Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #2056
mfirewire
mfirewire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_carlos View Post
Good news guys, i just updated my PW2 to 5.6.5, and the JB survived it, everything is working so far.
Great!
mfirewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #2057
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Way to go Lab126!

You put in $$$$ and many hours to control access to the on-board copy of the firmware in 5.6.x series.
**THEN**
You ship your new font in a publicly available Update_*.bin package.

Hmm...
They all must have skipped the "common sense" class during their firmware security course.

Does this mean there might be a way to jail-break PW2/3 with the latest firmware sometime soon?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #2058
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Does this mean there might be a way to jail-break PW2/3 with the latest firmware sometime soon?
Not really.

But I do know that some people are still poking at the firmware in hopes of discovering something helpful.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:20 AM   #2059
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Good news guys, i just updated my PW2 to 5.6.5, and the JB survived it, everything is working so far.
That's really good news, I was looking forward hypenation, I shall update as soon as I get back from holidays.

Question, though: I will put on the latest snapshot of niluje's jailbreak, ok.
After the upgrade all other hacks will be disabled and I will have to reinstall, fine.
But, what happens if the fonts hack gets disabled while I have a standard font replaced by a custom one?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #2060
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
That's really good news, I was looking forward hypenation, I shall update as soon as I get back from holidays.
Hyphenation only works with Amazon-bought .kfx books. (KFX is a new file format.)
If hyphenaton is important to you, you'll need to use the Hyphenate This! Calibre plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
But, what happens if the fonts hack gets disabled while I have a standard font replaced by a custom one?
The font hack might survive the update. I reinstalled the latest snapshot version after the firmware update to be on the safe side and the Code2000 fallback font replacement that I had defined was still working.
However, I noticed some strange behavior when I selected the new Bookerly font: for some books my PW2 displayed a sans-serif font instead of Bookerly. which is a serif font (like Caecilia).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #2061
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As usual, full updates wipe the hacks, perfectly expected behaviour .

@Doitsu: Oh, yeah, the addition of Bookerly probably messed up a number of things in fun and interesting ways. Guess I'll finally have to sacrifice the PW2 to update to 5.6.5 to look into this... :/.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-12-2015 at 03:48 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #2062
Case
Case began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Same here, Jailbreak survived nicely.
kterm is broken however, seems like libpng got updated to libpng16 whereas it's linked to libpng12. Would be awesome if someone with a working cross-compile toolchain could compile a new version.
Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #2063
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case View Post
Same here, Jailbreak survived nicely.
kterm is broken however, seems like libpng got updated to libpng16 whereas it's linked to libpng12. Would be awesome if someone with a working cross-compile toolchain could compile a new version.
You should not need a rebuild, not the way ELF format libraries are intended to be built and used.

You just need to add a symbolic link from the full name of libpng12 to the full name of the new libpng16 (in the same directory they are in).

I.E: The symbols in the libraries are versioned, and the "16" library **should** have all of the "12" library entry points.

- - - -

PS: Everybody that can find NiLuJe's "snapshots" thread (prefix: tools) has a cross-compile toolchain.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #2064
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Updated to 5.6.5 -- Can't reinstall hacks through MRPI

PW2 (90D4) running FW 5.4.2 with JB 1.14.N (Nov 29, 2014 timestamp), KUAL 2.5 (Nov 25, 2014 timestamp) and MRPI 1.5.N (Feb 12, 2015 timestamp). Backdoor lock was working so manually downloaded 5.6.5 and updated. Uploaded linkss and python bins into mrpackages directory, started KUAL, selected "Install MR Packages", got "Launching the MR Installer" message and then . . . crashed out of KUAL. KUAL log says

./bin/mrinstaller.sh: line 686: can't create /dev/console: Permission denied
./bin/mrinstaller.sh: line 686: can't create /dev/console: Permission denied

Hmmm. Bins still in mrpackages and no mrinstaller error log that I could find. Let's try using current KUAL, helper, MRPI, linkss and python snapshots. No joy. Same error.

OK, maybe JB got crunched in 5.6.5 update. Won't hurt to try JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix. Uploaded Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin (July 17, 2015 timestamp) to PW2, ejected and immediately got the message

An invalid update file has been loaded on your device. Please go to [long URL] or contact Amazon . . .

Not that I had great hopes but it would have been nice if it had worked.

Any suggestions? I'm on a Mac so I can do Unix commands through terminal but USBNet is also not working through KUAL (KUAL log says "can't create /dev/console: Permission denied" error at line 40 several times) and ;un in search box doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #2065
knc1
Going Viral

That update has been reported working on your model of Kindle.

So we need to look at what is happening at your end of the conversation.

The "hotfix" -
It is not clear from your post if you ran it or not.
So run it, tell us what happened and any message(s) that where displayed.

The "bridge" -
Forget that, you already have it (as part of the jailbreak and hotfix).

And then -
You need to re-install everything else.
Start with the most recent KUAL and most recent MrPI - only they will work properly on this newest of firmwares.

Since your upgrading to the newest of the new firmware versions, you should be using the more recent than recent update packages.
(Actually, you should have update **our** stuff, including your jailbreak, before you did the Amazon firmware update - oh, well, SH).

On the index page of this forum -
Select "Tools" in the prefix drop-down box -
Click "Show Threads" -
Browse through that listing of threads until find the "NiLuJe snapshots ..." tread -
Click that one and use those packages for your re-installation.

You **should not** have any problems.
If you do have problems ....
Consider buying paperback books next time Let us know.

Last edited by knc1; 08-12-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #2066
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
The "hotfix" - It is not clear from your post if you ran it or not.
So run it, tell us what happened and any message(s) that where displayed.
To clarify my post, I uploaded Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin, which is the only bin in the JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix.zip file, to my PW2, ejected and immediately got the message: An invalid update file has been loaded on your device. Please go to [long URL] or contact Amazon . . .

Quote:
You need to re-install everything else. Start with the most recent KUAL and most recent MrPI - only they will work properly on this newest of firmwares . . . Click [NiLuJe snapshots thread] and use those packages for your re-installation.
I re-installed KUAL and MrPI from the snapshots thread yesterday before I tried the hotfix. And I got the same error about /dev/console as with the earlier versions. So then I tried the hotfix and got the error message shown above. But just for completeness sake, I re-installed KUAL and MrPI from the snapshots after the failed hotfix but got the /dev/console error again, which didn't surprise me since the hotfix didn't run.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #2067
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The (current) hotfix won't run on 5.6.5, that's expected (I need to update it).

The /dev/console thing is weird though, what's the exact error w/ the latest snapshots? (because L#686 is a comment in my current copy, so... ).
Old 08-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #2068
ssholloway
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The (current) hotfix won't run on 5.6.5, that's expected (I need to update it).

The /dev/console thing is weird though, what's the exact error w/ the latest snapshots? (because L#686 is a comment in my current copy, so... ).
My mistake. The error is on line 752 in mrinstaller.sh in the latest snapshot, which is an "esac" command: "./bin/mrinstaller.sh: line 752: can't create /dev/console: Permission denied." Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your help, NiLuJe. Let me know if you want me to run any additional tests since I doubt I can do much more damage than I already have.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #2069
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As usual, full updates wipe the hacks, perfectly expected behaviour .

@Doitsu: Oh, yeah, the addition of Bookerly probably messed up a number of things in fun and interesting ways. Guess I'll finally have to sacrifice the PW2 to update to 5.6.5 to look into this... :/.
Thanks @doitsu.
Niluje, so no need to put the official fonts up before upgrading, everything will get back to official behavior on its own?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #2070
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ssholloway: That vaguely looks like a conked out JB... try the latest hotfix? (FWIW, that L# points to EOF)

@all: Anyone else having troubles with 5.6.5?

@Ruskie_it: Yup, no need to touch anything. Your settings will take only as soon as you reinstall the hack. (You *could* disable it before if you want to be extra-safe, but that's err... currently broken, and I can't remember if I pushed snapshots with the fix for that... ^^).

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch