Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

won't connect to Mac and firmware update

The trusty 350 with firmware 1.0.00.08100 has been working great, still works great with the Reader Library 3.3.00.07130 on Windows.

However, the reader won't appear in the Reader Library on a Mac(latest 10.6.8, MBP). On the left nav bar, next to the black icon where it normally says "Reader", it says "Error" instead, no eject button either(screenshot attached). The reader automounts 2 volumes on the desktop, SETTINGS and READER. I was able to browse the content of both in Finder.

Code:
/dev/disk2          1.5Gi  407Mi  1.1Gi    27%    /Volumes/READER
/dev/disk3           10Mi  6.3Mi  3.6Mi    64%    /Volumes/SETTING

/dev/disk2 on /Volumes/READER (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)
/dev/disk3 on /Volumes/SETTING (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners)

$ ls -tl /Volumes/READER
total 5840
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 j  staff     4096 Jul  7 01:12 .Trashes/
drwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff     4096 Jul  7 01:12 .fseventsd/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff      282 Mar 28 13:51 driveinfo.calibre*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff    64597 Mar 28 13:48 metadata.calibre*
drwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff     4096 Feb 15 02:28 .Spotlight-V100/
drwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff     4096 Jan 12 00:07 Digital Editions/
drwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff     4096 Jan 11 21:44 database/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff     4096 Jan 11 21:27 ._.Trashes*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 j  staff  2892012 Aug  1  2010 User Guide.pdf*

So I tried to update the firmware, however, on the Mac, the update button is grayed out. I have tried reconnecting the reader via USB, nothing.

(reader continues to work standalone and in Windows).

Help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 1.14.55 AM.png
Views:	237
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	73914  
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Might just be a 'permissions' issue or the like - you can repair them in disk utility, or use Applejack, which is my preferred occasional Mac repair routine - works a treat, very easy. Worth giving these a try first...

Applejack here:-
http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

(here's a review of it, if the name sounds slightly worrying ;-) - http://download.cnet.com/AppleJack/3...4_4-40293.html )
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Was it working previously on Mac? This error appeared in the forum previously I believe. The problem seems to be that the Library program doesn't work in 64-bit mode. So you have to boot SL in 32 bit mode.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7t+connect+mac
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
I have the library working fine on Lion with a 64 bit kernel.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
I meant, the Reader Library will work, but the Reader won't get recognized. The Library program shows the Error message. See if the thread mentioned above is describing what your problem is.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I agree about 64-bit mode, I too suffered from this problem. Hold down the 3 and the 2 keys while booting the MBP, then try connecting the 350 again. (You can verify that you are not in 64-bit by choosing About This Mac from the Apple menu, then click the More Info button, then choose Software from the left window pane. Near the bottom of the System Software Overview list is "64-bit Kernal and Extensions" which will indicate YES if it is in 64-bit mode, and NO if it is in 32-bit mode)

I also suggest removing any other USB devices you may have connected to the MBP, this also caused a problem on my iMac.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 07-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

ahhhh, 64bit. I wonder why would the reader demand a kext for normal functioning(probably for DRM). Thank you for the tip, reading the other threads.

RajS, everything is working on Lion, or just the Reader Library app alone?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
Sorry. Didn't look very hard so I didn't notice. The Application is fine. The Reader doesn't connect to it however - it says "error" in the side bar.

But the Reader does show up in the Finder so I can just drag books to it - no issues - so the Operating system isn't having any trouble seeing it.

I'm sure they'll update the Reader Application at some time soon.

Calibre looks fine though.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajS View Post
Sorry. Didn't look very hard so I didn't notice. The Application is fine. The Reader doesn't connect to it however - it says "error" in the side bar.

But the Reader does show up in the Finder so I can just drag books to it - no issues - so the Operating system isn't having any trouble seeing it.

I'm sure they'll update the Reader Application at some time soon.

Calibre looks fine though.
Don't hold your breath for an update soon... this fault has been around for some time...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Reader Library updates are certainly infrequent. They typically only happen when there is a major issue or new models are introduced. The Mac version was only introduced sometime around Dec 2009 so Sony hasn't put many resources towards developing it. For several years, I used to have to boot my Mac into Windows XP and run the PC version of Reader Library in order to manage my books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote