems to be dragging their feet on getting their book to the Kindle and Im wondering what reasons there may be to warrant this. Surely an author would want their stuff on the Kindle to get it to more audiences faster and maybe even cheaper. At least, thats what I assume.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Yeah, a lot of the reasons for my delays have been moral. In fact, they're so downright greedy and underhanded that I'm looking into doing two versions of my book: One for normal sale, and one for Amazon, the latter of which will be priced half again higher in order to break even on sales through Amazon. They're so blasted crooked that you could use them as a corkscrew. I'm really, really looking forward to someone stepping up and smacking them down hard one of these days.