Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
Moondance
Moondance began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Vox - I need serious help, issue after issue

I was given a Kobo e-Reader from a friend who it was given to, but she doesn't use it.

It had never been set up or used.

Now, I read e-pub files on my computer. I figured for an e-reader, it would be as simple as, plug the e-reader into my computer (Mac running OSX), open the Finder window for the reader, drag and drop the files to it, eject reader and there they would be.
But no such dice.

So I downloaded the Kobo app for Mac. The app won't even let me add my books to the app, let alone to the reader.
So I downloaded Calibre as one website suggested. I loaded my books into Calibre, sent them to Device. Ejected Device. Not showing up in library.

So I reconnected the reader, double checked in the files themselves that they ARE on the e-reader, and yes, the files are there. They just simply are not being read by the reader.

So, after awhile, I gave up, frustrated and decided to try other aspects of the reader.
Managed to login to Facebook.
That was about it.
I can't login to gmail, google plus, play store, or anything google related. It tells me my password is incorrect (which it isn't, I've tested on multiple devices). The email I get tells me it could be because the security of the app I'm using to login is out of date. But how do I update it without access to play store?

I'm at a loss for what to do.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
Moondance
Moondance began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
The email I receive says:

Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account ___________ from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.

Details:
Sunday, 25 October 2015 18:07 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
Sydney NSW, Australia*

We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable. Learn more.

Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:

--------------
this was using official google apps on the reader itself.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Try turning on access for less secure apps.
https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6010255?hl=en

The settings are here:
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Last edited by arasyi; 10-25-2015 at 10:29 AM.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As to your book issue, I would presume you are using epubs? The Kobo app on the Vox WILL NOT read epubs IIRC. I believe it is like the desktop app and will only read kepubs. You will need to load a different reader app on the Vox to read your books. Which could be a challenge (beyond the fact that you can't get to the google store) since it will now be running a fairly old version of android so you'll have to dig for old versions of programs.
Wish I had simpler/more positive answer for you.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote