Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
On a related note, where's Pandora for non-US listeners? The only thing I can see on the site is a notice that I can't use the service as I'm in the wrong country...
Grooveshark

LAST.FM radio

Spotify (if you're in UK, Spain, France and a few select others)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #17
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
It's a shame for those of us outside north america, you can't even use the non-music playing part of pandora to get music suggestions and quite an odd limitation too since you would think that they would want to give people a reason to use their site until such time as it was worth their while expanding.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
eaderigt
eaderigt began at the beginning.

Device: all of them
Hi All,

How about http://beta.booklamp.org/

Best.
Erik
eaderigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Erik - Thanks for the link! It's very much the sort of thing I was wondering about. Quite exciting to see that, actually.

It's apparently not ready yet, but they seem to have some great ideas. It will be very interesting to see what they can do with it... with something like this, quality of execution is everything. So many things will determine the final quality of the recommendations - access and analysis of a huge number of books, properly choosing and applying the right criteria, getting the right feedback mechanisms and all the other details that will go into a successful site.

Let's hope they find a way to make it work!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ah, I just started a similar thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55771

Now I'm going to go back and read this thread.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #21
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ah, I just started a similar thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55771

Now I'm going to go back and read this thread.
Thks Kenny. I think we'll find that this is a common theme on the site that has been discussed in a number of interesting ways. It's so true what you say in that thread, "Life is too short". And with all the books out there, avid readers probably see that constraint more clearly than many because the list of books that you want to read is clearly far longer than the amount of time we will have in a lifetime to read them. So it is all about reading the right books, whether it's for fun or to benefit.

Btw, speaking of other threads on the topic, this one by "frui"
is the recent hot thread that got me thinking about this topic.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, slightly different emphasis I think now that I've re-read the entire thread here.

But yeah -- true in general -- more "stuff" (information) flying around assaulting our senses and how do we find a way to filter and optimize and efficiently process it.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I generally read reviews--and I also like Amazon's recommendations. Other sites use the technique too.

Here's a couple of review sites that I've mentioned before. This first one really breaks down a book into the why and why not:

http://redadept.wordpress.com/

Then there's Books on the Knob:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/

and one of my favorite reviewers because she reviews a bit of everything:

http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com/ (She's a librarian.)

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I'm just trying Book Lamp, but there are really few books to start with...
I tried 1984, and the closest match I got is "Patrioct Act" by the U.S Congress.....

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #25
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
This goes back to some of the same concepts I was referring too (albeit not clearly) in the thread I started last month on how the next big successful reader will have social networking built in. Pandora for books would need the same level of interaction as Pandora for music. Which means the best reader will be the one that lets you rate a book when you read it and through some type of connection to a central database builds your recommendation/taste listing.
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #26
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlquist View Post
This goes back to some of the same concepts I was referring too (albeit not clearly) in the thread I started last month on how the next big successful reader will have social networking built in. Pandora for books would need the same level of interaction as Pandora for music. Which means the best reader will be the one that lets you rate a book when you read it and through some type of connection to a central database builds your recommendation/taste listing.
Which IMHO is a very very bad idea. Whats going to stop the makers of that reader to "abuse" that kind of data by planting ratings/recomendations? Or if not that, using it as a guideline for selecting what kind of author/genre they should supply?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Which IMHO is a very very bad idea. Whats going to stop the makers of that reader to "abuse" that kind of data by planting ratings/recomendations? Or if not that, using it as a guideline for selecting what kind of author/genre they should supply?
Which is what is going on right now in various places -- including wikipedia -- on the web.

People are paid to post favorably for a particular cause.

Could be true or reviewers as well I suppose --- payola and all that sorta bad karma.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-08-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #28
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Which is what is going on right now in various places -- including wikipedia -- on the web.

People are paid to post favorably for a particular cause.
Which is why you should by all means listen to a recommendation, but in the end trust your own judgement
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Which is why you should by all means listen to a recommendation, but in the end trust your own judgement

True. I only want to have some kind of general direction and potentially agreement on books/authors before I spent any time making my own call.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #30
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13xforever View Post
Have anyone tried BookLamp.org? The only problem there is that it's been in beta for ages.
I went and registered so I could try it, but all I found on the site were forums. If there's a link to the actual tool I couldn't find it.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote