Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #2071
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Talking JB up and running again on fw 5.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ssholloway: That vaguely looks like a conked out JB... try the latest hotfix? (FWIW, that L# points to EOF)
Wow! That was a fast update to the hotfitx. And it works like a charm! Many, many thanks.

I assume the discrepancy in line numbers is how different editors count lines.

Would it be appropriate to put a link to the hotfix post in the JB FAQs? Something along the lines of "If you're instructed to download the latest hotfix, go here." Just a humble suggestion from a grateful user.

Last edited by ssholloway; 08-13-2015 at 12:12 PM.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #2072
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Like this?

Quote:
EVEN MORE IMPORTANT notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0:

NOTE: If you had the misfortune of getting a silent OTA update to FW >= 5.6.1 while running an outdated JailBreak, all is not lost, you should be able to get everything back up without jumping through too many hoops .
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #2073
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ssholloway: Just to be perfectly clear: the hotfix did the job? Everything's fine now?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #2074
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Like this?
Ah ha! I didn't realize that linked to the hotfix. Should have checked it out. Instead, I just bookmarked the hotfix post the first time I found it.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #2075
ssholloway
Connoisseur

Quote:
@ssholloway: Just to be perfectly clear: the hotfix did the job? Everything's fine now?
Yes, it worked. Everything is back to normal.
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #2076
srs
srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 300
I have a PW2 on 5.4.5.1 and thinking of updating to the latest firmware (mostly to try out the new Bookerly font).

I have installed kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N and KUAL-v2.5, is there any other precaution I should take before updating ota?

Is there anything I will lose or that is irreversible in going to the latest firmware? I don't think I would be able to use the Kindle with Librarian Sync.

What are the opinions on the Bookerly font? Is it worth it?
srs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #2077
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not aware of any issues that would stop LibrarianSync from working...

I know nothing about the Bookerly font (other than that it exists ), but as long as you have the latest jailbreak+KUAL installed, you should be fine. We already have confirmation that the jailbreak still works as expected after the update, which is all that really matters*.

* -- in terms of protecting you during the update, at least.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #2078
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs View Post
I have a PW2 on 5.4.5.1 and thinking of updating to the latest firmware (mostly to try out the new Bookerly font).

I have installed kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N and KUAL-v2.5, is there any other precaution I should take before updating ota?
If you got those from NiLuJe's snapshot thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
You should have that part well covered.
You will need the MrPI, KUAL extension to install anything else on 5.6.x, but that can wait until after the upgrade (its just a document, like KUAL is.)
Quote:
Is there anything I will lose or that is irreversible in going to the latest firmware? I don't think I would be able to use the Kindle with Librarian Sync.
You will never be able to go back without a serial cable.
I am pretty sure I have seen reports that Librarian Sync works on 5.6.5.
Quote:
What are the opinions on the Bookerly font?
Is it worth it?
I haven't seen it, but a little digging at recent posts should give you an idea of people's reactions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 AM   #2079
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Why a serial cable? What benefit does that have over plain old boot to diags and ssh in using USBNetwork?

...still not for the faint of heart...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #2080
evianluw
Enthusiast
evianluw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Seriously considering about the latest update for kpw too. Seems intriguing: new Bookerly font, improved kerning and hyphenations, smart lookup...
I have installed KUAL, Mrpi in my kindle, and later on I will apply the latest jailbreak. After the update, should I do more change?
evianluw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #2081
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why a serial cable? What benefit does that have over plain old boot to diags and ssh in using USBNetwork?

...still not for the faint of heart...
Only because I keep forgetting to assume they have USBnetworking installed, or mentioning: "USBnet and/or Serial port"

Guess I should order a new rubber stamp for that question or reprogram the answer key macro.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #2082
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pushed a release version of USBNet. There's a bunch of new tools bundled, most of which were announced in the snapshots thread at the time (most notably, zsh & nano).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-18-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #2083
CoolkcaH
CoolkcaH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (US, Intl) 90D4
Update greyed out

Hi,

I tried everything, and also the current snapshop.
Update Your Kindle is always greyed out.

I'm on 5.4.2 jailbroken (not sure wich jailbreak, long time ago).
Have a 90D4 device.

Also have Duokan if that matters.

I want to update to latest.
Shoud I just update to 5.6 and run the hotfix?

Thanks!
CoolkcaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #2084
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@CoolkcaH: I'm going to blame Duokan on this one, your device is definitely supported.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #2085
knc1
Going Viral

Duokan has a designed-in conflict with our jail break certificate.

Start out by (re-)installing the most recent (like, yesterday) jailbreak from NiLuJe's snapshot thread (its prefix is: tools).

That should not disturb your Doukan install.

Be sure to keep it away from Wifi networks until your ready to update to 5.6.5 firmware.

Note that the 5.6.5 update should trash your Doukan install.
**except** for the things Doukan did to your /var/local directory contents.
there might be conflicts there also after you update to 5.6.5

Last edited by knc1; 08-19-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch