Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Dernhelm
Dernhelm began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
eReader & eWriter

I'm searching high and low for information on a couple of these eReaders (by which I mean any of these eBook readers with an eInk display), and it just doesn't seem to be out there! Perhaps there are some owners who would be in a position to tell me what the reviewers and promotion pages do not say!

I would like to write plain .txt files with my eReader.

Alternatively, with WiFi I could use some online app—or even save-as-draft in Gmail would be enough.

I don't require an amazing keyboard, as I'm really not going to be doing a lot of typing. But I doubt a touchscreen keyboard is quite going to hack it. The PocketReader 302 claims on the home page to allow the connection of a keyboard via USB. It also has bluetooth..maybe not possible to use that with a bluetooth keyboard though. Is this the solution? Add this [<--take a look!] to the black 302 and it would be a pretty neat little text editor/eReader! If it worked. If anyone knows if a USB keyboard works on the PocketBook 302 I would SO like to know!

I'll admit that my first choice was the Sony Reader Daily Edition. The size is perfect, in my opinion, and it's just a really solid little gadget. (I'm a fast reader. I want a reasonably large amount of text on the screen without the reader being huge.) The WiFi is limited to their bookstore though. Is anyone aware of a way to...hack this one so it would cooperate with my requirements?

If anyone is aware of another eReader that would help me with reading AND writing basic text files with an eInk display so I can work outside comfortably...I'd be so happy to hear of it!!!

Thank you for any hints, tips, help, info...etc. which you may yet share!
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Pixel QI

I think maybe the perfect device for you hasn't been made yet. There is some new tech which may be of interest.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pixel-q...ns-08-03-2010/

There might come new netbook products which has a dual-mode lcd screen. Which works great in sunlight as a black & white without backlight or in color mode with backlight.

Sony Reader

I own a Sony PRS-600, although it is a great reading device it is not suitable for taking notes beyond a few short sentences or so. E-ink displays are quite slow, so they are really not good for high levels of interactivity like writing text files. You can type faster on the touch keyboard (although slow) than the display manages to respond (slower).

Moleskine

I use one of those overpriced notebooks fore notetaking as a companion to my Reading device. Moleskines have good paper, a bookmark, a strap and a small pocket in the back to keep loose notes and receipts.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook 302 will support keyboards in the next firmware update, which will come this month.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Dernhelm
Dernhelm began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
Good info about the PB302! Thanks!!!

And indeed, that would be the ideal gadget for me! How I wish these things would get into production faster... Unfortunately it won't help me with next semester's work.

I may take your suggestion—a notebook along is a very appealing option for much of my writing. I do require some ability to actually type because I'll want to do a small amount of programming, and it doesn't quite work to write that out. But given that that requires a good deal more thinking than typing...it's good to know that the Sony does have the ability to save notes! Can you tell me if these notes can be exported as txt files, or something along those lines?

Thank you—this is definitely helping me figure out my options!
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
In general, I think tovare probably has the right idea with the Pixel Qi devices coming, but since we have yet to see any make it to market, you can still look at existing products.

You might look at existing dual-mode devices such as the Spring Design Alex, or the Entourage Edge. The Edge is aimed at students but sounds like a good fit for your needs, though it is not small, and size seemed to be one of your concerns. There is even an existing discussion about using it with external keyboards: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...d-for-the-eDGe

Good luck in the search,
The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
There might be something cool from Asus this year, they're way of with the price-point but that may change when information becomes more concrete:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/a...-october-pric/
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Pocketbook 302 will support keyboards in the next firmware update, which will come this month.
Wow, does this mean any keyboard, including USB keyboards, will work with the Pocketbooks? Thanks! I'm really looking forward to being able to write on a screen that holds still.
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The new capability will come with the new models too. However, they're taking their sweet time to program it...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
renushan
Enthusiast
renushan began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Hi Dernhelm, it's been some time you've asked this question (I've only just noticed it!), but I have a suggestion on this: did you know about Asus eee Note? http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Note/Eee_Note_EA800/
renushan is offline   Reply With Quote