Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Issues with leaving Cybook on all the time?

Sorry if this has been addressed already--I did a search and couldn't find this issue specifically.

My reading time is often in small bits--train rides, etc.--and it is frustrating for me to wait for the Cybook to boot up. (Yes, I know it boots fairly quickly but I am Instant Gratification Girl. ) I am considering just setting it to not turn off. I currently have the Auto Power Off set to 1 hour, which is nice for longer reading sessions if I get up to get a drink or the phone rings or something.

I was wondering if there were any issues involved in leaving the Cybook on all the time; specifically I'm wondering about screen burn-in. Is that an issue for eInk? Does ghosting become an issue? I do keep the Cybook set to flash between page turns, it doesn't bother me and I don't even really notice it anymore.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Sorry if this has been addressed already--I did a search and couldn't find this issue specifically.

My reading time is often in small bits--train rides, etc.--and it is frustrating for me to wait for the Cybook to boot up. (Yes, I know it boots fairly quickly but I am Instant Gratification Girl. ) I am considering just setting it to not turn off. I currently have the Auto Power Off set to 1 hour, which is nice for longer reading sessions if I get up to get a drink or the phone rings or something.

I was wondering if there were any issues involved in leaving the Cybook on all the time; specifically I'm wondering about screen burn-in. Is that an issue for eInk? Does ghosting become an issue? I do keep the Cybook set to flash between page turns, it doesn't bother me and I don't even really notice it anymore.
There is no screen burn-in issue for eINK. The only negative is that the battery will run down sooner and eventually need replacing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
MaggieScratch
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, the battery issue certainly is a consideration. Thanks for the information, Dale.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does leaving it on really have a significant impact on battery longevity? I was under the impression that a Lithium Ion battery, such as the Gen3 uses, had a pretty much fixed life, regardless of how often it was charged.

At least the Gen3 has a user-replacable battery, and replacement batteries are pretty inexpensive. We're in a much better position than our friends with a Sony or an iLiad. I think the Kindle has a user-replaceable battery, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does leaving it on really have a significant impact on battery longevity? I was under the impression that a Lithium Ion battery, such as the Gen3 uses, had a pretty much fixed life, regardless of how often it was charged.

At least the Gen3 has a user-replacable battery, and replacement batteries are pretty inexpensive. We're in a much better position than our friends with a Sony or an iLiad. I think the Kindle has a user-replaceable battery, too.
No, it has a fixed amount of charge cycles. And I saw claim that topping it up does not count a one charge cycle but just counts for the part of a cycle it corresponds to.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Most of the information has already been posted in this thread but just as a quick summary:

When leaving the Cybook on at all times it will consume a little bit of enery all the time. Even though the screen doesn't consume electricity as long as you don't flip a page the memory where the firmware resides needs a small amount of power while the Cybook is turned on.
Even though the amount of energy consumed is very small (compared to other devices where the screen consumes most of the battery's energy) it really adds up over the course of days and weeks.
So, basically it might mean that you need to recharge a couple of days earlier than you would have to with the auto-switch off. As the battery is only good for a certain number of charge cycles that means you will need a new battery earlier (how much earlier exactly is hard to say).

So, while it'll probably make not too much of a difference I'd still suggest to turn it off if you don't use it for extended periods of time (e.g. during the night). I, personally, switch it off rather early and a charge lasts me usually around a month even though I use it daily. I know exactly what you mean when you mention the problem with trains, I solved this by pressing the button on the device in my pocket while still waling up/down the stairs to the platform. Once I'm on the train and sitting my Cybook will have booted and is ready to use... And with auto-switch off set to half an hour switching trains is not a problem, neither.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
So, basically it might mean that you need to recharge a couple of days earlier than you would have to with the auto-switch off.
It's rather more than that. If you leave the Gen3 running continually, a full battery charge will last about 4-5 days. If you read a couple of hours a day, and switch off after every session, the battery will last for weeks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It's rather more than that. If you leave the Gen3 running continually, a full battery charge will last about 4-5 days. If you read a couple of hours a day, and switch off after every session, the battery will last for weeks.
Yes, and the number of cycles you have is 100 (for 75-85 % of capacity) or 500 (for maybe 70% capacity). 500*4 is 2000 days so I do not think this is a problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:

Yep, the Kindle has a user-replaceable battery as well. Very easy to get to--just slide off the back cover (no screws or anything) and pop it out.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
MaggieScratch

Thanks for all the advice and information. I think I'm going to go with the turn it off at night and when I won't be using it for long periods plan.

Snuffi, I'm already trying to remember to turn it on early--when I leave the house and in the evening before I leave work when I'm putting everything in my handbag, I just flick it on. I have it set to turn off in an hour, so that's plenty of time. And it's ready to go when I sit down. I'm getting great battery life--I try to top it up every couple of days, but only go below 50% when I'm doing a really long reading session.