Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #2011
BookishMonster
BookishMonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Thanks to all who have offered help thus far.
@knc1 I gave it a whirl and then my hubby spent over an hour on it (he was the one to successfully jailbreak via this site a few years ago.

He added the KUAL, MRInstaller and the hotfix. We still have no personal screensavers.

I see the following when I plug in my Kindle:

Kindle > Development > KUAL > metadata/temp/work
Kindle > Extensions > Helper/linkss/MRinstaller
Kindle > Jailbrake (EMPTY)
Kindle > linkss > backups/bin/cover_cache/discarded/etc/overflow/run/screensavers (with all of my old screensavers!)
Kindle > mkk
Kindle > mrpackages (EMPTY)
Kindle > Python > bin/include/lib
Kindle > rp (EMPTY)
Kindle > src > payload (this has jailbreak.keystore/jailbreak.pem/jailbreak, jailbreak-kv, jailbreak-pw

Sorry to be a pest... Am I missing a step? Too many extras in the Kindle root?

Thank you!
BookishMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #2012
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
So -- you successfully installed the hotfix (Update Your Kindle NOT grayed out), and KUAL now runs?

Did you insert the update_*.bin's for the screensaver and python, into the "[userstore]/mrpackages" folder?

And then did you run MrPI?
The screen should've cleared and a bunch of text... thingys... pop up as it tries to install the packages in question.

Where during this process, if anywhere, did things go wrong?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2015, 01:48 AM   #2013
BookishMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
So -- you successfully installed the hotfix (Update Your Kindle NOT grayed out), and KUAL now runs?

Did you insert the update_*.bin's for the screensaver and python, into the "[userstore]/mrpackages" folder?

And then did you run MrPI?
The screen should've cleared and a bunch of text... thingys... pop up as it tries to install the packages in question.

Where during this process, if anywhere, did things go wrong?
Thank you @eschwartz!
I did all of the above again and the text pops up at the bottom... says it's installing the MR Packages, but then immediately says "destroying packages" and it removes kindle-linkss-0.21.N and kindle-python-0.11.N-pw2

I turn off/on and the same ol ugly stock Kindle screensavers are there. :/

Have I truly been defeated by Amazon?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #2014
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Grab the latest snapshots of linkss and python: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030 and try installing those.

"Destroying packages" happens when they can't be installed, usually due to version checks.

The good excellent news is if you got that far, the hotfix most certainly worked. All the hard stuff is officially over!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #2015
BookishMonster

Quote:
Grab the latest snapshots of linkss and python: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030 and try installing those.

"Destroying packages" happens when they can't be installed, usually due to version checks.

The good excellent news is if you got that far, the hotfix most certainly worked. All the hard stuff is officially over!
Thanks @eschwartz.

I installed the new files:

Update_linkss_0.23.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv.bin
Update_python_0.13.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv.bin

This time it said it was installing, I got a message the files were being destroyed and the UI was updating. Still not seeing my personal screensavers. It hates me.
and and
Advert
Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #2016
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Thank you!

Im a little closer. I have Kual installed and am just working through how to get linkss to find my images again. Really appreciate the steering!
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #2017
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMonster View Post
Thanks @eschwartz.

I installed the new files:

Update_linkss_0.23.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv.bin
Update_python_0.13.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv.bin

This time it said it was installing, I got a message the files were being destroyed and the UI was updating. Still not seeing my personal screensavers. It hates me.
and and
Duh...
Why are you using the pw2_kt2_kv updates instead of the touch_pw updates?
According to your info block, you have a PW-1 (formally known, when it was the only one, as: PW).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #2018
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Oh yeah, that would do it.
Can't see the forest for the trees...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #2019
BookishMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Duh...
According to your info block, you have a PW-1 (formally known, when it was the only one, as: PW).
Because it was really late for me and my eyes were going kind of squirrelly?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #2020
BookishMonster

Quote:
Truly.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #2021
BookishMonster

Quote:
Duh...

Yep, that did it once I focused and looked for the proper file. Though in defense of my idiocy the real enemy is Amazon.

A MILLION thank yous! @knc1, @eschwartz, @GoSharks
Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #2022
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
- - - -
Quote:
- - - - -
Yep, that did it once I focused and looked for the proper file.
- - - - - -
Credit where credit is due.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #2023
BookishMonster

Quote:
Credit where credit is due.

I tried, but failed... (yet again)

Hopefully succeeded here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=2021

Please forgive this lowly serf.
I am but a humble and not learned in the ways of the Force.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #2024
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

I tried, but failed... (yet again)

Hopefully succeeded here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=2021

Please forgive this lowly serf.
I am but a humble and not learned in the ways of the Force.
We can't know what things need to be improved, and/or better described unless people tell us their troubles.

For instance, it is beginning to sound from the posts of the past few days like we need another 'spoiler' of directions in the very first post specifically for the people that have had their PW-1 and PW-2 OTA updated.

- - - -

As for being upset with Amazon . . . .
Don't even get me started (again), everyone has read my rants before.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #2025
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Truly.
I meant me. I shouldn't have missed that...

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch