Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #76
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
I just tested out the upgraded browser but I noticed a flaw. The delete bookmarks is not showing up as an option when you long press the bookmarks. Anyone else have this issue?

OK I found it. I just had to turn my fire to portrait mode. It's hidden below the visibility line in landscape mode.

Last edited by MikeGolf; 03-29-2012 at 09:40 PM.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #77
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Dear Lord I finally got the update installed. Gee just give 36 annoying hours and l'll figure it out. I guess I now understand what the problem was MAYBE.
Okay, dumb question. If my KF is rooted, do I just unroot it with OTA RootKeeper and then install the update and all is well or do I have to follow the complex instructions on XDA forums?
@beej231 How did you do it?

Thanks.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #78
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
I just tested out the upgraded browser but I noticed a flaw. The delete bookmarks is not showing up as an option when you long press the bookmarks. Anyone else have this issue?

OK I found it. I just had to turn my fire to portrait mode. It's hidden below the visibility line in landscape mode.
You don't need to flip to portrait, you can scroll the popup menu with your finger just like a web page.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #79
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Okay, dumb question. If my KF is rooted, do I just unroot it with OTA RootKeeper and then install the update and all is well or do I have to follow the complex instructions on XDA forums?
@beej231 How did you do it?

Thanks.
It was a giant pain in the ass. I'd follow the instructions and prevent hours of agony.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #80
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarky View Post
I am trying very hard not to laugh at your misadventure. This was the first update that I didn't try to beat Amazon to the punch and I woke up this morning and mine was updated. No stress, no mess.

And please don't take my amusement at your frustration the wrong way, I too have been frustrated by an update that I couldn't wait for...I just love to tinker with that stuff and get a great sense of accomplishment when what I'm tinkering with works.
No problem. I'm sure I'll be amused eventually.
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #81
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I got 6.3 now on mine. It came OTA not stressing this time to get it to DL. I guess I hadnt noticed and hadnt been here in a few days to read about its launch.

I like the "glasses" mode for reading webpages with Silk. Very nice and unclutterted

Re-synch with wifi does seem faster although I never had issues but its 1 sec now instead of 3 seconds before

I do wish they had fixed the auto correct bug on the keyboard (even when turned off it still auto-corrects!!!)

Last edited by salsaguy; 03-30-2012 at 03:40 AM.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #82
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I LOVE that glasses feature too. It is GREAT! I think I still prefer Readability though. I'm so spoiled with my Safari extensions that let me push it to the apps or directly to the Kindle.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #83
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
Er, it is not released to xda-developers at all. Nobody there got a pre-release version or anything.

What happened is that some smart person divined the new download URL based on the naming scheme Amazon has been using. This was possible once one person got the update OTA automatically and reported the version number. Nothing too hard about it really.

No magic or pre-releases going on there.

Once the Amazon version could be downloaded, it was rooted quickly enough and the pre-rooted version made available.

The new root exploit is significantly more complicated than the last, so that I am afraid to try it... but if I can avoid getting the update automatically I'm considering trying the pre-rooted version (you can't install that once you have already gotten 6.3).

As for the root check... it is a little misleading to say "Amazon can tell" if a device is rooted. Yes there is a root check that runs at boot, but there's no evidence -- yet -- that it phones home to Amazon in any way. It's more accurate to say that your Fire can tell if it's rooted - this may have been put in as an additional check used with the existing streaming Prime video root check. That particular root check is really understandable to me, since Amazon doesn't want to take a chance on some hacker being able to figure out how to get free Prime streaming without Prime - that would kill their licensing agreements.

Keeping an eye on the xda-developers forums is definitely a good idea if you're interested in the whole rooting thing, though the discussion can lean a lot more towards custom roms rather than those of us who just want to add a few things to stock rather than rip & replace.
I guess the whole "6.3 was released to developers" must have been a story planted to whip up interest I guess.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #84
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I got 6.3 now on mine. It came OTA not stressing this time to get it to DL. I guess I hadnt noticed and hadnt been here in a few days to read about its launch.

I like the "glasses" mode for reading webpages with Silk. Very nice and unclutterted

Re-synch with wifi does seem faster although I never had issues but its 1 sec now instead of 3 seconds before

I do wish they had fixed the auto correct bug on the keyboard (even when turned off it still auto-corrects!!!)

I've been so annoyed I haven't looked at Silk yet. I'll have to try it out.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #85
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, the reading view thing is nice. It's like article mode on the eink Kindles.
I have been annoyed by the wifi delay a few times...so that's a nice fix.
Did anyone else have to reboot manually to get the Silk changes to show up, even after the device auto updated to 6.3? I did.
I also had to re-install dropbox because it gave me errors after the update, but seems ok now.
That loss of the ability to have downloaded books show up on the shelves without restarting bugs me on principle, but really doesn't have any practical effect on me.
So far I rate this update: "Meh, ok."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #86
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I upgraded and so far I love the Pdocs are now accessible and they are in their own tab too! They lower the brightness on the KF as well.
Yup, brightness now can go down to 2%. (I expect my ScreenDim sales are going to take a hit. But ScreenDim can push it further, down to 0.4%, which I think is better for using in complete darkness.)

And although they haven't quite fixed the subpixel rendering bug, I think they've improved things.

Now if only they hadn't broken the WPA2 key input.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #87
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure if this is related to the 6.3 update, but:
  • Some of my sideloaded MOBIs are no longer showing in the Doc tab
  • A MOBI created with the latest Kindle Previewer 2.4 app and sideloaded to the fire is not recognized

BTW, the MOBI created with the latest Kindle Previewer app displays correctly in Kindle Previewer 2.4, Kindle for PC, and on the K3 Keyboard when sideloaded. On the Fire it is not recognized as a MOBI.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-30-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #88
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Yup, brightness now can go down to 2%. (I expect my ScreenDim sales are going to take a hit. But ScreenDim can push it further, down to 0.4%, which I think is better for using in complete darkness.)

And although they haven't quite fixed the subpixel rendering bug, I think they've improved things.

Now if only they hadn't broken the WPA2 key input.
I still use your app. I need 0.4% to read when the lights are all out. I would still use it for it's presets and contrast control. I've finally gotten use to using the Kindle App instead of Mantano on my Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #89
beej231
Addict

[QUOTE=beej231;2023174]I guess the whole "6.3 was released to developers" must have been a story planted to whip up interest I guess.

And I didn't mean it was released to xda developers first, just to developers in general which seems to happen with a lot of stuff. I assumed that this was for some additional testing and bug chasing, locating vulnerabilities and such--not because they are a privileged group that should have everything early.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #90
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
I still prefer the ScreenDim app - 0.4% is perfect for nighttime….
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote