Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Glowlight screen darker than the Classic

I purchased the new Glowlight about 10 days ago. I have a couple of tablets but this is only my second e-ink reader after purchasing a Nook Classic when they were first made available. I love the much smaller form factor and lighter weight. I do miss the page turn buttons but I'm getting use to not having them. The storage size is more than adequate for me. I removed the 2GB SD card from my Classic because I never had enough stuff on the internal memory to fill it. I don't understand why it's so important to have thousands of books on your e-reader. You can always store some elsewhere. Anyway my main issue with my Glowlight is that it's screen with the light off is significantly darker than the Classic's screen. I only want to use the light in low light or dark conditions because using the light to me is too much like using my tablets. Is the screen of the Glowlight naturally darker or is it possible there is something wrong with my screen? I really don't like the dark unlit screen and am thinking about returning it because of that. I only have a few days to decide. The included picture is of both of my Nooks where you can see the difference. It doesn't look as bad on the picture, it's more pronounced live.

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 11-26-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: image was deleleted for being too large
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't think your screen is defective. I find that you can turn the light on in daylight, and it makes the screen look whiter. If you try adjusting the light level I find that it makes the screen look pretty natural to me. It's not the same effect of glowing like when you use the light at night. Good luck!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I don't think your screen is defective. I find that you can turn the light on in daylight, and it makes the screen look whiter. If you try adjusting the light level I find that it makes the screen look pretty natural to me. It's not the same effect of glowing like when you use the light at night. Good luck!
I like the paper and ink look of e-readers opposed to the backlit look of tablets when reading e-books. My new Glowlight screen is more sepia than white without the light. But as you suggested I can probaby just turn the light on low to lighten up the screen a bit. I really like everything else about it.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Has anyone compared the new Glowlight WITH THE LIGHT OFF versus the Simple Touch (non-glow version)? Considering that the Simple Touch's screen was lighter (IMHO) than the Classic's screen, based on what JerseyBiker is saying, it sounds like the new Glowlight WITH THE LIGHT OFF must be considerably darker than the Simple Touch. Is this the case?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't know specifically if the Glowlight is darker than the ST, but there is a very good chance it is. The additional light guide layer on the lighted screens does have an impact on the screen. It is true of all lighted ereaders. If it has a capacitive touch screen and not the older style infra red touch screen that adds another layers.

In the case of Kobo, there is an argument that their latest reader the Kobo Aura, is in some ways a step back from the Kobo Glo because with the light off the screen is darker/more grey on the Aura (capacitive) than on the Glo (infra red).

For Kindle's some people prefer the basic non-touch screen Kindle ($69) over the Paperwhite, because with the light off (or at its lowest) on the PW, the screen isn't as light as on the basic Kindle. The newest Paperwhite has an improved e-ink screen (carta while everything else still uses pearl) and it has made it a little better.

As Bookworm_Girl says, the answer is generally to get used to having the light on all the time, just have it at a high enough level that it makes the screen pleasantly light, but that you can't really see the light is on. That is why you have the light at a low level in dark/gloomy settings, but if you are in a brightly lit room, you'll possibly have the light at a higher setting. It seems to be the opposite from what you'd think, but that's just how you get the best use of the light on them. And if you use it that way, the screen will look better than on the ST.

However, if you can't get a setting that you are happy with and feel your eyes don't like the light, maybe a lighted reader isn't for you? That is what Sony seem to be banking on with their decision not to use integrated lighting, and there is clearly still a market for that basic Kindle too. Perhaps Nook should also have considered an updated version of the standard ST?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 11-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Thanks for the interesting response I_macd. Indeed, I think that a lighted ereader is not for me. I am very used to reading the ST using a lamp, as I would with a real book (a what??). I never got the glow version of the ST because the screen looked worse with the light off, although I could see how having a light available might be nice. So, when the new Glowlight came out, I was again thinking of getting it, since I think it has a higher-res screen and sharper text. But I would still only want to use the light as an option and usually just read with a lamp. Sounds like I'll be sticking with my old ST, which I still think is excellent.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote