Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #2026
BookishMonster
BookishMonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We can't know what things need to be improved, and/or better described unless people tell us their troubles.

For instance, it is beginning to sound from the posts of the past few days like we need another 'spoiler' of directions in the very first post specifically for the people that have had their PW-1 and PW-2 OTA updated.

- - - -

As for being upset with Amazon . . . .
Don't even get me started (again), everyone has read my rants before.
I'm just grateful to you guys for finding a way around this nefarious plan to make us safe from personal screensavers!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

I kept notes for the step-by-step in an email to myself as I did with the previous one. Since we came late to the party that was a stumbling block knowing the steps A-Z and where to find the pieces.

Über grateful to have my personal screensavers back. I needed the win this week (and it's only just Wednesday of the workweek!)
BookishMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #2027
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMonster View Post
I'm just grateful to you guys for finding a way around this nefarious plan to make us safe from personal screensavers!!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Yes...thank you!
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #2028
Brynwall
Enthusiast
Brynwall began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Thank you for the updated hotfix!!!!!!!!

I mostly jailbreak my PW2 for the screensaver hack and it drives me nuts when I see the default screensavers. haha
Brynwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #2029
jchtt
jchtt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Will the current jailbreak version work with the PW3 when using a serial connection or does it need some modification?
jchtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #2030
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No modifications needed just manually run `jb.sh`.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #2031
gett
gett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
New Kindle Paperwhite 2015 jailbreak

Hi,
I am sorry for n00b question. I wish to buy New Kindle Paperwhite from amazon. I suppose that the firmware will be 5.6.0 or greater. As far as I understand from the OP, there is no way to jailbreak it. Right?
gett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #2032
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jchtt: most everything will, at the very least, need to be taught how to properly ID the PW3. Hence our call for data .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #2033
dpbmobi
dpbmobi began at the beginning.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Eschwarz for getting me here. Okay. I posted a thread about this. Amazon downloaded the 5.6.1.1. version to my Kindle Paperwhite 1 without any warning last night. I had done the jailbreak, did the fonts package, and had also loaded on the Koreader with the KVP Booklet. Now none of this works. Plus there's all sorts of garbage on my device I don't want.

Sorry, but I'm very much a newbie and there's a lot of postings here. Is there some way to uninstall or disable this upgrade and return it to the 5.3.5 version so I can reinstall the software? I'm not sure where to find or how to install the hotfix that I see mentioned here or what else to do.

Thanks. I would really appreciate any help on this. I want my Kindle back.

David
dpbmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #2034
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
NOTE: If you had the misfortune of getting a silent OTA update to FW >= 5.6.1 while running an outdated JailBreak, all is not lost, you should be able to get everything back up without jumping through too many hoops .
With link to the hotfix and instructions.

You will have to reinstall all hacks, using the MobileRead Package Installer (also linked in the OP).
Make sure you redownload the latest version of everything -- most of it should still work on fw5.6.1.1, although I know for example Collections Manager won't.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-28-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #2035
dpbmobi

Hi:

I did install the Jailbreak 1.4.N-FW-5.6x-hotfix.zip and the Kindle did update. Then kual-mr.installer. But I've tried reinstalling kobo reader and it doesn't show. Also, if I load books into the documents file only a couple are recognized in .sdr files. Here are the files so far in the Kindle folder:

.active-content_sandbox
.active-content-data
documents
extensions
fonts
koreader
mkk
mrpackages
rp
system
driveinfo.cache
metadata.calibre
USE_ALT_FONTS

mrpackages is empty
rp is empty

I am losing track a little bit of what is what. Where do I go from here? Are there steps I should have followed after the hotfix worked that I didn't do?

Thanks a lot.

D.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:10 AM   #2036
dpbmobi

BTW I am reading through older posts and trying not to reinvent the wheel. So far, I think the hotfix was installed (Jailbreak 1.4) but I'm not sure if I did the kual installer correctly. Thanks for the help. I am still trying different things.

D.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #2037
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbmobi View Post
Hi:

I did install the Jailbreak 1.4.N-FW-5.6x-hotfix.zip and the Kindle did update. Then kual-mr.installer. But I've tried reinstalling kobo reader and it doesn't show.
- - - -
Kobo reader?
Do you mean KOreader published here?

How did you try to install it?
By following the instructions of MrPI?
You should have gotten a message of some sort from MrPI when it installed (or tried to install) that (or any) package.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #2038
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Have you updated KUAL to the latest version?

KUAL had to be updated to utilize gandalf (in the latest jailbreak) for root permissions on fw5.6.x -- you need at least KUAL 2.5 to launch apps like KOReader that need root.
Or indeed to use MrPI to begin with.

When I said "redownload the latest version of everything", emphasis on the everything.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #2039
dpbmobi

Hi Guys,

Thanks for keeping with me on this. I did the hotfix and that seemed to update. Now I want to reinstall the KOreader if possible and a fonts package. Yes, not Kobo, sorry. I have found the site for the KUAL 2.5. Okay. Installed the 2.0 and now I get a screen that says no extensions found. What do I do next and how do I get to the Ko Reader (I have these files from my previous update).

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #2040
dpbmobi

Okay. Just to put the latest in here. I have on the Menu, above my books
KUAL ixtab NiLuJe twobob stepk
and then Dev on the right hand side.
I tap on KUAL and the interface noted above comes up in new screen. with KUAL option and Quit. Not sure what to do next.
Thanks.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch