Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelred? View Post

Basically, finding a device that will give a good browsing experience is tricky, but if you're mostly just interested in content then there are a number of ways to convert it for later reading, often automatically.
I am not interested in conversion as that is way too limited. I want actual browsing. I know this may not be ideal on e-ink, but I am interested in which of the currently available readers does this best.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I am referring to this model:
http://www.jetbookk12.com/jetbookcolor/

Actually this is the same as this one:
http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-C920.html

This is Triton e-ink.
Thanks - I thought you were talking about the original Jetbook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main limitation with many eInk web browsers is that they can only display a single window. This is the case with the Kindle's web browser, for example. This means that any site which opens pop-up windows will not work. With my ISP's webmail interface, for example, I can see the list of e-mail messages on my Kindle, but I can't either read or write messages, since both those operations involve pop-up windows.

The Kindle's web browser works pretty well, given the limitations of eInk screens. It will display even quite complex sites quite nicely.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I know that the op asked for an 8"+ model, still I would like to mention, that the PRS-T1 gives me quite a nice browsing experience, considering the fact, that it is just a 6" device. Certainly better, than expected.
Pinch & zoom, double-tapping on a column zooms you in automatically to the correct width.

It depends a bit on what you actually want to read.
I use it for gmail, google, and a few magazines, all of this in "mobile" version and I really like it.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
I know that the op asked for an 8"+ model, still I would like to mention, that the PRS-T1 gives me quite a nice browsing experience, considering the fact, that it is just a 6" device. Certainly better, than expected.
Pinch & zoom, double-tapping on a column zooms you in automatically to the correct width.

It depends a bit on what you actually want to read.
I use it for gmail, google, and a few magazines, all of this in "mobile" version and I really like it.
Does it have multiple window support, or is it restricted to a single window, like the Kindle's browser?
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it have multiple window support, or is it restricted to a single window, like the Kindle's browser?
It's pretty much the standard Android Browser, so yes it can open multiple windows, you can even choose to open a link in a new window by holding your finger on the link for a few seconds. Not sure if that helps with pop ups though. Do you have an link to a side that doesn't work on the kindle to check out (that doesn't need registration if possible)?

Edit: Just tested it with a browser game and popups work fine

Last edited by Abtacha; 12-11-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's good to hear; the single window aspect of the Kindle's browser is a significant shortcoming.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #23
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Why in hell

Quote:
I am not interested in conversion as that is way too limited. I want actual browsing. I know this may not be ideal on e-ink, but I am interested in which of the currently available readers does this best.

Most of the big screen readers have still considearble problems in doing right what they are supposed to do: offer a good reading experience plus managing content plus easy navigation.
The browser was added for buying additional books without problems.
Why anyone wants so browse the web on an ereader is frankly spoken beyond me.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Most of the big screen readers have still considearble problems in doing right what they are supposed to do: offer a good reading experience plus managing content plus easy navigation.
The browser was added for buying additional books without problems.
Not everyone has a smartphone, and the ability to do occasional web browsing from the Kindle can occasionally be useful, especially things like looking up topics in Wikipedia.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #25
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Because I am staring at a laptop LCD all day at work. E-ink is better for my eyes for browsing at home.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #26
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Sony T1 in action on the web.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKCDXwCmPUA

I am impressed, it is pretty fast.
I wonder if the PRS-950 has the same speed. Probably not.

Does any of the larger devices have the same speed as the T1?

Obviously the new Mirasol display will be the best, but that is at least a year before more devices use it. It is basically a 30 fps e-ink screen.

Last edited by BlackVoid; 12-12-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #27
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Options

Quote:
Because I am staring at a laptop LCD all day at work. E-ink is better for my eyes for browsing at home.
Okay, I understand, still I would prefer to browse at the job - b/w browsing
can't be fun.
What about that: Ectaco Jetbook Color.
Goes for $499 and will be sold starting January 2012.
This should make you happy ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #28
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Web-serfing on e-ink is good only for very patient person ))) It is too slow for me, I prefer to use iPAD for web readings. I just use web on reader to download books or papers. You have to try before buying how it is in real life.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #29
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Based on the video linked above, I am going with the Sony PRS-T1. It is quite fast for e-ink and also very affordable.

I am holding off my big-screen reader purchase until a better technology is available (Mirasol?).
Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #30
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
The PB903 has multiple tabs - there are some videos comparing brwosing with PB903 and Onyx M92, you can look at them either here:
http://baach.de/Members/jhb/-compari...-onyx-boox-m92
or from post 78 in the first thread in the Onyx subforum - I am not sure whether he tries to open several windows. In teh PB903 (and I suppose in teh M92 too) you can also view in landscape mode. Bear in mind that videos won't work. Enjoy!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote