Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #1981
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Huh, that's a new bit of UI feedback...
You can grab a tar.gz of the 5.6.1.1 initramfs from my "Inside ..." thread attachment.
Just for your reading pleasure.
Somewhere in there is the OTA updater routines.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 AM   #1982
Antoron
Antoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Am I right in understanding, that the easiest way to downgrade from 5.6* (i.e.5.6.2.1) on PW2 with latest jailbreak (to 5.4.3.2 for example) is through images from backup by a Rescue Pack, SSH and diags menu?
Antoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #1983
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoron View Post
Am I right in understanding, that the easiest way to downgrade from 5.6* (i.e.5.6.2.1) on PW2 with latest jailbreak (to 5.4.3.2 for example) is through images from backup by a Rescue Pack, SSH and diags menu?
Probably so, if those survive the update.

So far, no one has posted their experiences in trying it.
So do post your experiences.
Even start a new thread on the subject, this one is getting long.

- - - -

Me, myself, I am dealing with the transition from 5.4.x to 5.6.x on all of my PW1 devices.

(I do my most work when pissed off at the Vendor and this dropping a ton of bricks on my nicely working PW1 devices qualifies, big time.)
Old 07-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #1984
coolbird
coolbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
My PW2 was a victim of silent 5.6.2.1 OTA update, the device had outdated jailbreak prior to the update but it seemed I was able to get the jailbreak back after installing the "JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix", since I am able to run chess and minesweeper from the KUAL. The problem is I can't run the KOReader anymore, nothing happened after I clicked filemanager or tried to open the last read document. I tried both the latest nightly and the stable version. I think I am missing the MKK, which is supposed to be included in the 1.14 jailbreak. I tried to install the MKK bin using the MR Package installer but the installer doesn't seem to work either. I put the bin file in mrpackages folder and click "Install MR Packages" in KUAL helper menu but nothing happened, just some text flashing thru at the bottom of the screen and no reboot. Any idea of what is my problem and how to fix it? Thanks a lot for your help!
coolbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #1985
KindlePaperwhite
KindlePaperwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi sorry i'm still a noob haha how do I even check my Kindle Paperwhite 2 firmware?.
I really want to jailbreak it but I need the downloads and I am not sure what firmware I am on.
KindlePaperwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #1986
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindlePaperwhite View Post
Hi sorry i'm still a noob haha how do I even check my Kindle Paperwhite 2 firmware?.
I really want to jailbreak it but I need the downloads and I am not sure what firmware I am on.
home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> device info

Last edited by knc1; 07-02-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #1987
Saraf
Saraf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Guys, I'm a newbie to Kindle having just been given a Kindle PW2 by my sister. It's running 5.4.4.2 as she always had it in Airplane mode to minimise ads apparently, and I have just discovered this site and Calibre. However, I'd like to jb the device but I'm running into a few issues.

I downloaded the zipped file onto my Mac and unzipped the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of my Kindle (which I assume is Documents/My Kindle Content) and followed the instructions but "Update my Kindle" remains greyed out no matter what I do. I have attempted this several times with no luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
Saraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #1988
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraf View Post
Guys, I'm a newbie to Kindle having just been given a Kindle PW2 by my sister. It's running 5.4.4.2 as she always had it in Airplane mode to minimise ads apparently, and I have just discovered this site and Calibre. However, I'd like to jb the device but I'm running into a few issues.

I downloaded the zipped file onto my Mac and unzipped the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of my Kindle (which I assume is Documents/My Kindle Content) and followed the instructions but "Update my Kindle" remains greyed out no matter what I do. I have attempted this several times with no luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
I don't know the representation of file trees used by the Mac, so maybe some ascii pictures?

/documents
/system
/<**contents**> of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip here>

Continue to keep it in airplane mode.
You must protect against the 5.6.1.1 OTA update until later in this procedure.

I.E:
After the JB:
  • you will need to install KUAL
  • you will need to install the Backdoor Lock
  • you will need to lock the backdoor
and then:

you will have to contact Amazon CS to have the Special Offers ads removed.
Note that you will have to put the Kindle on-line to get the SO removed both on the Kindle and in the Amazon database.
Which is the reason for getting the Backdoor lock installed and locked before going through with the remove SO process.

PS: Get this package from NiLuJe's snapshot thread, it was updated a few weeks ago.
(prefix: tools, click show threads, find thread on smaller list)

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:12 PM   #1989
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Documents/My Kindle Content -- sounds suspiciously like your Mac user account's Documents folder, and specifically the subfolder containing your Kindle for Mac books.

Are you absolutely sure you are putting the files into the mounted drive? It should have a label in the bookmarks panel in Finder. And an eject icon, because it is a mounted drive.

FWIW -- Not being a Mac user either, I am nevertheless 99% positive Macs put externally mounted drives in the /Volumes folder.

ETA: And yeah, like knc1 said, it should have "documents" and "system" folders in there already. "{kindle_drive}/documents" contains your books. So that would be another giveaway...

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-04-2015 at 11:20 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #1990
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraf View Post
Guys, I'm a newbie to Kindle having just been given a Kindle PW2 by my sister. It's running 5.4.4.2 as she always had it in Airplane mode...!
If it's running fw 5.4.4.2 than her Kindle is PW1
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #1991
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
If it's running fw 5.4.4.2 than her Kindle is PW1
Keep it in airplane mode anyway.
There is a 5.6.x firmware series OTA for the PW1 in the air also.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #1992
kuoirad
kuoirad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Greetings,

My PW1 seems to have picked up a "silent" update to 5.6.1.1. After reading through things, I'm pretty sure my jailbreak wasn't up-to-date, and when I try the hotfix noted in the OP, I get the same "invalid update file" error that oumlaut was getting in post 1979.

I'm suspecting I'm SOL in getting my screensaver hack back - it's annoying, but not the end of the world. I honestly don't know what version of the jailbreak I used to have on my PW, it might have been 1.9 (w/ screensaver hack 0.17).

If there are other things I can try that I haven't found yet, or the devs would like another guinea pig, please let me know, I'm happy to help test things.
kuoirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #1993
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
My PW1 seems to have picked up a "silent" update to 5.6.1.1. After reading through things, I'm pretty sure my jailbreak wasn't up-to-date, and when I try the hotfix noted in the OP, I get the same "invalid update file" error that oumlaut was getting in post 1979.
Greetings to you too!

@NiLuJe had saved us on the 17th with his updated JailBreak hotfix. It will restore your JailBreak on 5.6.1.1. Then you will need to install KUAL, KUAL Helper, and MobileRead Package Installer. After that you can reinstall anything you need from NiLuJe's snapshots.

I have just reinstalled USBNetwork and ScreenSaver hacks.

Good luck.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #1994
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Hi Guys,

My Kindle PW1 was JB'ed & running 5.3.9 before I put it away. Now that I turned it back on, it updated to 5.6.1.1 and the JB is no longer working. I tried JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix to no avail. I then tried to install KUAL but that didn't seem to work either. Not sure why.

I have 2 full BU's of my Kindle. Both are 5.3.0. One is with ads and the other is w/o ads. If I put my Kindle into Airplane Mode and overwrite all my files with one of the BU's, would I then be able to get back to 5.6.1.1 with a working JB? I appreciate your reply as I don't want to take a chance bricking it. Thanks.

Fred
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #1995
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFritz View Post
Hi Guys,

My Kindle PW1 was JB'ed & running 5.3.9 before I put it away. Now that I turned it back on, it updated to 5.6.1.1 and the JB is no longer working. I tried JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix to no avail. I then tried to install KUAL but that didn't seem to work either. Not sure why.
When did you try that hot fix?
It was updated two days ago.
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFritz View Post
I have 2 full BU's of my Kindle. Both are 5.3.0. One is with ads and the other is w/o ads. If I put my Kindle into Airplane Mode and overwrite all my files with one of the BU's, would I then be able to get back to 5.6.1.1 with a working JB? I appreciate your reply as I don't want to take a chance bricking it. Thanks.

Fred
That sounds like you mean you have a backup of the USB visible user's storage area.

That is only a small sub-tree of the entire system.
You can't fix it that way, sorry.

If you mean something else by "BU of all my files" - then please be specific.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch