Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #106
alekhkhanna
alekhkhanna began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Moon+ Reader Pro will read almost anything.
I use it on my HD+ to read cbr & cbz & pdf comics and it is superb. There is a free version to play with but that doesn't have pdf.

Connects directly to a Calibre server which is also great.
Thanks. I did try Moon Reader but somehow couldn't make it as my staple go to app.
Nevertheless, wanted to know the difference between ComicRack and native CBR/CBZ reading/organization of Nook HD+. Is it worthwhile spending multiple dollars on ComicRack ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
Good buy! I'm quite happy with mine. The screen res IS terrific, and while it is not the fastest tablet out there, it's quite adequate for reading and simple gaming/browsing.
Welcome to the club.
Danke Cortman !

Edit: Tried posting thrice to no avail. Then removed links from Mike's post and can finally post. How long does this restriction last ?
alekhkhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #107
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I've just ventured into reading graphic novels for the first time on my HD+. I bought a couple of different ones from Amazon at Daily Deal discount prices and am reading them on my Kindle For Android app. It works okay and supports panel view but I'm not completely happy with it. My major complaints are that it is very sluggish when switching back and forth from panel to page view and even when advancing from one panel to the next. Also, I can't switch from portrait to landscape view nor can I zoom, except by switching to panel view.

Both books are stiil in the publisher's azw3 format. I had no trouble stripping the DRM when I added them into my Calibre library but I haven't tried to convert the format because I'm not sure if another format and/or another reader would be better.

It sounds like Moon+ Pro is the most versatile and I'm ready to give it a try. If I do, should I use Calibre to convert from azw3 to mobi, to epub, or to another format supported by Calibre and by Moon+? What's the best way for me to proceed?

I'd appreciate any advice from experienced HD+ graphic novel readers.

Last edited by jscarbo; 11-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #108
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
If I do, should I use Calibre to convert from azw3 to mobi, to epub, or to another format supported by Calibre and by Moon+? What's the best way for me to proceed?

I'd appreciate any advice from experienced HD+ graphic novel readers.
As far as conversion goes I would convert to epub. You already have a format that is Kindle compatible so go for something different. Make sure Calibre is converting images to the full screen resolution. If you have cbr or cbz (or pdf, obviously) then Moon+ will read the archive without any conversion.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #109
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekhkhanna View Post
For those reading comics, which one's better: the native Nook Reader or ComicRack (or some other app from Play Store) ?
For CBR and CBZ, I stick with Perfect Viewer. It's the most customizable, and after the initial setup it's the fastest for pageturns, orientation switches, zooming, panning, and moving between issues in a volume. I keep trying ComicRack whenever people recommend it, and it's always still slow. I wouldn't recommend the HD+ native reader for anything except magazines.

I also buy comics via Comixology, which has the best "smart panels" view I've seen, though I do like to see the whole page layout as well. I recently bought a couple collected volumes from Google Play, and the Play Books reader was adequate--I didn't feel the need to DRM strip them or anything just to get them into Perfect Viewer.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #110
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Perfect Viewer is the best. Really great for PDFs, too.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #111
alekhkhanna
alekhkhanna began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
:(

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Sadly, my Nook HD+ is riddled with the battery bug. The moment it goes down to say ~64-63%, it shows "Critical 1% battery remaining". Restarting fixes it for 10 mins or so, and even in that time the battery drains like crazy (~1% every 40-50 secs). After 5-10 mins of use, the 1% battery shows up again.
I'm an international user (India). Any recommendations on what to do ? Will B&N uphold their warranty if I send it across to them ?
alekhkhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #112
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
You might try installing CM10.1 on the internal memory. If it still drains, you can put the stock ROM back on and ship it back to B&N.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #113
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just gave Moon+ Reader another try, this time on my Nook HD. Nice! I found it easy to use, and I like that I can enable the "time left" feature. I may start using it more than the other reading apps I have on my Nook HD. Also, my side loaded font works! I was trying it on my rooted Fire HD last night and couldn't get my font to show up in the list. But to my surprise, it was right there on the Nook.

I am loving the Nook HD more and more all the time!

Oops I forgot this thread was for the HD+. I could try Moon+ on it, though I don't read on it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #114
ac44
ac44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi All,
Newbie here. Really liked what Nook HD+ offered so went for it last week..

Have bought my first comic through kindle app but when i try to read it within the app, the pages are not displayed properly and cannot zoom in/out in order to read the comic.
Tried to use perfect viewer but i cannot trace in which directory kindle stores the comic file.

Where can i find the amazon file?
Do I need to convert it in order to read it?
Why does the Kindle app do not offer any zoom in/out?

Many thanks!
ac44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #115
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac44 View Post
Hi All,
Newbie here. Really liked what Nook HD+ offered so went for it last week..

Have bought my first comic through kindle app but when i try to read it within the app, the pages are not displayed properly and cannot zoom in/out in order to read the comic.
Tried to use perfect viewer but i cannot trace in which directory kindle stores the comic file.

Where can i find the amazon file?
Do I need to convert it in order to read it?
Why does the Kindle app do not offer any zoom in/out?

Many thanks!
Not knowing exactly how Kindle handles comics, I suspect getting it into another app will require downloading it via Kindle for PC and getting it into Calibre (you'll have to google Apprentice Alf to figure that out). I've heard that the Kindle app has "smart panels" for comics, so maybe it's just a choice of full page or panel-by-panel, but again I haven't tried it.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #116
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Kindle For Android only supports two views for graphic novels, full page or panel view. To switch back and forth, you double tap anywhere on the page. A single tap will advance to the next page or next panel, depending on which view you're using. You can't pinch to zoom and can't switch to landscape view in the Kindle app.

The Apprentice Alf plug-ins work fine in Calibre so Calibre users should be able to convert them to epub and use an alternative reader such as Perfect Viewer, although I haven't tried to do so yet.

Amazon has been running a bunch of promotions on comics and graphic novels lately. At the moment, Vol.1 of many DC superhero series are on sale for $3.03 each. Typically, each volume includes 7 or 8 individual issues, so it's a good deal. For example, see this one: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Robin-V...+comics+vol.+1

If you scroll down to the "Customers also bought" section you can find others.

Last edited by jscarbo; 11-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #117
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Google Play Books on the other hand supports pinch to zoom and orientation changes, but not panel view. I suppose between the two I'd take GPB. Of course, Kindle for Android does a mediocre job with regular books, too. GPB isn't up to the standards of third party readers (i.e. those designed to be readers and not storefronts or DRM management platforms), but it's a good bit more usable than KfA, especially on a large device like the HD+.

ETA: Just confirmed for myself that GPB comics are ADE PDFs and do play nice with the Tools.

Last edited by taosaur; 11-11-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #118
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Hey! Today is 11-12-13!! My sister just told me!

Ok.. I bought my HD+ last June primarily because the price was great and I needed something lighted. I was caring for a relative and he had terrible lighting at his home, so this solved the problem. He did not have WIFI, so I had to update stuff whenever I was at the hospital (about every other week).

I think it is heavy, so it is not my preference. However, I love the apps that help make reading pdf's a breeze. I also love it for playing audiobooks (get Smart Audiobook Player). For a tablet, I think it's perfect for me and cost a great deal less than the Ipad, which I had a hunkering for although I didn't have a NEED.

I do recommend getting a clear cover for it to prevent scratches. I know plenty of people who regret not getting one for their devices. Otherwise, enjoy your purchase. You will keep finding out new uses for it over the next few months. I had no idea I could play Audible books on it, much less sideload them until recently.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #119
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I've just switched mine over to CM10.1, a proper install rather than on a memory card.

I had a bit of issues with the keyboard, which are now resolved.

Overall it's a pleasant improvement and one that I'll tweak until it's just right.

However now that I don't have the Nook app....

Which would be be possible candidates for apps to read books. Ideally I'd like to have lots of books on the device without being swamped. Being able to read PDF magazine type files would be nice too - but not essential as I could use a different app.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #120
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My current favorite is the free version of Moon+. I also like Mantano and Coolreader.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote